Birds Beware --- Dangerous Spurge Hawkmoth caterpillar !

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Gottshotz

Supporting Member
Marketplace
SEPT 09 336-edit-edit-Edit-Edit-2.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

This Spurge Hawkmoth caterpillar doesn't bother with camo and munches away in plain sight --- the red and black colouring is a dead giveway, and declares "I am poisonous to eat ".
Black and red, and black and yellow colours, usually in a hooped pattern have frequently evolved in the insect world to warn predators that they distasteful, or carry toxins, which can debilitate the aggressor --- young birds often learn the hard way !! In this case the poison comes from the caterpillar's foodplant, various species of Euphorbia (Spurge) which has a milky, sticky sap which can give humans very nasty infections if it gets near the eyes ! The adult moth, below, doesn't inherit these toxins, so it has probably evolved as a mechanism to get as many caterpillars as possible through this normally vulnerable stage, to adulthood. D60 with 18-55mm. @50mm. ISO 180, f5.6, 1/125 Sec.. Handheld.

Andaluz-30-edit-edit-Edit.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

This shot taken with D7000 and 18-55mm. @ 55mm. ISO 800, f6.3, 1/640 Sec. Handheld.
Both the caterpillar and the moth are Spanish, in this case from my property near Valencia, but it is a widespread species in the Northern Hemisphere and is relatively common in the UK too.

Super shots David, how refreshing to see them both as well!
Thanks again Mike, I really must try the stacking technique as it is so difficult to get insects into full focus of all their "bits" even when resting, like the Hawkmoth here .

Back