Best size for CFExpress & Z9

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I shoot in HE* because I don’t believe there is any difference when compared to lossless compressed for my needs and I like the extended burst times, faster buffer clear, and the smaller file sizes.

The only time I have maxed my D500 is when it reached the 200 images burst limit.
I will try longer burst then, though even the 2-3 second burst I do now I keep losing the Birds in flight to the edges of my view, I am trying to practice imaging fast tree swallows at the lake now in the hopes I improve my BIF skills. I figure if I can keep those swift fliers in my view and get some sharp(ish) images I can image anything….
IMG_3371.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
IMG_3370.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Last edited:
I am considering getting a Nikon Z9, Currently I use a D500 with a 64GB SD card, I so far take anywhere from 70- 900 images and shoot in the largest RAW file setting no JPG so far.

I am trying to figure out the best sized CFExpress card I would need for a Z9 considering how many images it captures per second over the D500. Any suggestions on best size, brand, and speed?
I use Cobalt Pro Grade 2 x 325 G, i use these two cards in all cameras D850 D6 Z9, no issues, plenty of capacity, also if there is moment where i want to take some video i have capacity.

Also if i want to shoot the Z9 at 20 fps in raw which is rare for me the card performs perfectly.

If i am doing landscapes long exposure then a smaller lower performance card is OK like a 128 g or even 64 G.

I mean just because i use Cobalt doesn't mean others should.

I do shoot mostly JPEG fine 98% of the time so i can set and forget with two cards at the size i have...........

It has more to do with what you shoot, but if you want to use the Z9 at 20fps RAW then the Cobalt Pro Grade or direct equivalent is critical.

Only an opinion

Is bigger better? Personally, no. I use 128GB CF Express B cards in my D850, D500 and Z9. Lossless compressed gives me about 1400 images per card. I get nervous when I've got too many images on a single card that may fail, so I'd rather bring an extra card than risk it.

File size varies depending on the subject and scene. For shots with lot of sky a great deal more compression can take place. For subjects and scenes with a lot of detail there will be less compression. I shoot 100 frames and then look at the average file size. I use past trips to guestimate how many shots per day I will probably take although with the Z9 and shooting bursts of shots my daily memory storage needs could easily double.

I prefer to take enough data storage so that I can go the entire trip without needing to move data off the memory cards and reuse them. I like to spend my nights reviewing my images and preparing for the next day of shooting. I also do not want to spend my nights sitting staring at my computer and not get out and about in an area.

File size varies depending on the subject and scene. For shots with lot of sky a great deal more compression can take place. For subjects and scenes with a lot of detail there will be less compression. I shoot 100 frames and then look at the average file size. I use past trips to guestimate how many shots per day I will probably take although with the Z9 and shooting bursts of shots my daily memory storage needs could easily double.

I prefer to take enough data storage so that I can go the entire trip without needing to move data off the memory cards and reuse them. I like to spend my nights reviewing my images and preparing for the next day of shooting. I also do not want to spend my nights sitting staring at my computer and not get out and about in an area.
The compression is the same. The difference is more or less data in the image that makes the file size larger or smaller

On my Z9, I shoot in RAW. Always in AF-C, split between C low and C High . Some bursts are at 20 fps. In slot one I have a 256 CFExpress type B card and in slot 2 I have a 128 CFExpress Type B card. I often shoot 1000 or more images in a shooting. Most of the time all images are on the 256 card. I have XQD cards to use if needed. CF Express card brands are SanDisk and Sony Tough. I based my purchase decisions on Read and Write speeds and pricing at the time of purchase.

I am considering getting a Nikon Z9, Currently I use a D500 with a 64GB SD card, I so far take anywhere from 70- 900 images and shoot in the largest RAW file setting no JPG so far.

I am trying to figure out the best sized CFExpress card I would need for a Z9 considering how many images it captures per second over the D500. Any suggestions on best size, brand, and speed?
Frankly this question really depends on your type of shooting, plans to go on photo trips, etc. You mention shooting a 5 min video? If done at the highest level, that would be a huge file! And you talk about missing shots so maybe you will be using pre-capture and 100 fps? And if Nikon extends these to RAW?
My philosophy (which I know contradicts some others), is to get the biggest cards you can afford. I have 3 CFexpress cards, a 512 and 650 Delkin black which I put in slot 1 and most recently got a 2TB Delkin power card (it was on sale) which I put in slot 2 for video. One never knows how long the action will last so since I do occasionally shoot video, want to be able to keep shooting. I haven't come close to filling these but have two upcoming trips where I think I may very well fill all 3! I will be bringing a 5 TB hard drive to back things up. I don't relish sorting through that much but rather not have to worry about running out of memory.

Last edited:
The Sabrent 512GB, 1TB & 2TB Rocket CFX CFexpress Type B Memory Card were recently launched. If these are as high performing and reliable as other Sabrent products then they could sweep the board for video shooters. B&H have them on their web site at a very attractive price.

I just received the 2TB card and it "gives me" shooting in N-RAW 12-bit HQ -- 8.3k 60p 46min 45sec OR 4.1k 120p 1h 15min recording time. So far the card seems good and equal to my other cards.

Last edited:
Delkin Blacks in both slots. Same size cards. Both set for overflow. In my Z9 with big glass for wildlife I use 512 cards because I always shoot 20 FPS. In my second Z9 I use 256 cards. I have yet to experience any problems with the Delkin Blacks.

I want to do more bursts because currently with the D500 for BIF I tend to hold the button 2-3 seconds release require target and repeat, I have rarely hit the buffer only because I am afraid to hold the button too long And miss something. I miss a lot now. I would love the ability to capture more frames in that time to increase my keeper ratio.
Remember the D500 has an unlimited buffer if using an XQD or CFexpress card. It is only limited by the software 200 shot limitation but not by the card. If you lift just for a split second to reset the 200 shot countdown, you can then continue bursting for another 200 frames without any slowdown. On D500 that is 20s of shooting which I don't think any type of bird action really requires.

I find for myself that regardless of what FPS I am shooting, it is the action in front of me that determines how long I hold down the shutter button. So if a BIF passes by me in 5s, I shoot for 5s regardless of camera. On my D500 I'd end up with 50 shots, on a Z9 I'd end up with 100 shots and on my A1 I end up with close to 150 shots. So if you intend to shoot the Z9 at 20FPS then you'd probably want 2x the storage of what you have now. Especially if you intend to shoot mostly in FX mode and Lossless Compressed. I do a mix of FX and DX shooting on my high MP FF MILCs and I use the HE* as it is no different than Lossless compressed to my eye and saves a lot of card space and gives longer bursts till you hit the buffer.

Remember the D500 has an unlimited buffer if using an XQD or CFexpress card. It is only limited by the software 200 shot limitation but not by the card. If you lift just for a split second to reset the 200 shot countdown, you can then continue bursting for another 200 frames without any slowdown. On D500 that is 20s of shooting which I don't think any type of bird action really requires.

I find for myself that regardless of what FPS I am shooting, it is the action in front of me that determines how long I hold down the shutter button. So if a BIF passes by me in 5s, I shoot for 5s regardless of camera. On my D500 I'd end up with 50 shots, on a Z9 I'd end up with 100 shots and on my A1 I end up with close to 150 shots. So if you intend to shoot the Z9 at 20FPS then you'd probably want 2x the storage of what you have now. Especially if you intend to shoot mostly in FX mode and Lossless Compressed. I do a mix of FX and DX shooting on my high MP FF MILCs and I use the HE* as it is no different than Lossless compressed to my eye and saves a lot of card space and gives longer bursts till you hit the buffer.
I was not aware of this. I have only used the SD card my local camera store told me to use.

When buffer depth is the most important consideration, I use Delkin Black and/or Prograde Cobalt 325 cards in both slots with slot 2 as overflow. On longer trips, I don't always carry a laptop. For back-up I use A Delkin Power 1 TB or 2 TB card in slot 2 as back-up and the Delkin Black 325, Prograde Cobalt 325 or Delkin Power 512 in Slot 1, changing out slot 1 as necessary. Two copies of each image has been sufficient backup for me. This does not give me as deep a buffer but it has been more than adequate for my shooting. I guess it depends on what you are shooting and how long you will be away from a computer to download your cards. I have no experience with Angelbird cards. I do have several older Sony G XQD cards that I use for landscape work and they still work consistently for me.

Back