Canon R5ii & R1 : Orders being taken.

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I don't think that I was trying to compare the entire market, rather the intent was to present one possible explanation for corporate decision making. Could Canon have produced a body which would have eclipsed the A1? Based on their broad based technologies, the answer is probably affirmative, though at what cost and yield. So, instead they produced a couple of products which are at near parity. A win? That depends on for whom. The R1/R5 do not appear to advance the market much in terms of technology though users of the R5 and R3 will likely appreciate the relative upgrades. Canon likely gains profit and continues to maintain market share largely through its entry pipeline in Asia, though I doubt many users will switch because of these releases.

I assumed that chart represented the whole mirrorless market? It didn't have a legend.

And the quad-pixel AF in the R1 is a first. This should improve focus discrimination in the vertical access.
Thom presented a rather fair analysis based on the information at hand and he tried to weave in quite a few narratives including Rudy's discharge. This seems to dovetail into some of the observations presented earlier.

This early R5 Mk II wildlife video is interesting. In answer to a ‘what lens is this?’ question, the response was ‘it looks like the RF 600mm f4’.

Of particular interest to me are these R5 Mk II features. I’m waiting for field reviews to see how these features - some new, some available previously - are evaluated.

-DIGIC Accelerator assist with subject tracking and recognition
-Cross type dual pixel AF
-Eye AF
-Low light performance and neural net noise reduction
-Pre-capture

But is the R1?
"The EOS R1 is a mirrorless camera geared toward professionals that brings together Canon’s cutting-edge technology and combines top-class performance with the strong durability and high reliability sought in a flagship model. .."

Canon's announcement says it is a Flagship.

R5mkii is undoubtedly capable camera probably close enough to A1, with extra feature being pre-capture.

The lens' lineup for wildlife leaves a lot to be desired, unfortunately :-( No middle tier primes like 400 4.5, 600/800PF or even Sony's 300mm GM. Canon covers high end/heavy and low end (600/800 F11) with nothing in the middle. Very limited IMO and 100-500 + 200-800 don't make up for it, in my mind.

I agree. On the surface, it has no advantage over the Z9. Unless you're in the RF ecosystem (Red users) or have a strong preference to Clog and Craw over the N counterparts.

R5 was actually my "next camera" after switching to FF mirrorless, but it overheated on my first shoot so I went all-in with Nikon.
The 5ii seems to have added false colour display and the CLog3 is very nice, nicer than Nlog - time for Nlog2 or Red raw. Also, folks over on FM are claiming that the Raw video is 14bit but I wonder if that is correct? That aside I would say it has achieved video parity with the Z8. Big improvements in stabilisation are claimed which if true will be great for hand held video.
Overall the 5ii seems to be a fantastic thing and the AI capabilities have hopefully put it at the top of the AF heap and such advances will be matched or exceeded by competitors. Goodness, the price marches ever higher though!

Back