"Best" monitor for 4K/UHD/HDR Video and photo Editing?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Midway

With an M2 Max MacBook Pro ordered I am starting to research a new computer monitor appropriate for both photo and 4K/HDR/UHD video editing. I assume any monitor in that class can switch between the MacBook Pro or my desktop. I do have a large format inkjet printer.

I currently run two monitor’s with my desktop, an older NEC MultiSync PA271W that doesn’t calibrate very well anymore and a MultiSync PA272W that I am still able to calibrate accurately. Neither are 4K. I would either replace the older NEC or use the new monitor in a different room. 27” would be fine while it seems many of the options are around 32” which would be OK as well. The MacBook Pro display may be good enough on its own as the least expensive option.

I’m starting to search for “Best 4K computer monitors for 4K video and photo editing” and finding a large range in pricing. Manufacturers vary as well. Interesting Apple doesn’t come up in many lists, BenQ seems to be a newer and popular mid-priced option. Dell comes up a few times. NEC’s offering appears to be discontinued. Lots of things to consider but I can take my time.

Any suggestions from the group on specific manufactures and models? How about trustworthy, relevant review sites that help evaluate the top options? Budget TBD. I expected somewhere in the $1500 range but am finding a few less than that and many well over that.

Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display at 1 billion colors and:

Up to four external displays: Up to three external displays with 6K resolution at 60Hz over Thunderbolt and one external display with up to 4K resolution at 144Hz over HDMI

Up to three external displays: Up to two external displays with 6K resolution at 60Hz over Thunderbolt and one external display with up to 8K resolution at 60Hz or one external display with 4K resolution at 240Hz over HDMI

Thanks.

With an M2 Max MacBook Pro ordered I am starting to research a new computer monitor appropriate for both photo and 4K/HDR/UHD video editing. I assume any monitor in that class can switch between the MacBook Pro or my desktop. I do have a large format inkjet printer.

I currently run two monitor’s with my desktop, an older NEC MultiSync PA271W that doesn’t calibrate very well anymore and a MultiSync PA272W that I am still able to calibrate accurately. Neither are 4K. I would either replace the older NEC or use the new monitor in a different room. 27” would be fine while it seems many of the options are around 32” which would be OK as well. The MacBook Pro display may be good enough on its own as the least expensive option.

I’m starting to search for “Best 4K computer monitors for 4K video and photo editing” and finding a large range in pricing. Manufacturers vary as well. Interesting Apple doesn’t come up in many lists, BenQ seems to be a newer and popular mid-priced option. Dell comes up a few times. NEC’s offering appears to be discontinued. Lots of things to consider but I can take my time.

Any suggestions from the group on specific manufactures and models? How about trustworthy, relevant review sites that help evaluate the top options? Budget TBD. I expected somewhere in the $1500 range but am finding a few less than that and many well over that.

Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display at 1 billion colors and:

Up to four external displays: Up to three external displays with 6K resolution at 60Hz over Thunderbolt and one external display with up to 4K resolution at 144Hz over HDMI

Up to three external displays: Up to two external displays with 6K resolution at 60Hz over Thunderbolt and one external display with up to 8K resolution at 60Hz or one external display with 4K resolution at 240Hz over HDMI

Thanks.

For video, I find that all $1500+ from the brands tou mentioned do excellent job. Personally, i have the best experience with the Dells. One advice, get a bigger monitor to keep the maximum number of panels on Premiere or DaVinci open.

I purchased a couple of the LG - 42" Class C2 OLED evo 4K UHD Smart TV's which work well as a TV and computer monitor. Cost was about $1K @ BB. I use one for gaming on the PC and one in the living room to display my Photo's as a mounted picture frame on the wall. I spent time researching high-end printers only to realize that the cost vs. resolution loss cannot compare to a 4K or 8K TV monitor. I simply insert a large USB jump-drive into the TV and it cycles thru photo's based on specific directories. I have accumulated many photo's over the years and this is the most efficient way to display them. It supports video playback as well: LG Video playback support link
I also use the TV to watch football from our dinner table ;-)

I purchased a couple of the LG - 42" Class C2 OLED evo 4K UHD Smart TV's which work well as a TV and computer monitor. Cost was about $1K @ BB. I use one for gaming on the PC and one in the living room to display my Photo's as a mounted picture frame on the wall. I spent time researching high-end printers only to realize that the cost vs. resolution loss cannot compare to a 4K or 8K TV monitor. I simply insert a large USB jump-drive into the TV and it cycles thru photo's based on specific directories. I have accumulated many photo's over the years and this is the most efficient way to display them. It supports video playback as well: LG Video playback support link
I also use the TV to watch football from our dinner table ;-)

Thanks. I am a big fan of OLED for TV, movies and displaying photographs and they are great for off center angled viewing. Image retention is not a big concern with OLED screens for me but it is a remote possibility. “Due to potential burn-in issues, it’s usual for OLED models to have an ABL (Automatic Brightness Limiter) that limits luminance when a significant amount of brighter content is displayed.” I would not want brightness levels changing when editing and assume it can be turned off at some risk.

32 inches is as large as I care to go. I will use the monitor only in an office and will sit directly in front of the screen so an LCD’s off-center viewing disadvantage is not a concern. I prefer OLED over LCD in nearly every case but not sure it is the best option for a dedicated computer monitor. I will do some more research on that. Interesting that the video editing positioned LG 32BP95E-B 31.5" 4K HDR Monitor is $4,500.00! I have an LG 77” CX OLED in my living room and love it. I am not a gamer though I realize the LG OLED’s, including my previous generation to your LG model, are great for gaming.

I agree about the burn-in concerns and the dimming features on OLED's. I have turned off the dimming features on OLED's and saw a picture brightness improvement. The LG 32BP95E-B 31.5" 4K HDR Monitor is very expensive. I looked at the spec's and it is impressive. My OLED was $1K so that is all I was willing to pay for my use-cases. I use a second monitor on my game PC (Dell 27"), so I keep most of my static work on the dell monitor and video/photo editing and gaming on the OLED. I shut it off the OLED while not in use. I wonder how LG market such an expensive monitor $4.5K when the spec's on my OLED seems just as good or better? Must be some new cutting-edge technology. Just make sure you have the proper video card to support DP displays.

FWIW I just looked at one of the Dell's specs and the don't even clearly state their color space coverage. Compare to this Eizo one that says 99% of Adobe. I think you want to focus on that in addition to the resolution.
I don't remember where I found them, but it's somewhere on their site. The wide gamut monitors are 100% sRGB and somewhere around 96% AdobeRGB. This is a couple years back.

I have owned NEC MultiSync monitors for years and have been greatly disappointed in their retreat from the photo market (i.e. wide gamut monitors). The two brands that I frequently hear mentioned are BenQ as the budget option, and Eizo as the premium option. Both are probably worth a look, but I would confirm with reputable reviews before spending that much on a brand/model that you are not familiar with.

Good luck,

--Ken

Last edited:
FWIW I just looked at one of the Dell's specs and the don't even clearly state their color space coverage. Compare to this Eizo one that says 99% of Adobe. I think you want to focus on that in addition to the resolution.

Yest they do. It's right at the top of the page you linked in the overview section:

Color Gamut

• 100% Rec 709
  • 100% sRGB
  • 98% DCI-P3

Yest they do. It's right at the top of the page you linked in the overview section:

Color Gamut

• 100% Rec 709
  • 100% sRGB
  • 98% DCI-P3
To the OP, note that this Dell monitor does not specify that it can display 99-100% of Adobe RGB. DCI-P3 may be about the same size color space as Adobe RGB, but it is not the same shape and is not a common color space for still images (and printing). Are you looking to display 99-1005 Adobe RGB, like your NEC monitors?

--Ken

To the OP, note that this Dell monitor does not specify that it can display 99-100% of Adobe RGB. DCI-P3 may be about the same size color space as Adobe RGB, but it is not the same shape and is not a common color space for still images (and printing). Are you looking to display 99-1005 Adobe RGB, like your NEC monitors?

--Ken

Yes, I was aware of that. Adobe RGB is important for my printer and printer profiles. Like Dell leaving out Adobe RGB (1998) coverage, Dell also neglects to list if they have HDMI 2.0 or 2.1. Not a lot of HDMI 2.1 monitors and I'm not a gamer but it would be nice to have since the M2 Max MacBook Pro supports it. I assume/hope it is at a minimum HDMI 2.0 and if 2.1 was supported it would be prominently listed. Thanks.

An upgraded HDMI 2.1 port on both new MacBook Pro models supports one external display with up to 8K resolution at 60Hz, or 4K resolution at 240Hz.

I have a very expensive 31" Eizo monitor at home, the CG319x, that is 4K, It is excellent, but I'm not sure if that investment is justified from the quality obtained, probably a part of the price is to pay the brand name.
My friend from the other side is happy with his Eizo CS2740 that is also 4k. The price is more than 1k but not too much.

Oh okay, didn't know that.
No worries. It happened recently and I am presuming it was due in part to their merger with Sharp. It is disappointing as they made a great product that offered good quality and good value. I am good for the moment, but have also been wrestling with which way to go when I do need a new monitor - Eizo or BenQ.

--Ken

Apple doesn’t come up in many lists.
Why is this?

Apart from price*—let's leave that aside for the moment—what downsides are there to complementing a top-of-the-range MacBook Pro with an Apple Studio Display?

… David

* Note: Depending on specification, an Apple Studio Display will be priced between 25% and 35% of the cost of a maxed-out MacBook Pro.

Last edited:
Why is this?

Apart from price*—let's leave that aside for the moment—what downsides are there to complementing a top-of-the-range MacBook Pro with an Apple Studio Display?

… David

* Note: Depending on specification, an Apple Studio Display will be priced between 25% and 35% of the cost of a maxed-out MacBook Pro.

I am not closed to an Apple display, I just haven't found many recommendations in the "Best monitor for photo and 4K/UHD/HDR video editing. I want a display I can use on both my MacBook Pro and my Windows Desktop. I read very good reviews for the much more expensive Apple Pro Display XDR but I'm not sure it can be used with a Windows PC. The few reviews I've read on the Apple Studio Display have not been convincing over alternatives. Thanks.

Back