Bobcat with pocket gopher prey

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

cr_wildlife

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Point Reyes National Seashore is a magical place. Parts of the Seashore are relatively undisturbed. Unfortunately, at the time of the establishment of the park (1960's), farms were present within the boundaries of the Park. The farms were purchased and leased back to the farmers at that time. The original plan was for a 5 year lease. The farms are still there. Our National Park Service has been renewing the leases since then. The difference between the farmland and the wild lands is striking. Recently, the NPS has approved a plan to extend the leases another 25 years and to let the farmers increase the types of animals and crops that they are allowed on their farms, despite opposition to the plan from locals and the public. In addition, they plan to cull the Tule Elk herd, as they are competing with cows for grazing. Of course, the plan is now being fought over in the
F595ABF3-35D4-4274-909A-530CE888C7FE.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
courts. Unbelievable that we have private farmers on national park land getting preferencial treatment by the NPS over visitors and wildlife.
One of the amazing things about Point Reyes is that one has a good chance of seeing a bobcat there. The cats eat a lot of gophers, so watching gopher fields can be a good way to see a cat. I can only imagine what will happen to the bobcats once the farmers are allowed to keep chickens. Anyway, I have been fortunate to see a number of these felines there. This is my favorite image of one.

Can you describe where the (best) gopher fields are located in Pt. Reyes?
@cr_wildlife I would be interested in the best spots as well, as I posted in this recent thread: https://bcgforums.com/index.php?threads/point-reyes-where-are-the-best-wildlife-spots.23225/

I have been there twice and I also find the ranches obnoxious. I also am not crazy about our national forest service handing out cattle grazing leases nor how ranchers inhibit wolf reintroduction efforts, which is a main reason I gave up beef three decades ago.

This is a great shot and I believe currently Point Reyes is the best place in North America to see bobcats. It used to be the second best with the best being Sweetwater Wetlands in my city of Tucson. However a radio collaring study (that a group of us photographers tried unsuccessfully to fight) has eliminated that opportunity. The resident male (now collared over a year) has become terrified of people, one of the two resident females (very relaxed) disappeared at the time the male was collared, and the other resident female (even more relaxed and with a kitten) was collared much later and found dead within a month.

What a fantastic photo. I've just added Point Reyes to my list. It's about 6 hours from where I live and yet I have not been there. It's a shame the cows are preferred over elk. There's certainly plenty of other space in California for cows, but not for elk.

Point Reyes National Seashore is a magical place. Parts of the Seashore are relatively undisturbed. Unfortunately, at the time of the establishment of the park (1960's), farms were present within the boundaries of the Park. The farms were purchased and leased back to the farmers at that time. The original plan was for a 5 year lease. The farms are still there. Our National Park Service has been renewing the leases since then. The difference between the farmland and the wild lands is striking. Recently, the NPS has approved a plan to extend the leases another 25 years and to let the farmers increase the types of animals and crops that they are allowed on their farms, despite opposition to the plan from locals and the public. In addition, they plan to cull the Tule Elk herd, as they are competing with cows for grazing. Of course, the plan is now being fought over in theView attachment 59653 courts. Unbelievable that we have private farmers on national park land getting preferencial treatment by the NPS over visitors and wildlife.
One of the amazing things about Point Reyes is that one has a good chance of seeing a bobcat there. The cats eat a lot of gophers, so watching gopher fields can be a good way to see a cat. I can only imagine what will happen to the bobcats once the farmers are allowed to keep chickens. Anyway, I have been fortunate to see a number of these felines there. This is my favorite image of one.
Nice shot ! I have been out several times in the past year never spied a bobcat, see more in my backyard:). I have seen badger, mountain beaver, alot of coyotes especially down around Abbot's Lagoon, out to lighthouse and out towards Pierce Point Road. Question: do you know if it is allowed at all to cross onto the leased land at all? Have you located any Burrowing Owls spots this year?
Kurt

What a fantastic photo. I've just added Point Reyes to my list. It's about 6 hours from where I live and yet I have not been there. It's a shame the cows are preferred over elk. There's certainly plenty of other space in California for cows, but not for elk.t Point Reyes. Lots to see! And than

Nice shot ! I have been out several times in the past year never spied a bobcat, see more in my backyard:). I have seen badger, mountain beaver, alot of coyotes especially down around Abbot's Lagoon, out to lighthouse and out towards Pierce Point Road. Question: do you know if it is allowed at all to cross onto the leased land at all? Have you located any Burrowing Owls spots this year?
Kurt
You can enter the leased land, at least I do. And what is a mountain beaver?

Fantastic Shot. After 30+ years of fighting the "system" we finally were able to get the last 2 dams removed on the Kinnickinnic River. Big Strong, Be Persistent, and get more people involved and willing to complain, write letters and publish articles and you can win!!!

Fantastic Shot. After 30+ years of fighting the "system" we finally were able to get the last 2 dams removed on the Kinnickinnic River. Big Strong, Be Persistent, and get more people involved and willing to complain, write letters and publish articles and you can win!!!
Certainly trying. Writing letters, etc. Thanks.

Back