Carbon Fiber lifespan ?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Carbon fibre itself doesn't, the resin might. Usually it doesn't, carbon composite, also tubes, basically live for ever. Unless they get impact damage, carbon fibre composites aboslutely hate that. And while aluminium can be repaired, carbon fibre cannot (at least not in ways that are economical for a tripod).

So, unless your monopod has impact damage, you are fine.

Does carbon fiber get brittle over time or otherwise deteriorate? I bought a monopod used about 20 years ago. Should I be concerned about carrying a 600mm TC + gimbal over my shoulder?
I wouldn't worry about it.

This question gets asked in other areas like aviation, sailing, cycling, automotive applications and other places that use a lot of carbon fiber layups where human life is on the line. The basic answer is that the carbon fiber itself has basically an infinite lifespan but the specific resin, curing process and layup can influence lifespan of the completed part. A general working estimate of 50 years is commonly cited and in engineering applications we take this as a conservative number in the sense that these parts typically last a lot longer. Stated another way, we typically expect carbon fiber parts to last about three time as long as similar aluminum parts in high stress applications.

Just like anything a carbon fiber component can be damaged through impact, puncturing or otherwise or have something like a joint failure but in terms of service life of an undamaged part it should be very long especially since something like a tripod or monopod isn't in daily, high stress use like a lot of other carbon fiber components used in things like helicopters.

I agree with the comments on carbon fiber. I am familiar with its use on bicycle frames. While they are incredibly strong and retain their performance through long term constant use they cane be vulnerable to violent impact. Bicycle frames made of carbon fiber involved in serious accidents tend to shred and disintegrate.

Anything can be poorly manufactured and carbon fiber technique has evolved over the years.

For a twenty plus year old monopod I would be more concerned about the fittings and clamps. Those are more liikely to fail than the tubes themselves.

The basic answer is that the carbon fiber itself has basically an infinite lifespan but the specific resin, curing process and layup can influence lifespan of the completed part. A general working estimate of 50 years is commonly cited and in engineering applications we take this as a conservative number in the sense that these parts typically last a lot longer.
protected from UV, or is the resin not susceptible?

The resin can weaken over time from UV in sunlight…but that’s typically a years of exposure time frame and a monopod doesn’t have years of exposure…even a 20+ year old one likely has only weeks to a few months of actual exposure. Breaking down resin is obvious so if it looks ok then it most likely is ok.

The resin can weaken over time from UV in sunlight…but that’s typically a years of exposure time frame and a monopod doesn’t have years of exposure…even a 20+ year old one likely has only weeks to a few months of actual exposure. Breaking down resin is obvious so if it looks ok then it most likely is ok.
Mine has been in a dark closet for 99% of the time! o_O

Maintenance is key which is not much. Mine goes in the water many times to get the low shot/eye level of the bird. When Im done it gets taken apart washed, dried and put back together. Ive seen where some people abused them don't even rinse them of after a morning shoot at the beach and then complain that there tripod is falling apart. I've had my (3) carbon fiber tripods & (1) monopod for years and never had any issues. I do recommend that a quick inspection before a trip is important and I would also look for discoloration/delamination. JMO

Maintenance is key which is not much. Mine goes in the water many times to get the low shot/eye level of the bird. When Im done it gets taken apart washed, dried and put back together. Ive seen where some people abused them don't even rinse them of after a morning shoot at the beach and then complain that there tripod is falling apart. I've had my (3) carbon fiber tripods & (1) monopod for years and never had any issues. I do recommend that a quick inspection before a trip is important and I would also look for discoloration/delamination. JMO
UH OH !!!!! You just reminded me.....my RRS tripod legs sat in a lake for about an hour in British Columbia this past June!!!! I'm thinking you recommend I take it apart and clean it? LOL! (Really scary seeing my tripod set up on the edge of the bank of the lake - with my 600mm TC on top! The tour leaders set it up for me.)

UH OH !!!!! You just reminded me.....my RRS tripod legs sat in a lake for about an hour in British Columbia this past June!!!! I'm thinking you recommend I take it apart and clean it? LOL! (Really scary seeing my tripod set up on the edge of the bank of the lake - with my 600mm TC on top! The tour leaders set it up for me.)
Fresh water immersion isn't a big deal but after placing my tripod legs in salt water or highly alkaline water (e.g. Mono Lake) I'll take apart the joints and clean the legs with fresh water.

Fresh water immersion isn't a big deal but after placing my tripod legs in salt water or highly alkaline water (e.g. Mono Lake) I'll take apart the joints and clean the legs with fresh water.
Thank you for the reassuring comment! Standing in water with the tripod and lens wouldn't spook me so much. But I was sitting in the water about waist deep. When it was time to leave, I let them grab the tripod+lens and take it safely up the bank. I didn't want to risk grabbing the set up while I was trying to stand up in the lake! o_O

Not to worry the lake had to have been fresh water.

Were any metal parts involved, if so I would wipe them down and apply silicone grease to moving parts or screw threads.

Not to worry the lake had to have been fresh water.

Were any metal parts involved, if so I would wipe them down and apply silicone grease to moving parts or screw threads.
2 of the 3 leg sections were submerged since I was sitting in water about waist deep. We got back late that night and then I flew home the next day, so I had no chance to take it apart and clean it before flying home. Once home I did take off the neoprene leg covers and let them dry out thoroughly! DUH!

I "overhauled" my Gitzo Systematic 3 series tripod recently. All I did was take the legs apart, replace teflon sleeves, wipe clean the tubes with soft cotton, clean out the screw threads on the leg clamps and lubricate the moving parts with silocone grease. I probably did not need to do all that but it was a cathartic emotional experience caring for my beautiful baby and both the tripod and I now work as good as new.

I would have no concern with the legs, but an older tripod may be harder to get parts for. I have one that I love, but the sleeves that clamp on the legs were worn out They are no longer available from the manufacturer, but a friend with a 3-D printer was able to make me the parts I needed.

Not directly on point. But I have carbon fiber shafted kayak paddles and canoe paddles. I’ve used them hard for about 14 years now. I expect I put more stress on the kayak paddles, especially, than I do on my Gitzo and RRS carbon fiber tripods and monopods. I also use the paddles more.

The paddles are holding up well. Nearing the end of another kayaking and canoeing season. (In the summer, I do a lot of photography from my kayak.)

I would have no concern with the legs, but an older tripod may be harder to get parts for. I have one that I love, but the sleeves that clamp on the legs were worn out They are no longer available from the manufacturer, but a friend with a 3-D printer was able to make me the parts I needed.
Good Point. The monopod is made by Gitzo.....but unfortunately their support record is not good at all. Considering how seldom I use the monopod, I wouldn't replace it if it were to develop a problem.

Good Point. The monopod is made by Gitzo.....but unfortunately their support record is not good at all. Considering how seldom I use the monopod, I wouldn't replace it if it were to develop a problem.
If you can find the part number I found a parts place in England and was able to order what I needed.

WHat happens is typically they have an internal sleeve presumably made of Teflon that helps keep the legs moving in and out smoothly. When I took my tripod apaert I found some of those sleeves were worn or broken. I was able to find a complete set for my tripod and was able to replace all of them.

Apart from that the only thing you really need to do is take the legs apart, clean them paying special attention to the threads in the metal clamp mechanism and put them back together. Apply some silicone grease to the threads it helps the mechanism go smoothly.

Pay attention to how the leg assembles there is a rubber gasket in there it has to be put back the same way.

I paid around $100 for all the parts for my three section three leg tripod. That included all the teflon guides, replacement rubber gaskets for the clamps and new O rings. The only thing i reallly needed to replace was the teflon slides.

Once I had everything in place and ready to go the whole process took about an hour,

You can also splurge and get a brand new Really Right Stuff monopod. I think they cost around $400 as I recall.

If you can find the part number I found a parts place in England and was able to order what I needed.

WHat happens is typically they have an internal sleeve presumably made of Teflon that helps keep the legs moving in and out smoothly. When I took my tripod apaert I found some of those sleeves were worn or broken. I was able to find a complete set for my tripod and was able to replace all of them.

Apart from that the only thing you really need to do is take the legs apart, clean them paying special attention to the threads in the metal clamp mechanism and put them back together. Apply some silicone grease to the threads it helps the mechanism go smoothly.

Pay attention to how the leg assembles there is a rubber gasket in there it has to be put back the same way.

I paid around $100 for all the parts for my three section three leg tripod. That included all the teflon guides, replacement rubber gaskets for the clamps and new O rings. The only thing i reallly needed to replace was the teflon slides.

Once I had everything in place and ready to go the whole process took about an hour,

You can also splurge and get a brand new Really Right Stuff monopod. I think they cost around $400 as I recall.
Again, I seldom use a monopod......so if I were to ever run into problems with my current one, I would not replace it.

I suppose there's a carbon fiber failure mode akin to the Oceangate Titan disaster. My understanding is that the repeated stresses on the hull in multiple dives broke individual carbon fibers in the matrix without the whole thing failing, which was't really detectable. Until enough of them were broken. Once the threshold was crossed, at the next heavy stress the failure was catastrophic. Like fatigue failure in metal, though the physical process is quite different.

Don't go using your monopod as a pry bar, I suppose :)

I suppose there's a carbon fiber failure mode akin to the Oceangate Titan disaster. My understanding is that the repeated stresses on the hull in multiple dives broke individual carbon fibers in the matrix without the whole thing failing, which was't really detectable. Until enough of them were broken. Once the threshold was crossed, at the next heavy stress the failure was catastrophic. Like fatigue failure in metal, though the physical process is quite different.

Don't go using your monopod as a pry bar, I suppose :)

With the Titan sub the fibres didn't, most likely, break until the disastrous desintegration. Titan delaminated, the various layers of carbin fibres lost contact to each other. The constant compression meant that only the resin, and not the fibre, took the force, breaking up the resin. Fibres are great for tensile forces, as in a pressure vessel that contains pressure. Fibre take exactly zero force when compressed, as was the case with Titan.

Using a carbon fibre monopod as a crow bar is still a bad idea so, once in an emergency is ok!

Back