Bison at Yellowstone

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

This morning I visited Yellowstone NP for the first time.
I did a short hike on one of the trails in Lamar Valley and I looked up on the hill next to me and this big fellow showed.
I took a few quick pictures and then put some distance between us.

090823YellowstoneNPWildlife04Small.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Nice shot! They say there are about 6000 bison there. Every year several people get gored, usually doing something unwise. Often a lot in Hayden Valley as well as Lamar. In Hayden they often cross the river and the road causing a traffic jam. In GTNP they can be seen in the Mormons row area if you are going there next.

Such a powerful animal, nice job!
Thank you
Rick, Beautiful shot! I love it👍👍👍 Well done. That’s one for the wall.
Thank you
Nice shot! They say there are about 6000 bison there. Every year several people get gored, usually doing something unwise. Often a lot in Hayden Valley as well as Lamar. In Hayden they often cross the river and the road causing a traffic jam. In GTNP they can be seen in the Mormons row area if you are going there next.
Thank you.
I saw three large herds and that 6,000 number realistic.
You're right about people doing unwise things.
I saw a video from Yellowstone yesterday of a female bear and her two cubs crossing the road a people running down the road chasing after them.
Thanks for the tip about GTNP.

Thank you

Thank you

Thank you.
I saw three large herds and that 6,000 number realistic.
You're right about people doing unwise things.
I saw a video from Yellowstone yesterday of a female bear and her two cubs crossing the road a people running down the road chasing after them.
Thanks for the tip about GTNP.

Plus Every photographer has to shoot the Moulton barn at least once in their life.

Plus Every photographer has to shoot the Moulton barn at least once in their life.

It's nice in the early hours when the low sun illuminates the mountains and the barn. Mountains are to the west of the barn. Sometimes a lot of people are in the shot. Sometimes helps to take identical shots as the people move around so you can mask them away in Photoshop layers.

Last edited:
That's an interesting POV. Nice job.
Thank you.
I was very lucky to have him show up on that hill as I walked by.
It's nice in the early hours when the low sun illuminates the mountains and the barn. Mountains are to the west of the barn. Sometimes a lot of people are in the shot. Sometimes helps to take identical shots as the people move around so you can mask them away in Photoshop layers.
Yes, my plan is to be there at sunrise.
I hope to get there early enough to get a good composition and not have others in the scene.
There's a perspective I've not seen before with Bison! Nice shot!
Thank you.

Back