Bird shooting on skis

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Roaring 40s

Supporting Member
Marketplace
In the southern hemisphere we've gone into spring. Patches of grass are emerging from the snow and the snow bridges over creeks are collapsing providing ready water for the birds.

Our first alpine visitor is the spectacular Flame Robin - our mountain robin. One of its foraging techniques is to hunt for flying bugs that the wind has blown up onto the snow where they've died.

Our alpine gum, the Snow Gum, has a myriad of nuts for our parrots to feed on.

Getting around on skis is limiting. The gliding noise is loud enough to block out bird calls and to scare off some birds, and stopping to shoot takes enough time for some birds to fly off.
I'm carrying the rig with a Cotton Carrier Skout that leaves my hands free and I'm using pattern-base skis to allow walking upwards.
High contrast ranges make AE a little tricky.

Flame Robin male. Like other robins it's curious and if you stop and wait it may come closer to check you out.

Flame Robin m (9) 1360.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Brown Thornbill. A tiny bird that forages in large shrubs and small trees.

Brown Thornbill q (2) 1360.jpg

Crimson Rosella feeding on gum nuts. The snow has worked like a big studio reflector here.

Crimson Rosella feeding (2) 1360.jpg

Very nice series of beautiful birds! Growing up in the Midwest, the American Robin was a spring harbinger for us. Looks like your mountain robin fills that role as well. Walking up birds on skis is a challenge I hadn't considered.

Tried again, intending to reduce the time from sighting to shooting.

Took fliptop gloves that allow me to expose the thumb and fingers. They helped a bit. It was a few degrees below freezing and after a few minutes feeling started to go in the middle finger which I use on a front custom button.

I looped the poles around my wrists so they could just be dropped.

The VF kept fogging up. Some spit helped if not with clarity.

But the snow had frozen overnight and was slippery. The best thing was to ski to a likely spot and then go on foot.

During the morning when I was skiing for skiing's sake, I saw a few male Flame Robins out in the open on the snow. Some were using the snow fences for their perch and pounce routine. That's what I'd like to capture.

Flame Robin, male

Flame Robin m a (3) 1360.jpg

White-browed Scrubwren

White-browed Scrubwren (2) 1360.jpg

Flame Robin, female
Flame Robin f 1360.jpg

Back