Beware of loose lens foot connections

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

wotan1

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Yesterday I was carrying a Z9 with 400mm f4.5 on a Holdfast strap. All of a sudden the lens foot detached from the lens resulting in a fall. At the time I was standing on soft grass and there was no damage. This was a Kirk foot which secures with a knob. Apparently the knob worked loose and the foot came off the mount.

Be advised to check to make sure the knob is tiight and use a safety strap.

I always try to remember to check the knob on my RRS lens foot that I use with the Z 400 f4.5, 100-400, 70-200 and 600 pf. I should use a safety strap, but generally have not.

I think this issue can come up with lens feet that are not designed to be easily removed. I was in Botswana recently and used the Z 400 f.28 TC. The trip leader recommended checking the screws on the lens foot every couple of days, given we were bouncing around on rough roads much of the time.

I did not have any issues with the foot on my 400 f2.8 TC. I had replaced the Nikon foot with an RRS foot before the trip and used purple loctite on the screws (after discussing with Nikon support -- they would not comment on third party feet for Nikon lenses, but did say that blue loctite or similar (not red) was suitable for the screws on the 400 f2.8 TC foot).

Last edited:
This is exactly why I replaced the foot of the 300mm GM. I'm using a Wimberley replacement foot; I'll feel any looseness well before the mounting screw comes out. My Kirk foot for the 100-400 or 300 GM (tightens with a knob) is available to anyone who wants it, if I haven't already disposed of it.

I received my 70-200 2.8 Z lens, and soon noticed it has a very slight wiggle to lens foot. I checked, it was tight - but still realized the slight wiggle. I finally slid the foot off and checked the screws that hold the slid-on lens foot. All 4 screws were a quarter turn from tight!! I used jewelers small phillips screwdriver and turned them tight. A year in now, all is fine.

I’ve heard of this before. Steve even mentions a similar mishap in one of his videos. I’m paranoid about this so I always check the tightness of the foot when I use it as a carry handle.

Yesterday I was carrying a Z9 with 400mm f4.5 on a Holdfast strap. All of a sudden the lens foot detached from the lens resulting in a fall. At the time I was standing on soft grass and there was no damage. This was a Kirk foot which secures with a knob. Apparently the knob worked loose and the foot came off the mount.

Be advised to check to make sure the knob is tiight and use a safety strap.
Sorry this happened to you. When I first heard about the potential of this happening on my 500mm PF lens, I ordered the Hejnar foot that screws into the lens and doesn't have this knob (which I find annoying to have anyway). I have been amazed that Nikon has stuck to having this knob for people who want to rapidly take off the lens foot in the field. I have yet to meet anyone who does this, so not sure why Nikon introduced it and keeps on having it with new lenses. Since I always replace the foot for a foot with the Arca Swiss groove, I use one that replaces the knob type with the screw into the lens type. Wouldn't want to risk forgetting to check that the knob is tight since I am quite forgetful!

I am considering replacing the foot. I see WImberley makes a replacement foot that is not quick release. However I used QD connectors sometimes and I do not see the Wimberley ahas a qd slot. I am going to take a look at Hejnar.

Thanks everyone for your feedback and I hope my warning will save others from potential tragedy.

This sort of incident is another reason why I don't like to use side mount gimbal heads. If that happened on a side mount goodbye lens and camera.

Thanks everyone for your feedback and I hope my warning will save others from potential tragedy.

This sort of incident is another reason why I don't like to use side mount gimbal heads. If that happened on a side mount goodbye lens and camera.
Thanks for the reminder. 👍🏽

I found that Hejnar's foot is both "permanently" mounted and also includes a QD connector port. I ordered one today and will replace the Kirk foot so this does not happen again.
You won’t be unhappy with the Hejnar foot. Attaches with an Allen head bolt. I use them on my 500PF, 600PF, 400 4.5, and 100-400. I had noticed a looseness on the 500PF and found the bolt had loosened up about a quarter turn. It was easily discovered and hasn’t occurred since. The location of the QD hole is also optimum for balance. I love mine.

Back