Best paper for photo printing

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Ivan Rothman

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I'm getting back into printing and I just ordered the Epson SureColor P900 17" printer. My photography is mostly wildlife.
My question is what paper(s) give the most satisfying results.
Among Epson paper, there is Premium Photo Paper, Ultra Premium Photo Paper, Metallic Photo Paper. And then there are choices of using semigloss and Luster. I've never been a fan of glossy. In the past I did like the Luster option. And there is the question of whether it is worth spending the significantly extra cost of something like the Ultra Premium paper.
Does anyone have experience and preferences for any of these papers?
Or would you use Canon paper in an Epson printer?

I'm getting back into printing and I just ordered the Epson SureColor P900 17" printer. My photography is mostly wildlife.
Among Epson paper, there is Premium Photo Paper, Ultra Premium Photo Paper, Metallic Photo Paper. And then there are choices of using semigloss and Luster. I've never been a fan of glossy. In the past I did like the Luster option. And there is the question of whether it is worth spending the significantly extra cost of something like the Ultra Premium paper.

You can use any paper. Many of the better paper companies sell sample boxes, give you a feel for what you like best. I use Red River.

I wasn't aware that Canon and Epaon sell higher-end paper.

Hi Ivan, you've opened a can of worms and will likely receive a fair number of suggestions. Printing is an art form and as such the intent is the result of the artist's vision. There isn't a correct medium in which prints must be created and it will be up to you to determine what you like. Printing on paper is highly individualized and involves color, texture, feel, reflectivity, and other characteristics. You'll have to make the decisions with respect to how you want to convey the image. My best recommendation is to purchase some sample packs of papers from vendors who support the color profiles with you printers. Find an image which you think is representative of what you like to print and then duplicate in on a variety of papers.

Other factors to consider are how are you intending to display the image? Behind glazing, bare mounted, etc. as this will influence the type of paper you print on. Are "archival" properties important to you? Then you should consider using OBA free cotton or alpha cellulose substrates. Epson's papers are outsourced to different manufacturers and vary tremendously. In addition to their selections, you might want to look at the offerings from Hahnemuhle, Canson, Red River, etc. and Canon if they provide profiles for the P900.

Again, there isn't a right or wrong answer and after a while of experimenting (it's part of the journey) you'll likely settle in on some favorites and which paper you choose will likely be influenced by the issues mentioned. For example, I have a series of snowy owl images which are more monochromatic in nature (white, brown, etc.) and they are spectacular on a matte paper. They wouldn't work on something more reflective as the whiteness would be overbearing on those media. In contrast, I have a magnificent egret image against brilliant fall reeds which glows with beautiful dimensionality and color on a soft gloss paper whereas it would look flat on a matte paper. Hopefully, some of these perspectives help? PM me if you want specific suggestions.

Until recently, I outsourced all my prining. I added the Canon Pro 300 (13 X 19 inch) last year. I have a lot to learn about color profiles for various papers. I have tried the sample packs from Red River and some of the premium Canon papers. (I had Epson printers and used some Epson papers but that was all dye based and no longer applicable for me) I sometimes enter a wildlife print in competitions. When I do I generally print on a semi gloss, paper somewhere are 68 lb. These papers are also called lustre, or satin finish paper. For prints headed for a wall, I use a heavier, cotton rag paper. Paper color and brightness varies but I use higher brightness for gloss or semi gloss papers, Less concerned with matte finishes. It really is up to you to see what you like best because print quality is so subjective.

Variety! that’s part of the creative process. I use Red River papers and their printer profiles with my Epson 13” printer and Canon 17” printer. I also use Frame Destination frames.

Finestra Premium Luster is an inexpensive plastic coated paper comparable to the Epson branded papers and is available on amazon. Most of the Luster and Glossy paper is plastic coated. Epson rebrands paper, they don't make it.

Canson Baryta is my favorite real paper, like glossy fiber photo paper dried mat.

(I own a P800)

I've a Canon Pro 300, so only does 13". Tried many papers and have really enjoyed several Hahnemuhle 13x19 sample packs, often available from B&H. Don't know if they have any larger, but it's enjoyable to try a variety of textures.

Last edited:
Another fan of Red River papers here, and they have a lot of information about printing on their website as well as a sampler of different papers (letter sized) at a reasonable price.

As others have said, paper selection is part of the artistic process, so you may want to start with a few types and see what you like the best for different shots. Be warned: there are a lot of really terrific papers out there, and you may find yourself accumulating quite an inventory—types, sizes, you name it!

Congrats on the P900 Ivan. After years of owning an Epson 9900 and having it fail, I too just ordered a P900. My son has the previous version and it has performed well for him.

My plan is to use Epson Premium Luster 8.5x11 to dial in a print before printing 13x19 or 17x22 on Epson Platine (smooth satin) which became one of my favorite papers before my Epson 9900 developed the fatal ink head blockage failure.

So I recommend Epson Platine for your best work. Yes it is pricey but after spending top dollar for all the equipment/software, etc. to produce the images why not go for the best final output on one's "select" images.

Owning a printer and using it with a calibrated monitor advanced my processing skills more than anything else I can think of. And a print brings the captured image full circle. I also look at a print as another way of preserving/ archiving a captured image.

Good luck with your new printer!

Last edited:
You gotta kind of decide what type of finish first.... gloss? matte? luster? Each has its own pluses and minuses. Maybe you like the high gloss or maybe you find it distracting. The matte finish might not give you the blacks youd like to see. Maybe the pebble finish of many luster papers looks cheap. Its not an easy decision and its certainly one that the internet cant make for you.

I'm not a printing expert. Quite the novice actually. I have found after about 100 or so prints that I tend to like the luster papers better than the high gloss, especially for mounting and hanging on the wall behind glass (i.e. framed). If I'm just looking at them like in a photo album, the higher gloss seems to be my preference.

If I'm printing out for someone else, I still send them out to someone like ProDPI or WHCC to have the prints made. They just do a better job.

2 things I've learned in the last year about home / self printing:
1) when you factor in cost of paper, ink and printer - you're not really saving money over having a professional printing house make the prints.
2) there is a pretty steep learning curve and if you're like me doing a few a month there will be some scrap as you experiment a little (see number 1 above).

I guess the professional printing houses are buying ink and paper in bulk vs. what we buy in smaller quantities.

I have an Epson ET-2800 and it does a pretty good job when I do my part. If I were to buy another one, I would seriously consider one that has ink "tanks" vs. using ink cartridges. My general purpose document printer has the ink tank system and it does save money in ink over the long haul.

Hope this is helpful.
Jeff
[edited to correct a typo error]

Last edited:
I generally go to Red River for their papers, though have also ordered from Canson for their Baryta. Maybe try a sample pack then look for the right image to fit the paper you like. A little backward way to approach, but it worked for me.

I might add that once my wife saw a few of my images printed, her support and appreciation of my hobby leapt to another level. :)

My "everyday" paper is Epson Ultra Premium Luster. It's a solid choice for standard prints. I buy it in both rolls and 8.5 x 11 sheets.

I have a half dozen other papers that are used occasionally. To test out a paper I usually buy a 25 sheet pack of 8.5 x 11 paper. That's enough to give the paper a good test and understand how I like it. Often these papers are available by roll or large sheets for thicker papers, so after a test I either buy more based on the expected use and paper characteristics. Among the first papers I looked at were fine grained papers with a smooth but not glossy texture - baryta and velvet papers fit this description. I also have used Hot Press and Cold Press fiber papers for images that need something with more weight and texture. Normally hot press papers are smoother in texture.

I found sample packs included too many sheets I did not want to test, and not enough of the ones I did want to try. I still try a sample pack occasionally, but follow that with a purchase of a 25 sheet pack or roll.

You may want to consider the brightness of paper. With that, the use of optical brighteners is important since the brighteners fade over time and impact longevity of the print. I chose to avoid optical brighteners even though the papers were not quite as bright initially.

Some of the rag papers are very nice and have a texture or feel that is quite different. They work better as large sheets or large prints and in small sizes loose some of that touch.

Very good choice of printer, my P900 has been a real joy to use and a trooper. Like others have said, paper choice is part of your vision, it will heavily influence how your prints look.

That said, I like Red River papers for the P900 and you can pick your printer on their website to see what papers they recommend. They are competitively priced and always happy to help if you call. And they provide very accurate profiles for each paper x printer combination (critical to get the best out of the P900).

My favorite is the Paolo Duro Baryta fiber 300 which is a thick paper with a light texture, and a touch of warmth to it.
Polar Gloss metallic doesn't fit every print but it looks like a metallic print - I love it with highly saturated colors or high contrast images.
Ultra pro luster and ultra pro stain are their workhorse papers that most look like prints you'd get from a lab - I use them for test prints, gifts, competitions... never disappoints and doesn't trigger any negative reaction because it has little character of its own. To me, those papers are too bland for exhibition prints, but they have their uses because they are predictable.

The rag papers and etching papers are not my cup of tea - more artsy than I like for realistic photos (but my daughter loves them for her digital paintings).

Epson papers look good and work well with their printers obviously, and the profiles are pre-loaded so it's a bit easier, but you won't get any phone support if you have any questions (and they do charge a slight premium due to the brand / ease of use).

To me the best approach is to initially try a wide variety, see what you like, narrow it down to 2 to 4 papers that you will master. There is a lot of practice needed and manual adjustments to get the best out of any paper, so you can't be a master at all of them (unless you make that your primary activity).

Have fun, the first few prints are a steep learning curve (calibration only solves some issues but home printing is not an exact science), persevere and the rewards to see your best photos printed on A2 paper and hanging on walls is well worth it.

One suggestion as you get into printing - display your prints. Create a home or office gallery space and plan a schedule to rotate the work. You can make small intimate prints, large prints, theme based selections, color selections, or even something seasonal. For wildlife you might focus on a location, a species, or some similar theme. I use stock frames with standard mats and mat openings.

This approach gives you a reason to print regularly and helps you to see your finished work. It also gives you a chance to live with your prints. Living with your prints for a month or so gives you a chance to understand what prints you really like, which ones nag at you about needing improvement or replacement, and may even refine the way you edit. It also gives you a sense of satisfaction for all the effort you put into the work. You can use Lightroom Collections to build groups of images that fit a theme. It even helps you when you photograph to go out with a clearer purpose in mind.

A gallery can have any size prints - large 16x24 prints or even small 8x10 prints. Very large prints require specialized printers and can be expensive, so I would limit the size based on the printer you own and the paper sizes you use. I've found that landscapes lend themselves to very large prints, but sometimes more intimate scenes or more focused content is required for an 8x10 exhibit.

Very good choice of printer, my P900 has been a real joy to use and a trooper. Like others have said, paper choice is part of your vision, it will heavily influence how your prints look.

That said, I like Red River papers for the P900 and you can pick your printer on their website to see what papers they recommend. They are competitively priced and always happy to help if you call. And they provide very accurate profiles for each paper x printer combination (critical to get the best out of the P900).

My favorite is the Paolo Duro Baryta fiber 300 which is a thick paper with a light texture, and a touch of warmth to it.
Polar Gloss metallic doesn't fit every print but it looks like a metallic print - I love it with highly saturated colors or high contrast images.
Ultra pro luster and ultra pro stain are their workhorse papers that most look like prints you'd get from a lab - I use them for test prints, gifts, competitions... never disappoints and doesn't trigger any negative reaction because it has little character of its own. To me, those papers are too bland for exhibition prints, but they have their uses because they are predictable.

The rag papers and etching papers are not my cup of tea - more artsy than I like for realistic photos (but my daughter loves them for her digital paintings).

Epson papers look good and work well with their printers obviously, and the profiles are pre-loaded so it's a bit easier, but you won't get any phone support if you have any questions (and they do charge a slight premium due to the brand / ease of use).

To me the best approach is to initially try a wide variety, see what you like, narrow it down to 2 to 4 papers that you will master. There is a lot of practice needed and manual adjustments to get the best out of any paper, so you can't be a master at all of them (unless you make that your primary activity).

Have fun, the first few prints are a steep learning curve (calibration only solves some issues but home printing is not an exact science), persevere and the rewards to see your best photos printed on A2 paper and hanging on walls is well worth it.

Paolo Duro Baryta fiber 300 is my favorite as well.

I have an Epson P800 and love it! I use a variety of papers, Canson, Ilford, Hahnemuhle using a mix of Baryta, lustre, meralic and rag type finishes producing prints for competition, depending on the outcome I want to achieve. I have not tried Red River papers which are available from my usual supplier but will explore them over the next months. I might be missing out on something.😀

I initially printed directly from Photoshop, but recently changed to Epson Print Layout, a free plugin for Photoshop, and I find this gives better fine control over the image output. The paper choices are unlimited and the difference the paper choice has on the finalprint output can be very satisfying, when you get it right. 😉

It is worth the time and effort to explore the paper options that are available and choose those that best suit your needs but also understanding how a different paper may better suit the image.

Last edited:
To render the most detail a glossier paper is better. I would look for papers that are known to work well with Epson pigments and not cause a color shift. If you plan to mount them under glass then a glossy print is a better choice.

Ink is so very expensive that when I was doing my own printing I bought a bulk ink kit and then dialed in the printer settings for that ink. You can save 80% or more by doing this. Even when Carley Firorina foolishly bought Compaq, HP was generating more than a billion dollars a year in printer ink profits.

When I was doing my own printing it cost me roughly $1.50 to print an 8x10 and this was more expensive than having it done at a lab. The lab could also mount the print and so no need for a dry mount press or having room available for one.

I like Red River Papers as well. Probably the one I use most is Palo Dura SoftGloss Rag.
I like many of the Red River Papers offerings, depending upon the type of photo, but of all of them, I may just like the Palo Duro Softgloss Rag the most. Other than some canvas rolls, I have more of this paper than any of the others.
I found sample packs included too many sheets I did not want to test, and not enough of the ones I did want to try. I still try a sample pack occasionally, but follow that with a purchase of a 25 sheet pack or roll.
FYI, Red River now gives us the option to order samples of its papers "a la carte:" Build Your Own Red River Papers Sample Pack However, I've purchased many of their regular sample packs, and in doing so, found that I liked some papers that I initially was not interested in.

I've also have a Hahnemuhle Fine Art Papers Sample Pack that I need to try soon. The only regret I have about it is that I only purchased one pack; I wish now that I had purchased two or three of them.

Last edited:
I hope you enjoy your SC-P900 as much as I like mine, Ivan. My only wish for it would be that it came in a 24-inch version. But Epson already makes a 24-inch photo printer, don't they? I just wish that it was a whole lot less than $4500 US!

I hope you enjoy your SC-P900 as much as I like mine, Ivan. My only wish for it would be that it came in a 24-inch version. But Epson already makes a 24-inch photo printer, don't they? I just wish that it was a whole lot less than $4500 US!
When you purchase a 24", you'll wonder why you didn't buy a 48"... seriously.

Back