Carrying Case for Nikkor Z 180-600mm Zoom

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

StarTracker50

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Hey all, my Nikkor Z 180-600mm Zoom finally came in and I'm pumped! Of course, it came with that flimsy cloth pouch that everyone is sending out.

I don't need one of those cases that protect the lens from dropping three floors, or falling to the bottom of a lake. I just need enough padding, and a soft outer shell to protect from bumps during travel (NOT checked luggage).

Any advice or previous experience would be much appreciated.

Eddie

Are you looking for just a case for the lens or something to hold camera attached and other misc stuff? Not sure about cases but for bags, some options are:
ThinkTank Glass Limo - camera attached with hood
Mindshift Backlight 26L - camera attached with hood
Think Tank Digital Holster 150 : Camera attached, hood reversed.

Otherwise there's plenty of generic lens cases on eBay, Aliexpress etc

Thank you all for the replies!

I should have been more specific. I mean for the lens only. I think I will go with Marty, Micky, and Joe's selection. I love ThinkTank products, I have their large and small canvas camera bags. But a fairly fitting case is what I'm looking for.

Thank you again,

Eddie

Thank you all for the replies!

I should have been more specific. I mean for the lens only. I think I will go with Marty, Micky, and Joe's selection. I love ThinkTank products, I have their large and small canvas camera bags. But a fairly fitting case is what I'm looking for.

Thank you again,

Eddie
I really like this inexpensive case. I place it inside one of my hunting backpacks, with other photo gear, when I am going to be walking a lot. This allows me to walk to a hide or "spot and stalk" with multiple lenses, tripod, coffee, lunch, etc. Nothing fancy, just utilize what I already have.

JJC-lens-case-open.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
JJC-lens-case.jpg

Nya Evo backpack with the large camera insert handled my 600PF, 100-400, 24-120, Z8 and Z9 quite nicely and would handle my 180-600 that arrived while I was gone to Africa easily if I took the 24-120 out. In future trips…if I'm taking both of the large telephotos I'll just swap the 24-70/f4 for the 24-120 for size and weight and toss it in the laptop bag…either that or upgrade my 36 liter one to the 60 which is 44 in the non expanded mode and still carryon legal.

I really like this inexpensive case. I place it inside one of my hunting backpacks, with other photo gear, when I am going to be walking a lot. This allows me to walk to a hide or "spot and stalk" with multiple lenses, tripod, coffee, lunch, etc. Nothing fancy, just utilize what I already have.

View attachment 86804View attachment 86805
I own the same and am very happy with it!

Another vote for this budget JJC container. Great fit for the lens, very well made (especially for the money). Also makes a pretty decent 'holster' with camera (Z9) fitted and the lid open.

Nya Evo backpack with the large camera insert handled my 600PF, 100-400, 24-120, Z8 and Z9 quite nicely and would handle my 180-600 that arrived while I was gone to Africa easily if I took the 24-120 out. In future trips…if I'm taking both of the large telephotos I'll just swap the 24-70/f4 for the 24-120 for size and weight and toss it in the laptop bag…either that or upgrade my 36 liter one to the 60 which is 44 in the non expanded mode and still carryon legal.
Nya Evo was on my short list but it doesn't fit the 180-600 when mounted even with the largest cube. I came across a killer deal on a Gura Gear Kiboko 30L+ and have been very happy with it. It fits the 180-600 mounted with room to spare. I took the setup to an airshow and it was very balanced and comfortable to walk around with.

20240411_105449.jpg

Nya Evo was on my short list but it doesn't fit the 180-600 when mounted even with the largest cube. I came across a killer deal on a Gura Gear Kiboko 30L+ and have been very happy with it. It fits the 180-600 mounted with room to spare. I took the setup to an airshow and it was very balanced and comfortable to walk around with.

View attachment 87202
They have a new XL size that fits only in the 60C…and allows access from both top and back…and IIRC it handles a Z9 with a mounted 800PF…but how that impacts carrying other things I don’t k ow. For me…its a transportation issue only and lenses are not mounted for that…in the field the lens and body are either on the car seat or a BR strap anyway.

A good option is a neopren lens cover that protects the lens while inside a backpack. I first used on with a 600mm f/4 lens so I could place other items in the same space in a backpack and it works well with smaller lenses. A sheet of closed cell neoprene would also work. This is a $19 solution for your lens.

I prefer this approach as it minimizes the amount of space needed for a lens as compared to a dedicated lens case. I use lens cases for storing a lens but they are too bulky to use with a photo backpack.

I use camera wraps to accomplish the same with my camera bodies and this has become even more important with TSA agents wanting to have the camera bodies going separately though the x-ray scanners at airport security.

I have a few JJC lens cases and they are very well made and an excellent value. I only use them to store lenses at home. Outside of the house I use a photo backpack 100% of the time and a lens case of any type wastes too much of the available space. The backpack dividers already protect the lens and all that I need is something to allow putting small items in the same area as the telephoto lens without scratching it.

The only lenses I have taken in a separate lens case were the 600mm f/4 ones and the 800mm PF and with these I have used a lens case with shoulder straps and a small pocket for a shutter release cable and drop-in filters.

Back