Canoe photography

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I enjoy bird photography from my canoe and wanted to share my setup in pictures on this post. Gear is a D500 and 500 PF kept in a waterproof Pelican 1430 case until safely out on the water. My tripod is securely attached to the canoe with straps or bungee cords. Any advice, discussion or other thoughts would be appreciated.
ED71D6E8-5CFE-443D-950A-FAB3140A6072.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
ED71D6E8-5CFE-443D-950A-FAB3140A6072.jpeg
38392653-5E00-4B33-A261-59B9BADF19C7.jpeg
C6CD9943-693D-4C3A-9EA5-B9BB6E9FCACD.jpeg

I too love to shoot from canoes and kayaks. In fact, I am buying a new kayak today as a way to prep for the summer.
I've used the OldTown Guide 119 canoe. It is a one person paddle that behaves as much like a kayak as it does a canoe. It is super sturdy and easy to maneuver. This, was my friend's boat. I am actually buying a tandem kayak from Paddle North (linked). The kayak is inflatable, but super solid. Evidently, it is stable enough for standing... too bad I'm not stable enough to stand in it :ROFLMAO:
Believe it or not, I do not use much in the way of gear protection. While paddling "my" river in MN (the St. Croix) and my frequent trips to photograph otter and seals in the Pacific Ocean, I just put my D500 + 500PF (or D500 + 70-200f/2.8 / 1.4x) in a dry bag and go. I know that this is risky, but it allows for flexibility. In the end, I have professional gear insurance and my total liability is $500.

Nice to see a thread like this.
bruce

Back in the “film days” I used to shoot from a homemade cedar strip canoe with a setup similar to yours. I was using a Nikon F5 with a Nikon 500mm f4 P lens. (Manual focus.) Not a high rate of keepers, but still great fun. I might suggest using Velcro straps for a more secure attachment of the tripod legs. Best wishes.

Last edited:
Back