Bobcat hunting

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I love bobcats. Today got to spend some time with one that was hunting. Unfortunately it was an unsuccessful hunt but the bobcat did at one point come straight towards me. Since I was using my 400mm plus the 1.4TC, I couldn't zoom out as the bobcat filled up the frame. Used my Z8 without a tripod. A reduced version on Flickr:

and a longer version on Youtube:

I love bobcats. Today got to spend some time with one that was hunting. Unfortunately it was an unsuccessful hunt but the bobcat did at one point come straight towards me. Since I was using my 400mm plus the 1.4TC, I couldn't zoom out as the bobcat filled up the frame. Used my Z8 without a tripod. A reduced version on Flickr:

and a longer version on Youtube:

Very nice!

great pics, i have bobcats living 50 yards from my house. getting great trail cam pictures of male /female and kitten.would love advise on how to set up for actual pictures from my d500.

Very nice indeed, Ricardo! I love the sharpness of the details and richness of the colours! Good job hand holding.
Cheers,
Rudy

great pics, i have bobcats living 50 yards from my house. getting great trail cam pictures of male /female and kitten.would love advise on how to set up for actual pictures from my d500.
Thanks! You are so lucky to have them near your house (this is about a 40 min drive from mine). Maybe you can take a course on doing camera traps? Or lie in wait? What time do they come by?

Thanks! You are so lucky to have them near your house (this is about a 40 min drive from mine). Maybe you can take a course on doing camera traps? Or lie in wait? What time do they come by?
yes these pictures are about 40 yards from my house.that rock pile is the remains from an old granite quarry,it draws in a lot of different wildlife.i have 3 trail camera's,that all work at subzero temps,at different points around the pile.in one camera in the last year i captured pics of male and female bobcats,bear,wolf,coyote,grey fox,and moose.we usually have a foot of snow by now and i was hoping to see where they are going in the pile and set up a blind.its a wooded area and i don't want to spook them,so I will wait till i have a good plan.they move both day and nite.in the last year and a half my son and i have over 100 pics of cats.(I'll have to count)

pic of the quarry from my driveway
452687B8-F043-4A23-91A1-D98590E1A63A_1_105_c.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

just got 8" of snow and subzero day time temps, after a record breaking hot December.
Guess you will have to put in a heater in that hide you are setting up! After reading about all the animals you have seen at your house, I was tempted to move there. But think I will stay in California, a beautiful 60 plus sunny winter day here.

ha, i lived in southern cal. for awhile. going to be - 20 this evening. a heater isn't going to cut it.just have to wait it out. would be willing to rent you my cabin down by the river, if it would bring a California boy out here.

ya i remember 60 degrees, and all the sweaters and wool hats, as we were running up and down the streets with our hockey sticks and a tennis ball in our shorts and tank tops.

this female waited till the latest date to mate.her kitten is young.she's not going any where. having said that i won't allow any disruption in their life.my invitation is real with ground rules.

Back