Canon R5ii & R1 : First Impressions

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

That seems very counter intuitive to me - if you are spot metering and move the focus point to the eye, Canon mid-range cameras (?) still spot meter off the center of the grid. I would think this means you should be mindful of light/shadow changes between the center and the selected eye.

I believe he said certain of Canon's top models can meter off of the AF point?? He was unsure whether the R5 II would be able to meter off of the selected AF point or not?

As i mentioned, in evaluative (matrix) metering there is weight given to the confirmed AF point but in context of what the whole scene is doing. It's not that they can't do it with the spot meter, they must think doing it in the center is better. I think the canon logic is the spot meter is a measuring tool to judge exposure rather than always wanting the spot under the focus point to be the average exposure for the whole scene. Of course there is also EC.

Shipment is now inbound to Park Cameras in the UK and I'm informed my camera will be one of those. It will be a battle royale between R5, R5ii, Z9, and Z8 in the household. I had a run in a nature reserve this morning with both R5 and 100-500 and a Z8 with 600mm f4 Z. Best results, objectively speaking, with Canon.

Off-topic for just one post: please, excuse the digression.

In the past, when I included a URL the post appeared with a nice Preview as in David's above. Now when I include an address it just appears as the address line sans preview.

In YouTube:
  • Right-click the YouTube video.
  • Choose Copy video URL.
Copy Video URL from YouTube
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

In BCG Forum:
  • Click Media Icon (between Emoji & Double Quote).
  • Insert Media box opens.
  • Paste the URL copied from YouTube.
  • Click Continue.
To check that the YT video was pasted correctly:
  • Click Preview in top right of your post.
  • Suggestion: Always click Preview before clicking Post Reply.
Paste YouTube URL in BCG Forum post.

Back on topic…

Last edited:
Extended review with birds, mostly with the rf 600f4.

That is a very good review. Looks like a great camera. But it does remind me that we are in a phase of incremental progress rather than "game changer" when it comes to things like AF, frame rates etc. And when it comes to IQ, it is very much that one step forward in one direction costs one step backward in another.

That is a very good review. Looks like a great camera. But it does remind me that we are in a phase of incremental progress rather than "game changer" when it comes to things like AF, frame rates etc. And when it comes to IQ, it is very much that one step forward in one direction costs one step backward in another.

What aspect of IQ are you thinking is compromised?

Last edited:
Got the camera, charged the battery (took 3 hours) and came down with a very nasty virus, so no real testing sadly. Did look at the focus tracking, however, it looked very different from R5 to me, as in better, but setting it up optimally will take a while too plus getting used to it.

If you view the video you will see where Jan discusses shadow noise compared with the original R5. Also the relative merits of stacked vs non-stacked sensors have already been pretty well aired over the past couple of years.

Yeah I saw that. Didn't seem like much in the example he gave, but it was there. The photons to photos site listed the low light EV rating of the r5ii as 10.6 while the original R5 was 10.76. So less than 1/3 of a stop. Z8 IS 10.4.

For maximum dynamic range the r5ii was 11.45 and the R5 11.85. So about a half stop there. Z8 was 11.32.

As you said you give up something as a tradeoff.

https://www.canonrumors.com/more-thoughts-on-the-canon-eos-r1-and-eos-r5-mark-ii-from-paris/

Jeff Cables thoughts on using the R1 and the R5 II at the Olympics with a link to his site for more of his experience.

Tuesday, August 20, 2024

How DID the Canon R1, Canon R5 MKII and new lenses REALLY do at the Olympics?

Last edited:
Yeah I saw that. Didn't seem like much in the example he gave, but it was there. The photons to photos site listed the low light EV rating of the r5ii as 10.6 while the original R5 was 10.76. So less than 1/3 of a stop. Z8 IS 10.4.

For maximum dynamic range the r5ii was 11.45 and the R5 11.85. So about a half stop there. Z8 was 11.32.

As you said you give up something as a tradeoff.
Fro, just posted his video yesterday which included some real life shooting as well as "studio" comparisons to the A1 and Z8. The important take away message with respect to DR, is that for real life applications one wouldn't notice the distinctions.

Still down with flu so cannot really make any 'real' comparisons. but here are two photos of a pair of pigeons with a) Canon R5Mk2 100-500mm at 500mm and b) Nikon Z9 with 600mm f4 TC Z with TC activated at 840mm. It was all in a rush so the photo with a big lens may have been affected in some way but still, obvious winner here.

The photos were not processed beyond default settings of, respectively, Canon DPP and Nikon Studio NX.

I had to crop the second photo further in Windows for it to be accepted here due to size, which removed the EXIF settings. Will try to use Studio NX directly to crop and re-submit (but should be largely the same result).
No joy, cropping further, I still cannot submit due to size not being accepted, but again, no difference, the Nikon shot at the bottom is not even close to the Canon shot at the top.

5F2A5099.JPG

_ZSC5181.JPG

Got one more shot to share: Nikon Z9 with 600mm TC f4 with TC off. This is one is better than the above with TC but still behind the Canon photo.

_ZSC5199_01.JPG

Finally, in terms of focus and subject recognition, Canon nailed the eye with a small box around it with a few exceptions when it jumped to the bird body. Nikon had some photos with a biggish box around the eye but most of the photos put the body in the focus box.

Last edited:
Yes, very positive! I am tempted to get an RF 600mm F/4 to settle my dithering and potentially, sell off Nikon if I see a big difference. Equally possible, might decide to keep Nikon as well while waiting for further firmware or camera improvements. I am totally confident it is the cameras that are behind in some way--not the Nikon glass, which is phenomenal.

Still down with flu so cannot really make any 'real' comparisons. but here are two photos of a pair of pigeons with a) Canon R5Mk2 100-500mm at 500mm and b) Nikon Z9 with 600mm f4 TC Z with TC activated at 840mm. It was all in a rush so the photo with a big lens may have been affected in some way but still, obvious winner here.

The photos were not processed beyond default settings of, respectively, Canon DPP and Nikon Studio NX.

I had to crop the second photo further in Windows for it to be accepted here due to size, which removed the EXIF settings. Will try to use Studio NX directly to crop and re-submit (but should be largely the same result).
No joy, cropping further, I still cannot submit due to size not being accepted, but again, no difference, the Nikon shot at the bottom is not even close to the Canon shot at the top.

View attachment 95666

View attachment 95667

Got one more shot to share: Nikon Z9 with 600mm TC f4 with TC off. This is one is better than the above with TC but still behind the Canon photo.

View attachment 95669

Finally, in terms of focus and subject recognition, Canon nailed the eye with a small box around it with a few exceptions when it jumped to the bird body. Nikon had some photos with a biggish box around the eye but most of the photos put the body in the focus box.
What do you mean by (the Nikon shot at the bottom is not even close to the Canon shot at the top) sorry but I'm viewing this with my phone, Also R5II must have better AF tracking?
Thanks for this.

What do you mean by (the Nikon shot at the bottom is not even close to the Canon shot at the top) sorry but I'm viewing this with my phone, Also R5II must have better AF tracking?
Thanks for this.
Sorry, that was somewhat garbled wording, with flu playing things with my brain. Photo 1 is Canon, I assume it should be visible it is the best of the three. Photo 2 is is Nikon with a TC activated (840mm)--it is the worst of the three, and lastly the third one from the top is Nikon Z9 again at 600mm f4 with TC inactive, second best after Photo 1 at the top with Canon.

And, yes, at first blush (I cannot really stand by this based on a few rushed photos), Canon R5m2 looks good for AF and subject detection, and in certain ways different from Canon R5. These are complex cameras, with a lot of options and variables, so whatever I posted, it is just a first attempt of comparing the systems, which I am personally very interested in clarifying since I have access to both (including Z8, Z9, R5, and R5m2).

Sorry, that was somewhat garbled wording, with flu playing things with my brain. Photo 1 is Canon, I assume it should be visible it is the best of the three. Photo 2 is is Nikon with a TC activated (840mm)--it is the worst of the three, and lastly the third one from the top is Nikon Z9 again at 600mm f4 with TC inactive, second best after Photo 1 at the top with Canon.

And, yes, at first blush (I cannot really stand by this based on a few rushed photos), Canon R5m2 looks good for AF and subject detection, and in certain ways different from Canon R5. These are complex cameras, with a lot of options and variables, so whatever I posted, it is just a first attempt of comparing the systems, which I am personally very interested in clarifying since I have access to both (including Z8, Z9, R5, and R5m2)
Ah ok, It just seems kinda strange that the Canon with the 100-500 would have better IQ than the Nikon prime 🤔 I am also waiting for my R5II next week but I also have the Z9.

Ah ok, It just seems kinda strange that the Canon with the 100-500 would have better IQ than the Nikon prime 🤔 I am also waiting for my R5II next week but I also have the Z9.
Agree, something isn’t right there. I have little doubt that the R5Ii is an excellent camera which exceeds the Z8 in some respects (AF/SD, RAW pre capture, etc) and lags behind in other areas (buffer, AA filter, etc.). After reviewing Jared’s studio images (froknows), the output is extremely comparable and while the 100-500 is a great lens it will not out resolve, outperform the 600 TC.

Agree, something isn’t right there. I have little doubt that the R5Ii is an excellent camera which exceeds the Z8 in some respects (AF/SD, RAW pre capture, etc) and lags behind in other areas (buffer, AA filter, etc.). After reviewing Jared’s studio images (froknows), the output is extremely comparable and while the 100-500 is a great lens it will not out resolve, outperform the 600 TC.
Yes it probably is an excellent camera but as far as AF I think it will be better than Z9 Z8 for sports people photography because of the AI that it has, But as far as wildlife I'm willing to bet they will be close.

Personally, trying to decide between the R1 and the R5 Mark II, I just want to know whether it is better to have more megapixels (R5 mark II) or lower light capability and perhaps a slightly better autofocus (R1) for wildlife in general (for me, that means mostly mammals and some birds) ... Thoughts?

And, yes, at first blush (I cannot really stand by this based on a few rushed photos), Canon R5m2 looks good for AF and subject detection, and in certain ways different from Canon R5. These are complex cameras, with a lot of options and variables, so whatever I posted, it is just a first attempt of comparing the systems, which I am personally very interested in clarifying since I have access to both (including Z8, Z9, R5, and R5m2).

there is most definitely something wrong with how Foxy is shooting and doing testing. no real world or theoretical test would ever suggest a $2700 zoom would outperform a $15500 prime in terms of raw IQ.

give credit where credit is due, I loved my R5 and would still prefer it to a Z8 today. The R5II I got to test recently was even better than my beloved old R5. I still find Canon's AF blows away Nikon.

but of the pics given, I would hope none of those would be considered good test shots, or post/print worthy.

it's one thing to compare body to body, or ecosystem to ecosystem, but to cherry pick an okay image from the R5II + 100-500 and compare it to horrible images from the Z9 + 600TC doesn't really help anyone... and to say "best results, objectively speaking, with Canon" is hogwash. completely disingenuous.

all of these things are different in the so called "tests" - focal length, image size (cropping), shutter speed, ISO, aperture, viewing angle

my best guess is that since no mention of a tripod was made, these are handheld images and foxy wasn't able to handle such slow shutter speeds with the big rig, while it's much easier to achieve better images with the small rig.

Personally, trying to decide between the R1 and the R5 Mark II, I just want to know whether it is better to have more megapixels (R5 mark II) or lower light capability and perhaps a slightly better autofocus (R1) for wildlife in general (for me, that means mostly mammals and some birds) ... Thoughts?

I think this entirely depends on what you shoot. For wildlife, I think most people would say the R5II is the no brainer.

Megapixels are king when it comes to shooting subjects at distances that vary.

All of the reviews from wildlife photographers that I've seen for both Canon and Sony, have shied away from the A9III and R1 for lack of MP.

And although I haven't researched the R1 vs R5II extensively, I know in the case of the R6 vs R5 - the topic of the R6 being better in low light due to lesser MP was debunked. I wouldn't be surprised if it was the same this time around.

Last edited:

Is it just me, or are all those photos soft? Maybe my eyes are a bit tired tonight. I have attached a photo I’ve taken with my old d500 and 200-500 at 500 f/5.6, and cropped the hell out of it, probably 5MP or so only, and imho, it looks a bit sharper? Maybe it was the d850, need to check.

Apologies, it’s an old jpeg, I can probably hunt the original raw file down.

Attachments

• IMG_2265.jpeg
    IMG_2265.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 25
Last edited:
I agree that holding a heavier rig with shaky hands affected by flu was perhaps an issue with the big Nikon. Also agree that _all of them_ are soft to various degrees, but bear in mind the distance, at least 40 feet, fading light, and again, shaky hands perhaps--but obviously, was eager to do _some_ comparison so rushed those out. Having said that, Canon R5 and R5m2 are a great pair and the former had surprised me many times over where I was not expecting good photos, while Nikon surprised me in the opposite direction: getting worse photos than I expected.

Once recovered, I'll try to do a better comparison as I could walk around with both combos at the same time and use them as two separate 'guns' on the same/similar target.

Back