Brooks Falls Brown Bear: no do over

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

NorthernFocus

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I shot this image with a slow shutter a few years ago. I liked the way it turned out and wanted to go back and do some more with this technique. Unfortunately in 2017 the NPS implemented a policy banning the use of tripods or anything that attaches to the rail on the viewing platform.

Full frame camera w/500mm lens locked down on a tripod. Using a cable release I shot about 60 frames at between 1/8s and 1/25s. I watched the bear with my naked eye to determine when it looked still enough to avoid motion blur. My judgement was wrong on all but three frames. She was constantly moving her head ever so slightly back and forth scanning for fish. She sat in that spot for hours and I never did see her catch a fish there. So I call this image "Patience".

p1649562491-5.jpg

I shot this image with a slow shutter a few years ago. I liked the way it turned out and wanted to go back and do some more with this technique. Unfortunately in 2017 the NPS implemented a policy banning the use of tripods or anything that attaches to the rail on the viewing platform.

Full frame camera w/500mm lens locked down on a tripod. Using a cable release I shot about 60 frames at between 1/8s and 1/25s. I watched the bear with my naked eye to determine when it looked still enough to avoid motion blur. My judgement was wrong on all but three frames. She was constantly moving her head ever so slightly back and forth scanning for fish. She sat in that spot for hours and I never did see her catch a fish there. So I call this image "Patience".

p1649562491-5.jpg
Gorgeous Dan👍👍👍

p1649562491-5.jpg
Outstanding image Dan!

Wonderful idea and execution, Dan! You created a very unique and pleasing image!
Beautiful shot @NorthernFocus I really like that ,the different colour tones and textures from the fair is excellent well done 👏
Beezer Dan!
Gorgeous Dan👍👍👍
Patience and dedication pays off. Great shot.
Epic shot Dan.
Fantastic big bear photo!
Outstanding image Dan!
Thanks for all the kind comments, folks. Glad you enjoyed the image.

I was there in September of 2018 and there were no restrictions on the use of tripods on the platform. That said it was so crowded that a tripod was not great in that so many people would bump into it. The feds should move the platform further from the river and enlarge it for more people to watch.

I was there in September of 2018 and there were no restrictions on the use of tripods on the platform. That said it was so crowded that a tripod was not great in that so many people would bump into it. The feds should move the platform further from the river and enlarge it for more people to watch.
The restriction is in place from June 15 through August 15 which is peak season. When staying overnight there's the luxury of shooting mornings and evenings when the day trips aren't around. Most of the time when I was on the platform there were only a few people.

Great shot!
Thanks for commenting.
Excellent shot! Love the colors and the composition. I hope she eventually got a fish, poor girl.
Thanks. When some of the bigger bears took a break she moved to the bottom of the falls and got here share. The top of the falls makes for dramatic photos and are the classic shot that everyone sees from Brooks. But the dominant bears all fish the bottom of the falls where there are large numbers of fish "holding" to take a rest before attempting the falls. One of my best/favorite bear shots is of this same animal below the falls with a salmon in her mouth.

Last edited:
Great shot! This may be a use case for M43 and the famous Oly stabilization.. no tripod needed :)
Maybe for someone. Not me. Nikon claims four(?) stops of stabilization but my own experience with long lenses I get one stop. Which basically means with a high rez sensor I can count on shooting 1/FL with VR engaged. Maybe improve with the Z system but haven't tried that yet.

I now have a new favourite bear photo. Incredible shot; nice work!! Oh, and I first assumed "patience" was a nod to you, not the bear :)
Glad you enjoyed the image, Steven. No patience needed on my part. I could sit and watch them all day without ever taking a photo. Interesting creatures.

Back