Cades Cove

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

It can really depend but I’ve seen the most around August. But like Wes said, you’ll always know if a bear is around because of the pileup. Sometimes people park on the side and sometimes they won’t. Generally things will improve when a ranger stops by and forces people to get back into their cars or make people move if they’re just sitting in the path. Generally people won’t move until they either get their cell phone video or the bear moves off. You don’t generally find people getting bored and moving along so others can see the animals. Goes for deer as well and even turkeys.

April/May When I was there Bears were most reliably seen in the afternoon/evenings. The absolute best way to get to the bears in Cades Cove is on an Ebike. When the bear jams happen you are stuck in your vehicle 200 yards back.... or you can ride right past the cars.
Has anyone here tried walking around Cades Cove on the vehicle free days from May - Sept? The loop as I understand it is only about 11 miles, so one could spend a leisurely day walking it. You'd think the bears would be more forthcoming without all the motorized vehicles ....

Has anyone here tried walking around Cades Cove on the vehicle free days from May - Sept? The loop as I understand it is only about 11 miles, so one could spend a leisurely day walking it. You'd think the bears would be more forthcoming without all the motorized vehicles ....
Even if you knew Where along those 11 miles bears would be visible, they would likely be gone by the time you walked the distance. The bears didnt seem to mind vehicles much when I was there.

As mentioned above, check the website for Cades Cove to verify opening and closing hours for the Cades Cove Loop road (one way) AND what day (s) the road is closed to vehicle traffic.

Would you be camping ?

The bear start emerging earlier but you don’t really begin to see them until mid April and they will be out until mid November. Some people prefer to see them in the fall because they will be fattening up for the winter and you’re more likely to see them in trees. Their costs may also look better. I‘ve spent some time there in the summer but it is more crowded and not as enjoyable. My preference is the spring before the foliage starts to take over and making it more difficult to get shots. As far as time of day, this is going to vary a lot depending on weather. Some springs early morning is really good but other times you won’t see much until mid morning and sometimes they are most active mid afternoon.

are you planning a trip there this year?

Even if you knew Where along those 11 miles bears would be visible, they would likely be gone by the time you walked the distance. The bears didnt seem to mind vehicles much when I was there.
Well sure. If the only/best way to see wildlife on that loop is to slowly drive, stopping if you see a bear or a bearjam, then continuing (and presumably going through the loop again if you didn't see much?) then on foot wouldn't make much sense. Is there a way to know what sightings are say three miles ahead?

My thinking was that being on foot when less people and no cars are there would give you a better chance at seeing wildlife in general (bears, wild turkeys, etc). But perhaps that is mistaken -- has anyone on this forum tried it on foot?

The bear start emerging earlier but you don’t really begin to see them until mid April and they will be out until mid November. Some people prefer to see them in the fall because they will be fattening up for the winter and you’re more likely to see them in trees. Their costs may also look better. I‘ve spent some time there in the summer but it is more crowded and not as enjoyable. My preference is the spring before the foliage starts to take over and making it more difficult to get shots. As far as time of day, this is going to vary a lot depending on weather. Some springs early morning is really good but other times you won’t see much until mid morning and sometimes they are most active mid afternoon.

are you planning a trip there this year?
I’m thinking about it. I have a calendar already going into October with commitments so looking to see if I can do a few days there.

Visited in late October and saw mom with two cubs in an oak tree over the road. Great color and light.
20231026  2835.JPG
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

For black bear cubs in Cades Cove, I'd count on late April through June. Crowds can be a lot heavier in June, so plan accordingly.

I've had good luck parking my car and walking when there is a bear jam. If you take your time and watch the bears, you can anticipate where they are moving and be in position for them to come to you. Once there is a crowd, people start getting too close and driving the bears away.

Bears don't hibernate in the southern states. They don't eat as much to fatten in the fall. You do have to pay attention because spring bears can look a bit ratty.

Bears are reliable in the cherry trees of Cades Cove in August, and in the oak trees in October and November. I avoid the weekends and try to get in first thing in the morning on weekdays. I'll make one loop of the Cove first thing in the morning and look for opportunities. As it gets later, it pays to park your car and walk into the fields or meadows. July is the busiest month - followed by October. Weekends can be a disaster with crowds.

Be sure you pay attention to the new regulations about parking passes and where you can park. The options are a lot more limited than a couple of years ago.

For black bear in Cades Cove I like March- mid May and October-mid November. Suggest avoiding June-August can be hot, humid and way to crowded for me October is also crowded do to fall foliage. My favorite time is the week of Thanksgiving into mid December crowds are almost non existent. However Cades Cove is a very magical place and is a Great place for photography. Let’s not forget the rest of the Great Smoky Mountains N.P. For those that haven’t had the pleasure of visiting the park I suggest a visit you won’t be disappointed.

Back