Building a Photography Website

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Do a Google search.....

Search for: What are the sources of knowledge in AI?

Where does AI get its information from?

These datasets can come from various sources, such as online databases, public records, research institutions, and organizations that collect and curate data. The internet and web scraping: AI can extract information from websites by analyzing their content using techniques like web scraping. Jul 14, 2023

Thanks for the information about this. If my photo galleries are private (ie, unlisted and need a link to access), are they still available to AI for scraping? I use smugmug. I guess I'd better read my user agreement more closely, but perhaps someone knows already?

Thanks for the information about this. If my photo galleries are private (ie, unlisted and need a link to access), are they still available to AI for scraping? I use smugmug. I guess I'd better read my user agreement more closely, but perhaps someone knows already?
Given their size, ownership of Flickr, and the fact that they are private, I would guess that all their hosted photos are scraped.

Given their size, ownership of Flickr, and the fact that they are private, I would guess that all their hosted photos are scraped.
Thanks. The convenience for sharing is significant, but I may have to rethink that. I assume google drive folders would be the same. That's the other way I share.

I moved away from one host, where I still have my public portfolio of 20 images and website to Google Drive.

Right or wrong, i believe that all public images are scraped and there nothing anyone can do about it. I'm also of the belief that unless they publicly disavow it, all hosts have opened their clouds to models.

I switched to Google because of what they said, and I hope the abide by their promise. Good article here:

I must be missing something....

Assume you have 10 images of various pigeons. Some Ai developers want to write software that will be able to describe what a pigeon looks like. So they search the web and gather 1,000 images of pigeons, including your 10 images and use those images to analyze what a pigeon looks like.

Are you really "harmed" by that?

Now if you were selling your pigeon images for big money, I could understand your concern........maybe.............

I must be missing something....

Assume you have 10 images of various pigeons. Some Ai developers want to write software that will be able to describe what a pigeon looks like. So they search the web and gather 1,000 images of pigeons, including your 10 images and use those images to analyze what a pigeon looks like.

Are you really "harmed" by that?

Now if you were selling your pigeon images for big money, I could understand your concern........maybe.............
If they turn around and sell the image they created based in part on your photo, you should be compensated.

That's AI's business model. They ingest copyrighted material, create a derivative, and sell it without compensating the copyright owner.

I used Adobe Portfolio to build my website….and I’m very pleased with it for my purposes. However, I’m not doing any sort of e-commerce (which I don’t think is possible with Adobe Portfolio). Plus, it’s free for anyone who already has an Adobe CC subscription (or rather it’s included in your monthly fee).

It was very simple to do, and there are quite a few templates and customizable features. I wanted a simple and clean layout, and I feel like I accomplished that. Feel free to check it out:

I am a big fan of Adobe myportfolio.com as well. Doesn't cost anything above the Adobe subscription . However I am not trying to sell my photos and only share them with family and friends.

I use Wix. I built it myself which was fine but I don't have the attention span to do it properly. I then used one of Wix on line assistants and paid them to do a better job for me. Now it is set up, it is easy to manipulate.

I use Squarespace, which is the top dog for dedicated websites (as opposed to simplistic portfolio sites like Smugmug). Wix I have no experience with but I assume they are similar. If you want a complete website then those are the two best options I think. They have their act together in the sense that no matter what layout you choose it will look professional and will automatically format for the viewing device (phone or tablet or computer). I finally set up the sales option using Squarespace, which is a learning curve and more work, but I was able to do it. However, I have not sold anything (other than a test sale to myself) and am thinking of taking down that feature and going back to just showcasing images (and cancelling my city and state business license). I would heartily recommend Squarespace and if you want to see my site it is in my signature below.
Nice website Fred. 👍
you’ve also got some lovely images on it so really surprised you don’t sell more of them, keep the faith.

I think you can put some code into your site to stop AI bots as Steve has done here.

I think anyone can download anything on this site. He has disabled right click, but once the photo is displayed larger it can be downloaded.

I have used SmugMug for many years but I don't sell or try to market any of my photos. I use it so share my travel photos with family and friends and I do lot of sports photos for area teams and I create a team site for each team.

I'm not talking about downloading, I'm talking about AI learning from posted images.
1. There is no known tool to stop scraping posted images. If it's posted, it's scraped.
2. There are tools to "poison" images and make them unusable. Supposedly. See Glaze from University of Chicago.
3. So far, scraping and using copyrighted images is perfectly legal in the US.
4. Big Tech is on the side of AI, not consumers and not copyright holders. They might pay lip service to "protecting creators," but if you read the fine print and watch what they do, not what they say, it's BS.

1. There is no known tool to stop scraping posted images. If it's posted, it's scraped.
2. There are tools to "poison" images and make them unusable. Supposedly. See Glaze from University of Chicago.
3. So far, scraping and using copyrighted images is perfectly legal in the US.
4. Big Tech is on the side of AI, not consumers and not copyright holders. They might pay lip service to "protecting creators," but if you read the fine print and watch what they do, not what they say, it's BS.

I've seen this code:

User-agent: GPTBot
Disallow: /

I used Adobe Portfolio to build my website….and I’m very pleased with it for my purposes. However, I’m not doing any sort of e-commerce (which I don’t think is possible with Adobe Portfolio). Plus, it’s free for anyone who already has an Adobe CC subscription (or rather it’s included in your monthly fee).

It was very simple to do, and there are quite a few templates and customizable features. I wanted a simple and clean layout, and I feel like I accomplished that. Feel free to check it out:

Nice website Wade! I've also use Adobe Portfolio. I found it fairly easy to setup, but have issues when I want to update. I create collections in LR that I sync with portfolio, but it doesn't always work. So these days, I mostly just leave it alone. Funny, mine site is very similar to yours: https://tomegel.myportfolio.com/

--Tom

Back