Bull Elk - Estes Park

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

MalcolmP

Supporting Member
Marketplace
220302 EP ELK PAN R1 8951-52 57C 58 59 60 61 ON1200.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
220302 EP Elk DSC_9015 R1_NoNoise ON1200.jpg
220302 EP Elk DSC_8977_NoNoise copyON1200.jpg
220302 EP ELK PAN O 8985 CROP- ON1200.jpg

Attachments

• 220302 EP Elk DSC_8977_NoNoise copyON1200.jpg
    220302 EP Elk DSC_8977_NoNoise copyON1200.jpg
    823.5 KB · Views: 77
Thank you both. First day shooting with a Prime - my new 500PF 5.6.
The first is a 5 panel Panorama.
The second is when they spooked - Panorama not an option
Lucked upon this group of bad boys before they dropped their antlers which I believe they're about due.

Beautiful set of shots. Ested Park is always a fun area to shoot with the elk, the closeness of RMNP, the peak to peak drive, and the gorgeous mountains. I love my 500mm PF and hope you get the same enjoyment with yours. Though sometimes the elk in the Estes Park are a little to close for that lens unless your want to count elk eyelashes! ;)
Wife and I are very much looking forward to our visit to Longmont and our daughter in May!

Last edited:
Beautiful set of shots. Ested Park is always a fun area to shoot with the elk, the closeness of RMNP, the peak to peak drive, and the gorgeous mountains. I love my 500mm PF and hope you get the same enjoyment with your, though sometime, the elk in the Ester Park are a little to close for that lens unless your want to count elk eyelashes! ;)
Wife and I are very much looking forward to our visit to Longmont and our daughter in May!
Thanks, Joe. A 500 PF has been on my list based on your shots along with a number of others in this Forum. After one day, I'm excited about the results. Was shooting the 80-400 so I appreciate the reduced bulk & weight. Hope you'll touch base when you're here in May. Happy to exchange a little acquired local knowledge.

Reactions: JAS
Thanks, Joe. A 500 PF has been on my list based on your shots along with a number of others in this Forum. After one day, I'm excited about the results. Was shooting the 80-400 so I appreciate the reduced bulk & weight. Hope you'll touch base when you're here in May. Happy to exchange a little acquired local knowledge.
I will keep you posted on our travel plans and schedule. First up will be Kearney, Nebraska and sandhill cranes in Early April, then Colorado in May.

Thanks, Jeff. Beautiful animals in a wonderful setting - exciting to capture.
We were at Estes Park / RMNP a couple years ago in the summer and it is beautiful. One of my "to do" list items is to get out there for the elk rut in the fall. We're planning to head to the Smoky Mountains for the fall elk rut this September/October but nowhere near the size and quality of bulls as you all have out west. I agree, beautiful animals.

We were at Estes Park / RMNP a couple years ago in the summer and it is beautiful. One of my "to do" list items is to get out there for the elk rut in the fall. We're planning to head to the Smoky Mountains for the fall elk rut this September/October but nowhere near the size and quality of bulls as you all have out west. I agree, beautiful animals.
There is a resident herd that is often in town at Estes Park blocking the roads, messing up the golf course and otherwise making great photography subjects. Our daughter got some great winter shots in RMNP which is just outside of Estes Park. I have previously posted some shots from Estes Park too.

Back