Can't get control ring on Z100-400 with Z9 to function as exposure compensation

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

jhallettbc

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I just got a used Nikon Z100-400 and am trying to set the control ring for exposure compensation. On my Z9 menu it shows that I have set the Fn ring (which I assume is the control ring) to exposure compensation but when I turn the ring it just changes the aperture. Even when I set it to None it still changes the aperture. The other buttons work as they should and accept my selections.

I think I must be doing something wrong but after many tries can't figure out what it would be.

Any suggestions?

On my Z9 menu it shows that I have set the Fn ring (which I assume is the control ring) to exposure compensation but when I turn the ring it just changes the aperture.
Under Custom Control settings in the Z9 menu there's settings for the Fn ring and then there's a setting for the Control Ring which by default is set to Aperture. It sounds like you're reprogramming the Fn ring instead of the Control Ring. The Fn ring in CW and CCW directions by default are set to focusing the lens. The Control ring programming sits on the right hand side on the line below the Fn ring programming in the Custom Controls>Shooting menu. As I recall the option to reprogram the Control Ring only shows up when a Z mount lens is on the camera.

Screen Shot 2023-11-24 at 10.00.42 PM.png

Under Custom Control settings in the Z9 menu there's settings for the Fn ring and then there's a setting for the Control Ring which by default is set to Aperture. It sounds like you're reprogramming the Fn ring instead of the Control Ring. The Fn ring in CW and CCW directions by default are set to focusing the lens. The Control ring programming sits on the right hand side on the line below the Fn ring programming in the Custom Controls>Shooting menu. As I recall the option to reprogram the Control Ring only shows up when a Z mount lens is on the camera.

View attachment 75102
Thank you once again for your technical support. I hadn't noticed the lens control ring symbol, I think because the Z100-400 doesn't have a M Set button and thought the last symbol was irrelevant as well. I could set the Fn to exposure compensation and based on the small schematic diagram that accompanies the choices, I thought that was the lens control ring. Very confusing that I can change the settings for Fn when in fact of course it can only be used for focusing.
Once again I don't know what I'd do without this site. Now I can set the exposure compensation with the control ring!!

Thanks Steve. I suspected I would not be the only person to be confused by this. The Z100-400 is my first Z lens to go with my Z9 and one of the things that really appealed to me was to change exposure compensation on the lens. I was recently in Sri Lanka and Kerala and we were constantly having to change EC because the birds would be in the dark forest or in a tree illuminated against the sky. I never found a button that worked for me to make EC really easy.

Back