Canon R5ii & R1 : First Impressions

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Yeah, for the most part if you are shooting birds, figure out what the camera's dual-gain ISO step is and think of that as your base ISO. Get that SS up. ISO 100 should rarely (if ever) be used for bird photography.
The R5II, Z8/Z9 and A1 all have ISO 500 dual-gain....up your SS instead of bothering to go below ISO 500. Raise your ISO to whatever you need to get a fast enough SS. It is so easy to make an ISO 6400 image look clean and sharp these days but impossible to make a motion blur photo look good.

Yeah, for the most part if you are shooting birds, figure out what the camera's dual-gain ISO step is and think of that as your base ISO. Get that SS up. ISO 100 should rarely (if ever) be used for bird photography.
The R5II, Z8/Z9 and A1 all have ISO 500 dual-gain....up your SS instead of bothering to go below ISO 500. Raise your ISO to whatever you need to get a fast enough SS. It is so easy to make an ISO 6400 image look clean and sharp these days but impossible to make a motion blur photo look good.
^, here’s one I took a month ago at ISO 5600@ 1/4000th for an idea of the detail after you denoise with lightroom‘s AI denoise tool:

Thanks guys, that was a relapse of sorts when I used the 100-500 with Canon R5: someone had said you can go really low with SS safely so that was copied from the R5 settings used for 100-500 but even then, that was potentially a wrong advice. We shall see today, only bringing Canon today plus 600 on a walk.

Canon Camera Connect …

Canon Camera Connect
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

I always — that's my intention, anyway — connect my camera and iPhone before shooting:
  • Location, GPS and altitude, recorded to EXIF data (is my terminology correct?).
  • Alerts me to camera firmware updates; not sure about lenses.
  • Uploads images to iPhone – definitely not for me (30 images per second oftentimes).
  • Remote control of camera settings and shooting.
  • et cetera…
Do you connect your camera — Canon, Nikon, Leica, Panasonic, OM, Sony — to your smartphone?

Please share experiences and/or heartfelt opinions.

… David

Canon Camera Connect …

View attachment 95906

I always — that's my intention, anyway — connect my camera and iPhone before shooting:
  • Location, GPS and altitude, recorded to EXIF data (is my terminology correct?).
  • Alerts me to camera firmware updates; not sure about lenses.
  • Uploads images to iPhone – definitely not for me (30 images per second oftentimes).
  • Remote control of camera settings and shooting.
  • et cetera…
Do you connect your camera — Canon, Nikon, Leica, Panasonic, OM, Sony — to your smartphone?

Please share experiences and/or heartfelt opinions.

… David
David,
I connect my camera (R5, not used R5 MKII yet where I need it) to the Canon Camera Connect app when shooting from a tripod and I want to use remote shutter. Mostly have used at Eagle nests and some for red-headed woodpeckers when shooting video. Have used it for maybe 3 years with mostly good results.
Dave

Back