Camera Backpacks for 800 mm PF

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

BillW

Supporting Member
Marketplace
[I posted a similar question in the thread comparing the 800 mm f5.6 to the Z 800 mm PF. But it was a bit OT there so thought I would post it as its own thread.]

My dealer called last Wednesday to tell me that he has an 800 mm PF for me. Out of town, so I have not yet picked it up, but hope to do so this week.

I’ve been thinking about how to carry the 800 mm PF when I want to use it. I’m thinking about two bags — one a single backpack for the 800 mm PF and a Z9 body (plus a Z 1.4x TC and extra cards and battery) when that is all I want to take (say to a local wildlife refuge). Considering whether the ThinkTank Glass Limo might work for that. (I currently use a ThinkTank Glass Taxi for the 500 mm PF and a body — initially the D500 or D850, but still fits with the Z9.) Also thinking about the LowePro Lens Trekker 600. Curious to know whether anyone with an 800 mm PF has tried either of these bags. Or would recommend something else for this role.

The other need is for a bag that will hold multiple lenses and two bodies, one of which is a Z9, for air travel. I have the LowePro Prorunner 450 AWII and have used that with the 500 mm PF, 100-400, Z 24-120, 2 bodies and other stuff. Wondering if that could fit the 800 mm PF with either the 100-400 or the 500 mm PF.

I suppose I’ll be able to test that soon enough. I’m curious to know what other backpacks people are using when traveling with the 800 mm PF.

Last edited:
I’m sure the topic has been covered already. This link is close. I didn’t merge the threads as the question does differ

I’m sure the topic has been covered already. This link is close. I didn’t merge the threads as the question does differ

Thank you. Somehow I missed that one. You can delete this thread if duplicative.

I use Gura Gear 30/32L backpacks. Mostly very happy with them. Zipper was somewhat hard to use in older models and the Kiboko II has a very smooth zipper but is an inch or two less thick (or so it seems).
I find the Gura Gear great for travel but not so great for hiking -- the straps and waist support belt are just too thin (unpadded) for me. AND of course these bags are the least padded of all the bags in my collection.
Can you please say more about what you meant by "but is an inch or two less thick" - are you stating the bag is narrower than say the Bataflae 32L? The Kiboko II is 30L -vs- the 32L Bataflae. The Kiboko II does seem to be 3cm narrower and 2cm less deep than the Bataflae. Perhaps when/if Gura Gear come out with a 32L version it will be a similar size to the Bataflae 32L. Until then I still use my Bataflae inside an old samsonite hardshell suitcase to carry the gear I cannot take on the aircraft as carry-on AND then to move small amounts of gear around the camp/safari vehicle.

Last edited:
I have the LowePro Trekker 600 which is a great backpack for a large lens. I used it with the 600mm f/4 and now with the 800mm PF. A comparable bag and a very good value is the Ruggard Alpine 600 sold by B&H for $140. The Trekker now sells for an outrageous $380 or double what I paid when I bought mine in 2016. Both carriers have straps to attach a tripod or monopod to the side and still have access to the main compartment.

Both will protect the lens with a camera attached which is not true with the Nikon CL-L3 case provided with the lens. I can fit the 800mm PF with a camera attached inside the Nikon case but there is no protection for the camera or the camera to lens mount. These backpacks have two shoulder straps and an exterior pocket for extra battery, filter, Kirk Security Strap, and other items.

One option is to have a small fanny pack to carry extras and mine has a water bottle holder as well. I use the Kirk SS-1 Security Strap sold by B&H and it clamps onto the foot of the 800mm PF lens and with it over my shoulder I only need one hand to keep it against my hip and my other hand is free to hold the tripod or monopod or other support. With a lens like the 800mm PF and using a monopod I can move around quickly.

I find the Gura Gear great for travel but not so great for hiking -- the straps and waist support belt are just too thin (unpadded) for me. AND of course these bags are the least padded of all the bags in my collection.
Can you please say more about what you meant by "but is an inch or two less thick" - are you stating the bag is narrower than say the Bataflae 32L? The Kiboko II is 30L -vs- the 32L Bataflae. The Kiboko II does seem to be 3cm narrower and 2cm less deep than the Bataflae. Perhaps when/if Gura Gear come out with a 32L version it will be a similar size to the Bataflae 32L. Until then I still use my Bataflae inside an old samsonite hardshell suitcase to carry the gear I cannot take on the aircraft as carry-on AND then to move small amounts of gear around the camp/safari vehicle.
Just looking and packing my wife's Kiboko II I noticed that is smaller. You say 2 cm less deep (I thought it was more like 4-5 cm less deep but that is a guess on my part.

the Kiboko II is a great bag with lots of improvements, how I find it is lacking on two fronts.

1. It is smaller than either the Bataflae or G32 and
2. I can not angle the center divider which I needed to do to carry both 600 F/4 and 200-400 F/4 along 2 pro bodies, 70-200 F2.8, flash and I think a 24-70. Of course it was very heavy but I was younger then ..

Bill, you asked specifically about the Z9 with the 800 PF (I’m assuming you want the lens attached) and if it would fit in a TT Glass Limo and my answer is a qualified yes. I needed a new day trip bag when the Lowepro bag I used for that purpose was too shallow to accommodate my new Z9. Having just ordered the 800 PF I looked for a bag that would fit the Z9 with it attached (at 15.3“ in length and 5.5“ diameter it would be my longest and widest lens) and the Glass Limo’s internal dimensions seemed to fit so I bought one. Now, doing more measurements with my Z9 in the bag I’m pretty confident it will fit but with not much room to spare. An attached teleconverter probably will be too long or if it does fit, it will be very tight. And I don’t know about the OEM len’s hood…myself I plan on getting a collapsible hood like the one from Lens Coat. There will be room for things like extra cards and batteries…right now I carry a mid-sized spotting scope in the bag along with my Z9 and either a 500 PF or 100-400 Z attached and I’m hoping it will still fit when I get my 800 PF (yeah, I can dream…).
I’m hoping someone who actually has the Z9, 800 PF, and Glass Limo can verify my estimates.

Bill, you asked specifically about the Z9 with the 800 PF (I’m assuming you want the lens attached) and if it would fit in a TT Glass Limo and my answer is a qualified yes. I needed a new day trip bag when the Lowepro bag I used for that purpose was too shallow to accommodate my new Z9. Having just ordered the 800 PF I looked for a smaller bag that would fit the Z9 with it attached (at 15.3“ in length and 5.5“ diameter it would be my longest and widest lens) and the Glass Limo’s internal dimensions seemed to fit so I bought one. Now, doing more measurements with my Z9 in the bag I’m pretty confident it will fit but with not much room to spare. An attached teleconverter probably will be too long or if it does fit, it will be very tight. And I don’t know about the OEM len’s hood…myself I plan on getting a collapsible hood like the one from Lens Coat. There will be room for things like extra cards and batteries…right now I carry a mid-sized spotting scope in the bag long with my Z9 and either a 500 PF or 100-400 Z attached and I’m hoping it will still fit when I get my 800 PF (yeah, I can dream…).
I’m hoping someone who actually has the Z9, 800 PF, and Glass Limo can verify my estimates.
Thanks. I would like room for an attached TC. I’m thinking of giving the LowePro Lens Tracker 600 a try. It sounds like it has a bit more room than the ThinkTank Glass Limo. I do like ThinkTank products and have liked the ThinkTank Glass Taxi for my 500 mm PF.

Some of the discussion has been in the thread comparing the 800 mm f5.6 to the 800 mm PF.

I have the LowePro Trekker 600 which is a great backpack for a large lens. I used it with the 600mm f/4 and now with the 800mm PF. A comparable bag and a very good value is the Ruggard Alpine 600 sold by B&H for $140. The Trekker now sells for an outrageous $380 or double what I paid when I bought mine in 2016. Both carriers have straps to attach a tripod or monopod to the side and still have access to the main compartment.

Both will protect the lens with a camera attached which is not true with the Nikon CL-L3 case provided with the lens. I can fit the 800mm PF with a camera attached inside the Nikon case but there is no protection for the camera or the camera to lens mount. These backpacks have two shoulder straps and an exterior pocket for extra battery, filter, Kirk Security Strap, and other items.

One option is to have a small fanny pack to carry extras and mine has a water bottle holder as well. I use the Kirk SS-1 Security Strap sold by B&H and it clamps onto the foot of the 800mm PF lens and with it over my shoulder I only need one hand to keep it against my hip and my other hand is free to hold the tripod or monopod or other support. With a lens like the 800mm PF and using a monopod I can move around quickly.
I recently purchased the Ruggard 600 for my 600mm and happy with it so far. Like the Molle for more flexibility to strap on additional items.

Thanks. I would like room for an attached TC. I’m thinking of giving the LowePro Lens Tracker 600 a try. It sounds like it has a bit more room than the ThinkTank Glass Limo. I do like ThinkTank products and have liked the ThinkTank Glass Taxi for my 500 mm PF.

Some of the discussion has been in the thread comparing the 800 mm f5.6 to the 800 mm PF.
My Z9 with 800 PF attached easily fits in the Glass Limo. I don't have a TC, but since there's only about an inch to space, that might not work. I also have the Ruggard 600 which has tons of room, even with an attached 600 f4.

My Z9 with 800 PF attached easily fits in the Glass Limo. I don't have a TC, but since there's only about an inch to space, that might not work. I also have the Ruggard 600 which has tons of room, even with an attached 600 f4.
Gov, would the 800 PF with hood attached in shooting position, attached to Z9 fit in the Ruggard? (Pull out camera and ready to shoot?)

Gov, would the 800 PF with hood attached in shooting position, attached to Z9 fit in the Ruggard? (Pull out camera and ready to shoot?)
Just tried it and it does fit comfortably. You would be putting a lot of weight on the 800's hood, however, which doesn't seem as strong as other hoods, such as the one for the 600. You could put the camera down and lens up, I guess, but I've never tried carrying a camera with lens attached that way.

I have the 800mm PF and the way I use it is different from what you describe. When I am in the field, my camera body is never packed. I only use bags for 1-3 lenses - and usually have a lens mounted on my camera. For the 800mm PF, I carry the lens on a Black Rapid strap rather than in a bag. If I'm carrying it I intend to use it. I can use the bag that comes with the 800mm PF as a torso bag if desired - the bag is pretty good. But the other approach is to carry a couple of lens in the ThinkTank Turnstyle 20 and not to use a bag for the 800mm PF at all. If I need a 14-30, 24-70, or 70-200, I simply remove the 800 from the camera body and keep it on the Black Rapid strap then mount the other lens of choice.

For travel, I put the 800 PF in my main camera bag - a Think Tank Airport Addicted backpack style bag I have used for years. But I rarely carry that bag into the field.

Bag packed with 800 PF.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

For travel, I put the 800 PF in my main camera bag - a Think Tank Airport Addicted backpack style bag I have used for years. But I rarely carry that bag into the field.
@EricBowles what carry mechanism do you switch to once you are in the field when you are traveling?

Edit: I was wondering if you down-sized to a different bag for use in the field. I get the idea if you were just implying that you switched to a strap/harness system in the field.

Last edited:
I have the 800mm PF and the way I use it is different from what you describe. When I am in the field, my camera body is never packed. I only use bags for 1-3 lenses - and usually have a lens mounted on my camera. For the 800mm PF, I carry the lens on a Black Rapid strap rather than in a bag. If I'm carrying it I intend to use it. I can use the bag that comes with the 800mm PF as a torso bag if desired - the bag is pretty good. But the other approach is to carry a couple of lens in the ThinkTank Turnstyle 20 and not to use a bag for the 800mm PF at all. If I need a 14-30, 24-70, or 70-200, I simply remove the 800 from the camera body and keep it on the Black Rapid strap then mount the other lens of choice.

View attachment 46100
I would generally plan to do the same in the field -- Z9 body and 800 mm PF lens on a Black Rapid strap. Sometimes a second body and lens on a double Black Rapid strap.

The case for the 800 mm lens and a Z9 body (like the LowePro Lens Trekker 600) would be used mainly for the travel portion of day trips (or shorter) to and from locations near my home or cabin where that was likely the only lens I would use for the day. Maybe in some tricky hiking situations I'd put the lens and camera back in the case, although the Z9 + 800 mm PF is not exactly a light weight hiking kit. Maybe pumas in Patagonia?

Travels to farther places would be packed in a larger backpack usually with 2 bodies and several lenses, depending on the subjects I expect to see.

@EricBowles what carry mechanism do you switch to once you are in the field when you are traveling?

Edit: I was wondering if you down-sized to a different bag for use in the field. I get the idea if you were just implying that you switched to a strap/harness system in the field.
I work with two bags - a main backpack style bag that holds everything that travels if possible, and a small torso style bag that I carry into the field (for air travel this bag is in my checked luggage and filled with clothing; I also pack lens hoods in my luggage). In addition, I have a Black Rapid strap for use with a long lens or lens that needs a lens foot. The BR Strap is used to keep a long lens accessible and in position for a quick change if needed. I've been using this approach for about 4-5 years with the ThinkTank Turnstyle 20. It's big enough to hold a 14-30, 24-70, and 70-200 or various other combinations that might include a 1.4 TC, 105 macro, or even an F-mount lens and FTZ. The bag is a little small for the 70-200, but works if I only carry one other full size lens. The Turnstyle bag has good pockets for filters, batteries, business cards, keys, rain gear, etc., along with a comfortable wide strap.

The added benefit of this approach is I travel a lot lighter into the field. That makes it more likely I'll take the time to stop and change lenses - even for a single shot. I have no hesitation in carrying my 800mm and Turnstyle bag for hikes of 5+ miles.

It can be important to think about how much an empty bag weighs. Big bulky backpacks have a lot of weight when empty, and because they are big I tend to over pack. In practice, I do better when I have 2-3 lenses or less. The reality is just using a single lens could be a very good answer. Yes - you'll miss some shots. But you'll also be more aware of what your one lens can do and that may mean increased creativity.

Just tried it and it does fit comfortably…..

Thank you very much Gov for confirming the fit. My intended use would simply be for transporting the Z9/800 locally by car from home to a location in one piece all set up and ready to shoot. Do you think that sounds like a reasonable plan or do you have any other suggestions? P.S. This forum is my favorite because of the way fellow photographers, who are often complete strangers, are always helping one another. Nice to see people be normal in this crazy world these days.

When in doubt I find the B&H website very helpful to find the interior dimensions of a bag or backpack. My Trekker 600 holds the 600mm f/4 and the 800mm PF with a camera and teleconverter attached. The Ruggard 600 has roughly the same internal dimensions and will work with these two lenses as well.

With the 600mm I liked to have the TC-14 left on the lens and a D850 camera and transport them in the LowePro Trekker. At a location I can take the assembled lens, TC, and camera out of the bag and no need to worry about windblown dust while putting it together out in the field. When walking around the 600mm or 800mm is attached to a Kirk Security Strap and this leaves one hand completely free for the tripod. I do not like walking around with the lens attached to the head on a tripod and it all carried on my shoulder.

[I posted a similar question in the thread comparing the 800 mm f5.6 to the Z 800 mm PF. But it was a bit OT there so thought I would post it as its own thread.]

My dealer called last Wednesday to tell me that he has an 800 mm PF for me. Out of town, so I have not yet picked it up, but hope to do so this week.

I’ve been thinking about how to carry the 800 mm PF when I want to use it. I’m thinking about two bags — one a single backpack for the 800 mm PF and a Z9 body (plus a Z 1.4x TC and extra cards and battery) when that is all I want to take (say to a local wildlife refuge). Considering whether the ThinkTank Glass Limo might work for that. (I currently use a ThinkTank Glass Taxi for the 500 mm PF and a body — initially the D500 or D850, but still fits with the Z9.) Also thinking about the LowePro Lens Trekker 600. Curious to know whether anyone with an 800 mm PF has tried either of these bags. Or would recommend something else for this role.

The other need is for a bag that will hold multiple lenses and two bodies, one of which is a Z9, for air travel. I have the LowePro Prorunner 450 AWII and have used that with the 500 mm PF, 100-400, Z 24-120, 2 bodies and other stuff. Wondering if that could fit the 800 mm PF with either the 100-400 or the 500 mm PF.

I suppose I’ll be able to test that soon enough. I’m curious to know what other backpacks people are using when traveling with the 800 mm PF.
I use a Ruggard for my 300-800mm f5.6 with my d500 attached. It also has pockets for extra batteries and such a long with a big pocket I put my 105 micro in along with 2 teleconverters. It's a nice comfortable backpack

Thanks for all the helpful comments. I’ve ordered a LowePro Lens Trekker 600 and will see how that works. My local dealer does not stock this bag or the other alternatives (of course these bags are quite specialized), so I’ve had to order online and can return if it doesn’t work. I’ll pick up the 800 mm PF on Tuesday or Wednesday. Exciting.

I use Gura Gear 30/32L backpacks. Mostly very happy with them. Zipper was somewhat hard to use in older models and the Kiboko II has a very smooth zipper but is an inch or two less thick (or so it seems).
The older packs had waterproof(mostly) zippers and are hard to open. I have two, a 22 and a 30. They are tough, light and I love the butterfly design. The newer models zippers are water resistant, and much easier to open. I prefer the older, but must remind myself to fully close each time because they are so much harder.

Thank you very much Gov for confirming the fit. My intended use would simply be for transporting the Z9/800 locally by car from home to a location in one piece all set up and ready to shoot. Do you think that sounds like a reasonable plan or do you have any other suggestions? P.S. This forum is my favorite because of the way fellow photographers, who are often complete strangers, are always helping one another. Nice to see people be normal in this crazy world these days.
I have the ruggard and it is much larger than needed and for transport in vehicle to where I am going to use the Z9 and 800 pf. I tried it in the house when I first got the 800 5-1-22 and have never used it again.

I use the bag that came with the lens for short trips in the vehicle to where I will use it. I have black rapid straps but have never used it with my 800 & Z9. For my personal use I am almost always cradle carrying the Z9 800 combo for instant use. I carry the lens and camera with the strap that came with the lens attached to the lens it can go on my shoulder if needed but it is usually just wrapped around my wrist as a safety strap just in case. I have hiked and carried it around for up to 7 miles but that is if I am not carrying another lens or camera body.

If I am traveling a greater distance and want more gear I put the Z800 with Z9 attached in the bag that came with the lens and that is then placed in a Think Tank Retrospective duffel bag 75 that I have lined with closed cell foam I bought at home depot and cut to fit accross bottom and curving up the sides and pieces for each end and over the top if needed. There is room on one end to put duffel etc.. and outside zippered pocket carries batteries, rocket blower etc. etc. etc.. Easy to carry does not scream camera gear when in the back of my suv. I have 2 other retro duffel 50's and have think tank stashmaster 13L that I put in those to carry more lenses, Z6II etc. and more duffel. Used those 3 on the trip to west yellowstone and that was my luggage in my suv.

If I want to carry z6II and lens and my Z9/800 in the field ready to use quickly I use the think tank racing harness and speed belt with MRJan big lens carrier installed and think tank lens case duo for extra lens, water bottle etc. up to 3 on the belt. If the Z6II with Z100-4000 or Z70-200 attached is carried then that is in a think tank digital holster 50 v 2.0 attached to the speed belt. I have shown the set up on me in previous threads with the D6/600f/4E in the long lens carrier portion.

I do not travel by plane so that has not been an issue for me.

I searched and found the photos of your custom system combining the ThinkTank harness and MRJan. Wow, it looks awesome and you have everything at hand. Thanks for sharing all the details above, as you obviously put a lot of time and thought into creating your custom system. Much appreciated.

Back