Burrowing Owls and their Young updated with pics from Day 2

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Chappy

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Yesterday I set up my Z6II with a 24-70 S lens on my tripod as low as possible and placed it about 10 feet away from a burrowing owl hole. I got a few pics but too much traffic around and the owlettes didn't come out much.

In the first picture you will see, this is about as close as I can get to the burrow before they go running back in. It was taken with my 500pf on my Z9 in Dx mode. My house sits in the middle of a 10 acre pasture out in the country. There are no trees and it is wide open. Last year I set up the tripod with the Z6II and set the camera to take a picture every 15 seconds. With this years rainy weather I cant work on the farm for a couple of days and going to set up the camera more during that time.

Today I put the 70-200 S on the camera and moved it about 20 feet away. I'm hoping they will become accustomed to the camera sooner than later. Below are a few of the examples from yesterday.

If you have any other suggestions please feel free to make them.

Z9W_0932.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
Z62_8906-Enhanced-NR.jpg
Z62_7979-Enhanced-NR.jpg
Z62_8329.jpg
Z9W_8655-Enhanced-NR.jpg

Last edited:
Day 2 Update.

Day 2 of setting the camera up focused on the Burrowing Owl hole near my home east of Lubbock. Same settings as yesterday. Aperture priority with Aperture set at F18 for high DOF, Auto ISO and a minimum shutter speed of 1/1000th of a second. Using a Z6II with a 70-200 F2.8 S lens.
I kept shooting all day with three battery changes, 3 momory card changes and over . I was 1,500 images. I wasn't shooting for any particular shot but hoped to see a variety of images of the owlettes as they moved in and out of the Burrow. I changed the position of the camera four times to keep the sun behind the camera. Finally, I put the images through Lightroom and cropped. Some were cropped heavier than others.

I can confirm that there are 6 owlettes in the burrow. Hopefully, I will get another good day in shooting them tomorrow morning and then on the sprayer or tractor in the afternoon.

Z62_0869-Enhanced-NR.jpg
Z62_9634.jpg
Z62_9642.jpg
Z62_0280.jpg
Z62_0454.jpg
Z62_0466.jpg
Z62_0612.jpg

Back