Best second nikon body and lens for wildlife photography

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I recently git a second body and it has changed the way I shoot.

I shoot with a Z9 and my second body was another Z9. I set them up the same way so they are interchangeable so they work the same way and I don't have to think about knowing two different systems.

What changed with me is I now go on a shoot holding two lenses. I carry the camera/lens on Holdfast dual straps. That way I can quickly shift between lenses as needed. I really like shooting that way. With both on straps I can effectively hand hold both because I only pick up the camera when I am ready to shoot.

in short two bodies for me means being able to move quickly and easily between lenses.

If I choose to use a tripod for the longer lens I can still carry a shorter lens on a string. That way if something appears too close for the long lens I can just pick up the shorter camera and shoot.

I love the combination of the 400mm f4.5 and the 800mnm pf for longer stuff. Where things are closer by I will go 70-200mm f2.8 and the 400.mm.

The Nikon 70-180mm f/2.8 is almost half the weight of the 70-200mm f/2.8 (795g versus 1360 g) and not that much heavier than the 24-120 f/4). Often when we were on safari in Africa, we would be out as the sun went down, so a faster lens was useful though I rarely shot at focal lengths less than 200mm.
Yeah our guides were busting to the sundowner at that hour. No stopping for the photographers until the gin was poured.

Back