Best size for CFExpress & Z9

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

AstroEd

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I am considering getting a Nikon Z9, Currently I use a D500 with a 64GB SD card, I so far take anywhere from 70- 900 images and shoot in the largest RAW file setting no JPG so far.

I am trying to figure out the best sized CFExpress card I would need for a Z9 considering how many images it captures per second over the D500. Any suggestions on best size, brand, and speed?

There are lots of comparisons on YouTube -- the best include those by Ricci Talks and Matt Granger.

I shoot both Lossless RAW at 20 fps (basically 50-60MB per file) and 8k 60p video and use either Delkin Black or Prograde Cobalt cards 650GB each. I have had no issues with these.
What % of that size card do you use on an average day?

I've been happy with the Delkin Black 128/150 GB cards. I get somewhere around 2500 shots at lossless RAW. At the time I got them, they were the fastest cards in the Delkin Black series.

I know you're asking Andy Miller this question, but I'll also answer. I use Delkin Black cards in both 325GB and 150 GB sizes. I have filled up completely the 150 GB cards on a few occasions, but have never completely filled the 325GB card. Saying that, with any modern camera, you could shoot enough in a day to fill up just about any card, save for the biggest, before you fully discharge the battery on a "gripped" camera.

While I can't really point to an average day of shooting for myself, I've reviewed some of my shoot libraries and don't see any of them where I've gone over 50% of a 325GB card's capacity. But then again, I've been a bit pickier with my shots using the Z9 than I tended to be with earlier cameras.

You may not yet,but you might, start shootin video. That eats up cards FAST.

I have 325 GB Prograde Cobalt and have yet to have a problem. There are smaller sizes. If you buy a larger card, it can serve as a final backup when you travel (in case your computer catches a cold (virus).

With an average of 57-58MB per RAW file - 2,000-3,000 images 115-175GB a day - I have shoots where I have exceed 4,000 a day but these are very rare AND I do not rely on one card for this. In addition to the 650GB and older 512GB also have smaller cards that I use when I have filled my primaries or want the safety of using more than one set of cards.

I shoot both stills and vids -- AND it is the vid files that are huge - I find the shooting High-Quality 8.3k 60p 12-bit N-RAW uses ~0.78 GB/second (measured) [the reference guide say 0.578GB/s] = so a 650GB card last 14-18 mins (this can be a little longer). 4k 120p is about 2/3rd of this and obviously other CODEX and settings eat less storage.

"We" find the Delkin cards in the multiple - 150GB, 325GB and 650GB capacity (ie the newest version) are a little quicker than the previous versions -- some folk have tested and believe the 650GB has the highest sustained write speed -- all are rated at 1,530 MB/s minimum -- note that the advertised speed of cards is the read speed not the write speed.

I also use ProgGrade Cobalt cards -- the newest version come in 165GB, 325GB, and 650GB capacity these cards are slightly slower (minimum sustained write speeds up to 1,400MB/s) but are a little cheaper.

I do not use AngelBird, Lexar, or SanDisk CFE-B Cards -- others do.

You can use a XQD card in the studio or when shooting slow fps -- with no issues. BUT out in the field on a game drive shooting big cat action -- I want the best.

Well I did not buy a Z9 for wildlife and not use maximum frame rates..... I was shocked how many frames I took on my recent trip to Florida. I use 625 ProGrade cards in my slot 1 and think that is the right move.

I am considering getting a Nikon Z9, Currently I use a D500 with a 64GB SD card, I so far take anywhere from 70- 900 images and shoot in the largest RAW file setting no JPG so far.

I am trying to figure out the best sized CFExpress card I would need for a Z9 considering how many images it captures per second over the D500. Any suggestions on best size, brand, and speed?
If we ignore shooting video (which would require an entirely different answer), then for any given time you press the shutter on the Z9 at 20FPS you will end up with 2x the number of shots as the D500. Plus the Z9 files are FF files vs the DX files of the D500. You may shoot the Z9 in DX mode a fair amount as it is seamless to shoot DX on MILCs as it fills the EVF with the DX image. You may also use HE* to save on file size (I always used HE* on Z9 and Lossless Compressed on D500).

An FX Z9 file shot in HE* is around 34MB....a DX file 15MB. A D500 file in lossless compressed is around 25MB.

So I'd aim for at minimum 128GB card. I used two 128GB Delkin Power CFExpress B card with overflow (not backup). I shoot a lot more images per day than you do...usually 2-3K and would get into my 2nd card (but not fill it). If you assume you may double your image count because of the 20FPS vs 10FPS getting up to 1800 per day then 128GB should enough even if all are shot in FX mode. If you shoot some in DX it will certainly be enough.

Mine are 150s, set to overflow but would probably be backup if I went to Africa…I carry 1 extra set but have never ever come close to filling a card in a days shooting. A 150 provides over 2,000 uncompressed RAW shots. Granted…I shoot at 12 FPS most of the time, rarely 15 and almost never 20 for culling and PP reasons…but even if I did 20 and stopped at 4 second bursts for buffer capacity reasons…at 80 per burst that’s 25 bursts per card and even if I shot at 20 a 1.5 to 2 second burst seems pretty long. On a bucket list trip…I would probably buy a pair of 300ish cards and use them as primary with my 2 sets of 150s as backups…because an Africa trip is 20K anyway at least and another 1000 for cards and even another 1000 if I wanted to rent a second Z9 and an 800PF is decimal dust as we used to say in the DoD budgeting biz. I’m rarely over about 700 or 800 frames in a day…and think my absolute max is less than 120….and there’s always the high efficiency and hig eff* modes that have little to no effect on IQ from most evaluations I’ve seen and cut the size of the files to half or less IIRC.

As noted…and per your comment about video being a concern…what quality you shoot nd how long the clips are is the issue…I don’t do video but it does fill up cards a lot faster. One issue with video is that you can’t get full capacity RAW shots in the middle of the video…you only get jpeg at 4K (I think, but as I don’t do video I’m just parroting what I think I read) and as a still shooter I want the RAW for PP purposes.

Last edited:
B&H runs specials on the Delkin Black 325Gig cards. Watch for that and snag a couple. Recently they sold for 199, another was 249 with the amazing Delkin reader included. Lots of bang for the buck.
Do you need to keep checking their site or are they included in the marketing emails I get and rarely pay attention to? I could see getting a pair of the 325s for primary and keeping my 4 150s for extra on long trips…but like Steve I backup to laptop or iPad and thence to a pair of Samsung SSDs daily so unless I started shooting video or switched to 20FPS routinely in reality the 150s seem fine.

Can only speak for me and how I shoot but I generally use a 325 and 256 GB Delkin Black cards. I have a few Delkin power as backups but generally don't need to use them. I've had really good luck with Delkin Black cards and they have a great warranty. Z9 shows 8000 for 325 card but obviously that will vary based on what you are shooting. Delkin will have a few sales here and there which is great. 325GB is the new 256 now. I've had zero issues with these cards but obviously that is just my experience.

With the Z9 and a 325GB formatted card I have storage for roughly 4800 images. That same card when shooting at 4K/60p can provide 21 minutes of recording time.

I was buying the Cobalt 225GB and then later the Delkin Black 512GB and more recently the Delkin Power 2TB memory cards. I test the Delkin Power with the Z9 at 20 fps and had no problems, nor when recording video at 4K/60p. The much less expensive Delkin Power CFexpress card has a write speed of up to 1540 MB/s which is more than adequate with the Z9 camera's output. The 2TBj provides for recording 8K/60p for 18 hours of video.

At $700 for 2TB the Delkin Power cards provide by far the most data storage for the buck without needing an Atomos recorder. There are also compatibility issues with the Z9 and the Atomos recorders at higher data rates and so I decided it was better to record video internally with the Z9. With the Canon R5 and R5 C cameras it is a very different story as they are quite compatible with the Atomos 8K recorders.

Large files and fast speeds! If you go on adventures then it is easy to hit overflow with the 650 GB Delkin black on a good shooting day. However, if you are a very selective shooter then smaller cards work. Follow the excellent advice of @Charles Loy and wait for the B&H specials on the 325 GB cards. Start shooting and then if you need larger cards you can buy them when prices drop (because we know they will drop as more cards and more technology advance).

With the Z9 and a 325GB formatted card I have storage for roughly 4800 images. That same card when shooting at 4K/60p can provide 21 minutes of recording time.

I was buying the Cobalt 225GB and then later the Delkin Black 512GB and more recently the Delkin Power 2TB memory cards. I test the Delkin Power with the Z9 at 20 fps and had no problems, nor when recording video at 4K/60p. The much less expensive Delkin Power CFexpress card has a write speed of up to 1540 MB/s which is more than adequate with the Z9 camera's output. The 2TBj provides for recording 8K/60p for 18 hours of video.

At $700 for 2TB the Delkin Power cards provide by far the most data storage for the buck without needing an Atomos recorder. There are also compatibility issues with the Z9 and the Atomos recorders at higher data rates and so I decided it was better to record video internally with the Z9. With the Canon R5 and R5 C cameras it is a very different story as they are quite compatible with the Atomos 8K recorders.
What little video I have done so far did not exceed 5 min, but it is an area I am interested in exploring.

I shoot in the HE* raw only, no jpeg and full 45.7mp files, cards set for overflow. My 325gb Cobalt card holds 8.5k images. My 128gb Velocity CINE card holds 3.2k images.

Not sure if you shoot lossless or HE* (though there is zero difference in IQ better the 2) but that should give an idea

I shoot in the HE* raw only, no jpeg and full 45.7mp files, cards set for overflow. My 325gb Cobalt card holds 8.5k images. My 128gb Velocity CINE card holds 3.2k images.

Not sure if you shoot lossless or HE* (though there is zero difference in IQ better the 2) but that should give an idea
I tend to shoot the purest largest file RAW setting the camera offers.

Perhaps what you need to ask yourself is how often you use higher fps bursts - that the Z9 can accomplish.

If not often you do you not need a much bigger than your present 64 GB.
If your aim is to regularly shoot at 20 or 30 FPS with the Z9 then you will need a bigger card.

I also use Delkin Black - with a modest qualifier.
The UK market is a much smaller market than USA and card choice is relatively limited.
Apart from Sony XQD which are fine for slower paced shooting scenarios I have no experience of other cards suitable for a Z9.

Perhaps what you need to ask yourself is how often you use higher fps bursts - that the Z9 can accomplish.

If not often you do you not need a much bigger than your present 64 GB.
If your aim is to regularly shoot at 20 or 30 FPS with the Z9 then you will need a bigger card.

I also use Delkin Black - with a modest qualifier.
The UK market is a much smaller market than USA and card choice is relatively limited.
Apart from Sony XQD which are fine for slower paced shooting scenarios I have no experience of other cards suitable for a Z9.
I want to do more bursts because currently with the D500 for BIF I tend to hold the button 2-3 seconds release require target and repeat, I have rarely hit the buffer only because I am afraid to hold the button too long And miss something. I miss a lot now. I would love the ability to capture more frames in that time to increase my keeper ratio.

I tend to shoot the purest largest file RAW setting the camera offers.
I shoot in HE* because I don’t believe there is any difference when compared to lossless compressed for my needs and I like the extended burst times, faster buffer clear, and the smaller file sizes.

The only time I have maxed my D500 is when it reached the 200 images burst limit.

Back