Binocular Questions

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I am currently looking to get a pair of compact binoculars to carry with me while photographing wildlife but I'm struggling between 2 choices. I've been very happy with the quality and warranty of my Vortex glass in the past so I plan to stick with them. I'm currently looking at the Diamondback HD 8x28 and 8x32 models and I don't know which would be the better choice for wildlife photography. I wear glasses and I like the idea of the 8x28s because they have better eye relief(18mm vs 16 for the 8x32), are more compact, lighter, and they're about $50 cheaper. If I'm out shooting wildlife, do y'all feel that a 28mm objective is good enough for any kind of lighting conditions I'd likely be able to photograph in anyway, or do you think I'll wish I had the additional light transmission of the 32mm? I would hate to pay more for something larger, heavier, and with less eye relief for just a bit more light and FOV unless I had to. As much as I'd love to try them both out to see which fits me best that's not really an option without ordering both and sending one pair back which I don't want to do.

Rick, I can’t specifically address your Vortex choice but like exotic camera glass one does get what they p(l)ay for. Often the glass quality and lens coatings affect light transmission percentages and twilight factor as much or more than sheer objective lens diameters. Yeah, that statement may border on being a “glittering generality” as I’m not an optical engineer or expert. However, for comparison I have owned Swarovski SLC 8x30 binos for 30 years and my brother has Zeiss 10x40. In fact, I had both side by each at our cabin observing bucks/antlers this year right up to dark and I much preferred the 8x30’s during the critical twilight hours even though the exit pupil number is less. They just seemEd brighter and more comfortable to view through. Yet any experience is highly subjective as each person processes visual data differently.

All that to say, it’s hard to say how much difference you may perceive between the 28 vs 32 objectives of the Vortex binoculars. There really is no shortcut to putting the glass you are interested in to the test at critical light hours. Just my 2 cents worth depreciated to 1 cent.

There are several websites dedicated to binoculars, which reflects on the huge popularity of birding. Once one has selected one or more models, makes it's still best to try and test them out in a shop, or at a birding fair.
Here's A couple of links to sites I found useful. I don't have experience with Vortex, but happy with the build and quality of Nikon monarch range. Friends use Leica and Swarovski but it's hard to justify the higher cost when i compared them

Timely thread and topic, I was literally at Vortex today to look at binos, and walked out with the Diamondback 8x32s. Coincidentally, I’m watching Rick and Morty as I type this reply.

I’d say that the 28 and 32 are close enough together as to not be too noticeable difference in practical use. Comparing all the models side-by-side in the Vortex showroom, there was a bigger difference in the magnification, and 10 is a little tight when trying to find something quickly, at least until you get up into the higher angles of view. 8 looked comfortable to use.

The 8x32s are super nice, just the right size and weight as to not be too obnoxious to carry and use in the field.

Timely thread and topic, I was literally at Vortex today to look at binos, and walked out with the Diamondback 8x32s. Coincidentally, I’m watching Rick and Morty as I type this reply.

I’d say that the 28 and 32 are close enough together as to not be too noticeable difference in practical use. Comparing all the models side-by-side in the Vortex showroom, there was a bigger difference in the magnification, and 10 is a little tight when trying to find something quickly, at least until you get up into the higher angles of view. 8 looked comfortable to use.

The 8x32s are super nice, just the right size and weight as to not be too obnoxious to carry and use in the field.

Thanks! Don't suppose you wear glasses? The eye relief for the 8x32s are right on the edge of the minimum eye relief that many would recommend for eyeglass wearers at 16mm. I suppose I could always return them if they were unusable for me.

Rick: I do not wear glasses, at least not yet, so can’t help on that front.

Using the new binos today to look for a Snowy Owl, and they’re perfect for a spotting solution. Much easier field of view to use than my previous Fuji 10x25s (which I seemed to have lost a couple weeks back, prompting this new purchase). Compared to my pair of Celestron 8x42, the FOV is a tiny bit nicer on the 8x42, but not what I’d call a massive difference. The 8x42 are also a good bit larger, and I won’t carry them into the field.

These Vortex Diamondback 8x32 are super clear and bright, much more so than either my former Fuji or Celestron. That comes at a slight cost of chromatic aberrations at the edges though, especially as I’m scoping snowy landscapes in harsh light. In the center though, picture is really beautiful, well worth the price paid. (Note that I’m sticking in the ~$200 budget, so obviously there’s much better the more you spend 😂)
51AE1D78-08EB-48D5-AEE8-BBD631CAA4E0.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Last edited:
Rick: I do not wear glasses, at least not yet, so can’t help on that front.

Using the new binos today to look for a Snowy Owl, and they’re perfect for a spotting solution. Much easier field of view to use than my previous Fuji 10x25s (which I seemed to have lost a couple weeks back, prompting this new purchase). Compared to my pair of Celestron 8x42, the FOV is a tiny bit nicer on the 8x42, but not what I’d call a massive difference. The 8x42 are also a good bit larger, and I won’t carry them into the field.

These Vortex Diamondback 8x32 are super clear and bright, much more so than either my former Fuji or Celestron. That comes at a slight cost of chromatic aberrations at the edges though, especially as I’m scoping snowy landscapes in harsh light. In the center though, picture is really beautiful, well worth the price paid. (Note that I’m sticking in the ~$200 budget, so obviously there’s much better the more you spend 😂)
Thank you very much, I'm not too concerned with perfect image quality since they are more of a means to an end rather than one of the main focuses of the hobby for me like they might be for a bird watcher. I guess I'll give the 8x32s a shot and see how it goes.

Thank you very much, I'm not too concerned with perfect image quality since they are more of a means to an end rather than one of the main focuses of the hobby for me like they might be for a bird watcher. I guess I'll give the 8x32s a shot and see how it goes.
That’s exactly where I’m at, don’t need multi-thousand $$$ pair and am fine with decent IQ for as rarely as I use them. Just need them to spot bird activity so I can just get closer w/ my camera.

Vortex customer service is pretty good, give them a call for better answer to your eyeglass question.

That’s exactly where I’m at, don’t need multi-thousand $$$ pair and am fine with decent IQ for as rarely as I use them. Just need them to spot bird activity so I can just get closer w/ my camera.

Vortex customer service is pretty good, give them a call for better answer to your eyeglass question.
Their view is that 15mm is sufficient for 90% of eyeglass users but I still wanted to make this thread to see what other people's experiences were.

Hi again Rick. I do wear glasses (64 yo) but did not when I bought my Swarovski’s (other than with sunglasses). The eye relief of my SLC’s is 15mm and I have had no issue in obtaining a full field of view, then or now. The Vortex Diamondbacks have adjustable eye pieces as do my Swarovski’s, so I don’t think you will find issue with either pair you are considering. Both have longer (I.e. better) eye relief than my binoculars for eyeglass wearers.

Hi again Rick. I do wear glasses (64 yo) but did not when I bought my Swarovski’s (other than with sunglasses). The eye relief of my SLC’s is 15mm and I have had no issue in obtaining a full field of view, then or now. The Vortex Diamondbacks have adjustable eye pieces as do my Swarovski’s, so I don’t think you will find issue with either pair you are considering. Both have longer (I.e. better) eye relief than my binoculars for eyeglass wearers.
Thanks a bunch!

Thanks a bunch!
One more comment if I may. Like many on this forum opine regarding cameras and lenses; marry the glass! I don’t know how old you are but I bought way over budget premium binoculars with hopes that they would be a wise lifelong investment. And that they have, serving me over and above my expectations for 30 years. I would do it again in a heartbeat. Buy once, cry once, but every time I pick up my Swarovski’s I smile. Thus they go everywhere with me.

One more comment if I may. Like many on this forum opine regarding cameras and lenses; marry the glass! I don’t know how old you are but I bought way over budget premium binoculars with hopes that they would be a wise lifelong investment. And that they have, serving me over and above my expectations for 30 years. I would do it again in a heartbeat. Buy once, cry once, but every time I pick up my Swarovski’s I smile. Thus they go everywhere with me.
I agree, I generally try to buy the best I can afford within reason for most things, in this case that's around $200 at the moment haha.

I have gone with 10x binos as they provide better visibility in low light conditions (per Nikon's specs for their binos for light transmission). The best value are the Nikon Monarch 7 binos and I own the 8x30 ones. But the ones I use the most are Swarvoski 10x25 CL Pocket Companion binos. These binos are small enough that their carry case fits in the water bottle pocket of my backpacks or any jacket pocket and they weigh only 12 ounces. The much less expensive Nikon Monarch 7 binos I leave in my car so as to always have a pair available and if they were stolen the loss would be less of a concern.

I have 12 binos and actually need to get rid of a few of them. My plan is to take a couple with my on my next trip to Costa Rica or Brazil and gift them to wildlife researchers. The duty on goods sent to Brazil is still extremely high and so bringing them in as personal items and leaving them behind is the only viable option.

I am currently looking to get a pair of compact binoculars to carry with me while photographing wildlife but I'm struggling between 2 choices. I've been very happy with the quality and warranty of my Vortex glass in the past so I plan to stick with them. I'm currently looking at the Diamondback HD 8x28 and 8x32 models and I don't know which would be the better choice for wildlife photography. I wear glasses and I like the idea of the 8x28s because they have better eye relief(18mm vs 16 for the 8x32), are more compact, lighter, and they're about $50 cheaper. If I'm out shooting wildlife, do y'all feel that a 28mm objective is good enough for any kind of lighting conditions I'd likely be able to photograph in anyway, or do you think I'll wish I had the additional light transmission of the 32mm? I would hate to pay more for something larger, heavier, and with less eye relief for just a bit more light and FOV unless I had to. As much as I'd love to try them both out to see which fits me best that's not really an option without ordering both and sending one pair back which I don't want to do.
Hi Rick,
When it comes to choosing between the Vortex Diamondback HD 8x28 and 8x32 models for wildlife photography, there are a few factors to consider. Both options come from a brand you trust, which is a great starting point.

The 8x28 model has some advantages that you mentioned, such as better eye relief, compactness, lightness, and being more affordable. These factors can contribute to a comfortable and convenient experience, especially if you wear glasses. The 28mm objective lens should generally provide sufficient light transmission for most lighting conditions encountered during wildlife photography.

However, the 8x32 model offers slightly better light transmission and potentially a wider field of view (FOV) due to its larger objective lens. This can be beneficial in situations where lighting conditions are challenging or when you want to capture a wider perspective. The trade-off is the slightly heavier weight and marginally less eye relief.

Considering your preferences and the intended use for wildlife photography, the 8x28 model seems to align well with your requirements. It offers good eye relief, is compact, lightweight, and more cost-effective. Unless you anticipate regularly shooting in low-light situations where the extra light transmission of the 8x32 model would be crucial, the 8x28 option should serve you well.

While it would be ideal to try out both models to determine the best fit for your specific needs, I understand the limitation of not wanting to order both and go through the hassle of returning one. Based on the information you provided, I believe the Vortex Diamondback HD 8x28 would be a suitable choice for your wildlife photography adventures.

Remember, the best binoculars for hunting can vary depending on individual preferences, so it's always beneficial to try out different models when possible. Wishing you great success in capturing stunning wildlife photographs with your new binoculars!

I recently bought a pair of Nikon Travelite EX 10x25. Build quality is very good as are the optics. Only problem is I have difficulty holding them steady. If I was serious about things I would get image stabilized.

Back