Carbon Fiber lifespan ?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

You're more likely to have carbon fiber crack in extreme temps, below 20°, then it is to become brittle on it's own. Steel legs/monopods for winter and carbon fiber for in the water and warmer temps.

Also the number of layers of carbon fiber makes a difference as well

Carbon fibres don't crack, the matrix, the resin, does. And if using the proper one, it doesn't crack neither in low temperatures. Cases in point: snowboards, skis, skiing poles, car and aerospace parts, scuba tanks...

Carbon fibres don't crack, the matrix, the resin, does. And if using the proper one, it doesn't crack neither in low temperatures. Cases in point: snowboards, skis, skiing poles, car and aerospace parts, scuba tanks...
I've seen carbon fiber legs crack in the cold at Conowingo Dam in the past. It was just before sunrise around 10° and the trips bumped into a bench when the guy was walking by. The legs were out on the child about an hour at that point. A 10 layer carbon fiber is obviously stronger than a 6 layer.

But the end result was the same, the section of tripod leg was ruined. The snowboards, skis have a thick coating, it's not bare carbon fiber not the same thing

Well, there is always badly made equipment. Especially with carbon fibre. And one never knows how much steess or damage was done to said tripod before. Also, carbon fibre composites, because it is the composite that fails, not the fibre, fail catastrophically and immediately. They look fine one second and fail the next. Metalics deform before failing. Just because a composite part look (!) good, especially to the untrained eye which includes mine, doesn't mean it is actually good. Because composite parts don't show damage the way metalic parts do, no dents, no visible cracks, no nothing besides scratches in the surface coating.

Carbon fibre sells well so, because everybody believes it to be some light, indestructible wonder material, after all we build planes out of it! Just ask the Titan sub people...

Does carbon fiber get brittle over time or otherwise deteriorate? I bought a monopod used about 20 years ago. Should I be concerned about carrying a 600mm TC + gimbal over my shoulder?
From an aircraft point of view which is extremely anal. The cirris aircraft is made of carbon fiber. It has a life limit of 10,000 hours. That is running flight and take off time. So my best guess is the monopod should last a lifetime considering the time it is stressed is extremely short compared to the cirrus. And those who may say the aircraft carbon fiber is laid down in a much better manner. Lmao. You should see the process. It's all done by hungover folks with brushes and rollers. Lol lol.

Should I be concerned about carrying a 600mm TC + gimbal over my shoulder?
Yes, and it doesn't matter what the monopod is made of. I have personally witnessed several people trip, stumble forward and launch their monpod/camera/lens ending up with a two piece lens. It doesn't take much of a distraction, especially if you aren't on a groomed trail. I avoid that at all cost with a monopod, or tripod. I just doesn't matter how inconvenient it is.

Back