Camera and lens insurance

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Are there any insurance companies that will cover 2 of my most used lens? At present I have them on with the house insurance. Yesterday I had a problem with my 200-500 with the zoom lock is jammed and I cannot zoom the lens. My insurance company told me it was a maintenance issue and not covered. This is the second time this has happened to the lens. I believe its a bad design. After the first repair I never use the zoom lock. The lens/camera have always been carried horizontal either on a cross chest strap for 3 days in January and the rest of the time hand holding it in the car or on a monopod. I'll call Lensrental Monday to see if they can remove the zoom lock from the lens. If they can't I'll get it repaired and put some tape over the zoom lock switch keeping it in the off permanently.

That’s a problem I’ve seen a number of times now. Something about one of the fastening screws coming out a bit and stopping the zoom rotation. You can fix it yourself….there are a number of YouTube videos I’ve seen that show it . Tricky, but doable.

I've tried repairing myself but it is locked and I can't rotate the zoom so I sent it to Nikon and now they want to charge me over $500 to turn a couple of screws. If I was working I would sell all the equipment and switch to Sony or something. I except to get an email from them sometime Monday.

Back