If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Back story: This young snake bit himself and killed himself! Notice his mouth. Found him on the boardwalk in the bog, dead, just like this - so I popped him in my backpack and took him home to photograph under better lighting. After doing some research I found out that this happens all the time. The get over excited when they see movement - even their own - and strike - often biting themselves! Who knew?? Nature is fascinating. I had a difficult time with composition - I couldn't get his eye into a rule of thirds intersection and still include all the parts I wanted, so I settled for his nose. Comments welcome.
SC5716biteme.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

D500, Nikkor 85mm macro

I never said he was venomous lol - I said he was NOT a massasauga that are in the area which ARE venomous. He looks like a typical Ohio garter snake to me but does it really matter?

Marking does not appear to be that of a garter, and garters aren't venomous. Cool shot, though.
I never said he was venomous lol - I said he was NOT a massasauga that are in the area which ARE venomous. He looks like a typical Ohio garter snake to me but does it really matter? Oh by the way he was just a baby only about 6 in long and they don't have the stripe yet.

Last edited:
Meets my definition of a dood snake...the only good one is a dead one. A summer in the 70s cruising timber in southeast AL and the MS swamps taught me that. After that summer...I arranged a one on one meeting with the emperor of the snakes and we came to an agreement...I don’t see them and they get to live.

I'm assuming the two short fangs that he does have were long enough to puncture an organ or something. 😄 Anyway I guess it's quite common among baby snakes of all kinds. They are overly excitable!

Back story: This young snake bit himself and killed himself! Notice his mouth. Found him on the boardwalk in the bog, dead, just like this - so I popped him in my backpack and took him home to photograph under better lighting. After doing some research I found out that this happens all the time. The get over excited when they see movement - even their own - and strike - often biting themselves! Who knew?? Nature is fascinating. I had a difficult time with composition - I couldn't get his eye into a rule of thirds intersection and still include all the parts I wanted, so I settled for his nose. Comments welcome.View attachment 13764
D500, Nikkor 85mm macro
Gail this shot looks good to me, the rule of thirds is meant to be broken.
A unique image and a great incite thanks for sharing

Amazing shot, Gail, and who knew!

I'm with Silver Eagle re the crop, it give it more impact IMHO.
Thank you! I'm not a fan of wacky crop measurements I like to kind of stick to specific aspect ratios. But maybe I'll get over that someday lol Thanks for taking the time to comment.

Thank you. I learned a lot and it gave me an interested read while calling to try and get a vaccine appointment (more hopeless than looking for a perfect BIF picture)

Thank you. I learned a lot and it gave me an interested read while calling to try and get a vaccine appointment (more hopeless than looking for a perfect BIF picture)
Good luck on your Vac. appt. That's not even on our radar yet!
LOL. I hear you on those perfect BIF shots, makes me just want to give this photography thing up and take up basket weaving... :unsure: ... :eek::D

I never said he was venomous lol - I said he was NOT a massasauga that are in the area which ARE venomous. He looks like a typical Ohio garter snake to me but does it really matter? Oh by the way he was just a baby only about 6 in long and they don't have the stripe yet.
Snakes can and do kill themselves from the physical injury incurred from self bites. Venomous snakes are not only immune to their own venom but many are immune to the venom of other species of snakes -- so can't poison themselves to death with a bite.