BOF not BIF

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

JAS

Supporting Member
Marketplace
While my Birds in Flight (BIF) photography skills are a bit (lot) limited, I seem to do much better with Bugs on Flowers (BOF), though one is of bees in flight.
The following shots are all from 2023 and were shot in either our own or our daughter's home gardens. I am looking forward to 2024.
BOF_01.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

BOF_02.jpg
BOF_03.jpg

BOF_04.jpg

BOF_05.jpg

BOF_06.jpg

BOF_07.jpg

Beautiful. Nice shots. The shot of the grasshopper in the flower made me turn to Google. Seems 'recent' research finds that grasshoppers "visit flowers" much more frequently than thought making them among the crowed of good pollinators; they are not equipped to feed on nectar, however -- which was my question after seeing your shot.

Reactions: JAS
While my Birds in Flight (BIF) photography skills are a bit (lot) limited, I seem to do much better with Bugs on Flowers (BOF), though one is of bees in flight.
The following shots are all from 2023 and were shot in either our own or our daughter's home gardens. I am looking forward to 2024.
View attachment 85859
View attachment 85860View attachment 85861
View attachment 85862
View attachment 85863
View attachment 85864
View attachment 85865
Beautiful set! Well done Joseph👍👍👍

Beautiful. Nice shots. The shot of the grasshopper in the flower made me turn to Google. Seems 'recent' research finds that grasshoppers "visit flowers" much more frequently than thought making them among the crowed of good pollinators; they are not equipped to feed on nectar, however -- which was my question after seeing your shot.
Great shots Joe. I particularly like the novelty and colour contrasts in the grasshopper shot. Thanks !
Great images
Thanks for the positive comments!
You have inspired me to try my Z100-400 + 1.4TC on insects. Really nice shots.
Absolutely worth the the effort to capture flowers and insects with this lens with and without the TC14Z.

Thanks! Which one is a SA flower? These shots weere all in my wife's or daughter's gardens.
Gazania, Joe. 2nd last one with bee.
Gazania is a genus of flowering plants in the family Asteraceae, native to Southern Africa.They produce large, daisy-like composite flowerheads in brilliant shades of yellow and orange, over a long period in summer. They are often planted as drought-tolerant groundcover. Wikipedia

Very nice collection. For another challenge try to identify them all :unsure:
I am a photographer and neither a botanist nor and entomologist. My wife would ID the flowers and someone here could probably do the insects. However, to me they are all just flowers or bugs.

Gazania, Joe. 2nd last one with bee.
Gazania is a genus of flowering plants in the family Asteraceae, native to Southern Africa.They produce large, daisy-like composite flowerheads in brilliant shades of yellow and orange, over a long period in summer. They are often planted as drought-tolerant groundcover. Wikipedia
Thanks. I will double check where I shot that photo and check with the wife.

Back