Capture of Mana Magic with the lens designed in 1916??

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

ElenaH

Yes, the first version of Meyer-Optik Görlitz Trioplan was presented in 1916. It had three uncoated elements and was 50mm f2.9. The Trioplans were produced until 1963 and people liked them because of low price and acceptable quality. Those vintage lenses experienced comeback in the digital era when a lot of adapters appeared in the marked and almost each piece of glass could be mounted to the mirrorless camera.

The Trioplans are famous of their bubble bokeh and colour-glow. Many of macro- or plant-photographers create masterpieces with that lens.
I am interested in history and have a small collection of vintage glass which I use normally to take pictures of plans and insects. But I also took my Trioplan 100mm f2.8 with me to Zimbabwe, Mana Pools where I tried to capture the "magic light" of the park. The park is an Eden. So, if you want to see a paradise you should visit Mana Pools. A plenty of relaxed animals are resting and feeding in the shade of the huge acacia-trees. When the light got through the foliage it turns into a kind of a blue light. People say - the blue magic Mana light.
Well.. I tried to capture it with lens of 1916 design... like if it was 100 years ago (I assume nothing has changed since then with animals and trees)

_D7T9556-NEF_DxO_DeepPRIME-Bearbeitet-Bearbeitet-4.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Please, keep in mind that the photos are not sharp. It is actually not about the sharpness. Consider it as impressionism ;-) The light, the colour and the atmosphere are important.

_D7T9554-3.jpg

There was 125-years Anniversary of Meyer-Görlitz and a photo-contest where the first picture got in best 15. I think this is only because nobody came to idea to take pictures of animals with this lens. ;-) I've got a big print of the photo which looked like a painting. Perhaps, this is a purpose of a vintage lens. What do you think? Is the lens designed more than 100 years ago good enough to capture a Magic of Mana? ;-) Do you have some vintage lens?

I will post here also two images shoot with consumer lens Sigma 150-600mm to make a comparison. I tried to do the same thing: to capture the magic light of Mana Pools. The first picture was published in some magazines but didn't win anything. Well, I had more focal length! With Trioplan I needed to get close to the animals. With Sigma - not. And I must do more processing to show the blue light of Mana. Trioplan has more colour and glow because it is less sharp. With Sigma-picturees I must use some NIK-filters ;-)

_D8H8528-Bearbeitet-Bearbeitet.jpg

The pictures and definitely different from those of Trioplan. But I think, the Trioplan keeps up, too!

_D8H9416-Bearbeitet-Bearbeitet-2-Bearbeitet.jpg

These images are beautiful. Goes to show there is more to a beautiful photograph than sharpness so crisp it "cuts your eyes" looking at it and resolution so high that every eyelash detail is captured. Like many of us I sometimes get caught up in the "what's the sharpest lens" and what is the best color science used in which brand of sensors etc. Thanks for posting these and pulling us back into realization that beauty does not necessarily mean perfection. Sometimes the beauty itself is the perfection.

Very nice As I was looking at the image, it looked familiar Then I noticed it was Mana Pools. Was there last Oct - boy was it hot!

Back