Camera sounds

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

RichF

Well-known and Infamous Member
Supporting Member
Marketplace
As posted on Nikon Rumors (plus elsewhere) NIkon is experimenting with alternative/custom camera sounds? Which would you like your Z9 to sound like?

For me, I would like to have a soft camera shutter sound as an option.

Plus I would like to camera to make a sound of film rewinding (remember film?) as the card gets full. Let me specify how full the card needs to be (200 shots left, 100, 50 or perhaps full). That would warn me it is time to change the card. Not really necessary with the Z9 in overflow mode but would be very helpful if you have only 1 card installed in the camera or run in recording to both cards.

I've turned off the sounds on every mirrorless camera I own (four as of now) and all their predecessors; I don't need or want my cameras making any sound. My first mirrorless camera was a pleasure after the slam-bam of my SLR cameras. One guy's opinion, certainly others may not feel that way.

As posted on Nikon Rumors (plus elsewhere) NIkon is experimenting with alternative/custom camera sounds? Which would you like your Z9 to sound like?

Plus I would like to camera to make a sound of film rewinding (remember film?) as the card gets full. Let me specify how full the card needs to be (200 shots left, 100, 50 or perhaps full). That would warn me it is time to change the card. Not really necessary with the Z9 in overflow mode but would be very helpful if you have only 1 card installed in the camera or run in recording to both cards.
Like your ideas of soft shutter and nothing else. I really like the count-down to full display

A sultry female voice saying "good one".

For me, I am just having a blast just reading some of the posts on this thread, the first response had me laughing but then I read further, that is funny right there, it does not matter who you are!! I don't care what sounds the camera can make as long as I can turn them off, I would like the option of turning the sounds down if I choose to use them though.

Stupid question but would various bird sounds (specific to what you are shooting) help get bird to look toward the camera? I’m not a birder so no idea if that would actually work but I’ve seen some use their iPhone to play bird sounds to attract them which made me think of it.

I'd probably use a soft shutter sound or nothing, but something like the meow could be useful in some situations. Think portrait photographers and kids. Yes, it is a joke but I enjoyed it. :)

Is it asking too much to embed the Merlin app in the camera, recognize the bird being photographed through the lens and then provide immediate appropriate playback with a shutter press to get it's attention? If it can't recognize the bird, how about a "pish , pish, pish"? And for mammals, species recognition and an appropriate mating call? Or if it the camera only recognizes the background, perhaps a slew of swear words? :ROFLMAO:

Back