Canon R7 with Sigma 150-600 C and 2X Extender

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I will try and get some photos with better light behind me rather than behind the subject. With luck it might be possible to get acceptable results with this set up.
I expect several are interested in the possibility of more acceptable results with your relatively low cost lens/converter combination.

The nearest Nikon/Canon/Sony option I am aware of is the Nikon F mount 800 f5.6 with 1.2x calibrated to the lens converter.

At at least ten times the cost of the combination you are using - few can afford it.

I expect several are interested in the possibility of more acceptable results with your relatively low cost lens/converter combination.

The nearest Nikon/Canon/Sony option I am aware of is the Nikon F mount 800 f5.6 with 1.2x calibrated to the lens converter.

At at least ten times the cost of the combination you are using - few can afford it.
The cost in Australia for a new Canon 600mm is Aus $20 000, and another Aus $ 600 for a 2X extender. I bought the Sigma 150-600 C 2nd Hand for about Aus $ 850. The Sigma 2X extender I bought new off Amazon for about Aus $ 450.
I am of the opinion that the difference in IQ between a good example of cheap lens is not that much less that the IQ of an expensive prime. There are that many variables other than the lens that affect IQ that for me the extra cost just is not worth the gain.
If I were a pro taking photos at the Olympics it would matter, but as I'm an old guy with a hobby it doesn't. Learning more about light and technique is cheaper than trying to buy my way to good images.
I have no problem if people want to spend upwards of Aus$ 100 000 on gear. However in my opinion it is akin to buying a Stradivarius thinking it will make you a better violinist. I take photos for fun and give them away. If I were trying to make money from the exercise it would be different.
The other thing is that quality control costs. The prime Canon lenses guarantee a certain IQ. A good el cheapo Sigma zoom gets close to the IQ a lot cheaper. I have been lucky with the lenses I have bought [ all 2nd Hand ].

The following image is a crop of the image captured. The cropped area is about 10% of the frame of the original image. I used a monopod. I closed the lens down to f22 and the light was good.
exif R7 1200mm x1.6 f22 1/800 second ISO 1600
For what I want the IQ is good enough to take the 2x extender to Darwin and give it a go on birds.

Ear 13 05 23 -4689-DeNoiseAI-standard resize.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

The following image is a crop of the image captured. The cropped area is about 10% of the frame of the original image. I used a monopod. I closed the lens down to f22 and the light was good.
exif R7 1200mm x1.6 f22 1/800 second ISO 1600
For what I want the IQ is good enough to take the 2x extender to Darwin and give it a go on birds.

View attachment 61020
When I shot this lens on Nikon D500, I found the best image quality came between F8 and F11. If I went beyond F16, the images were softer. Perhaps "diffraction" was coming to play.
Hope this helps and looking forward to seeing your photos from the trip.
Jeff

When I shot this lens on Nikon D500, I found the best image quality came between F8 and F11. If I went beyond F16, the images were softer. Perhaps "diffraction" was coming to play.
Hope this helps and looking forward to seeing your photos from the trip.
Jeff
Thanks for the info Jeff. I'll leave this alone now and post in six weeks time when I have images of birds in Darwin light. I appreciate your posts. For what it's worth I think it shows that it pays to push the limits to see what is possible with the gear you have before chasing bigger and better gear.

Back