Cataract Surgery

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Cataract surgery

Over the past 5 years my cataracts had been getting progressively worse. I was reluctant to get surgery because I only have one good eye, my right one. The left eye was at best 20/60 with glasses and that was before cataracts developed. It reached the point where driving at night was becoming a hazard. On coming headlights were blinding and even during the day I could barely read road signs until I was on top of them. Distant as well as close up objects actually where nearly impossible to make out with any real detail. When I was out observing birds, it actually looked as if there were two of them flying side by side when actually there was only one. Instead of one moon I saw two. Bright distant objects were double images. Even in the viewfinder subjects appeared blurry. I had to trust the autofocus. Finally, I decided that it was time to get it done.

The doctor, who is one of the best did my right eye first on September 14. The cataract in this eye was the worst. It took all of 10 minutes and when I went to recovery I could believe how well I could now see. The colors were intense and the clarity was something I have not experienced in years. My vision in that eye is now 20/20.

Two weeks later I had the left eye done. The vision in that eye went from 20/400 to 20/40.

I had been wearing glasses most of my life and now I only use them for reading or previewing my photos. I’m seeing better than I have in my entire life. And I only elected to get the basic lens implants(monofocal lenses). You can opt for the more sophisticated lenses but I didn’t need to introduce more variables . I wanted to keep it simple and I have no problem using glasses for reading only.

If anyone on this forum is contemplating having cataract surgery, go for it. It’s a life changing experience.
I had it done a little over a year ago. Wow, night turned into day. Only wish I had spent the extra money for the lenses with both distance and reading. It was the same choice I usually make with camera lenses.

I had it done a little over a year ago. Wow, night turned into day. Only wish I had spent the extra money for the lenses with both distance and reading. It was the same choice I usually make with camera lenses.
I opted for just distance. I wore contact lenses for nearly 40 years and had tried all kinds of things, bi-focal lenses, mono-vision (one eye sees close, one eye sees far, my sister does this and loves it.) I could never see well enough with any choices, a lot of haze seeing the fuzz of distance over close up and vice versa. I'd be afraid to try it (and I was.) Cataract lenses are permanent and can't be easily replaced if it doesn't work well for you. I don't mind readers I buy them cheap from Amazon or the pharmacy (I prefer Foster Grants).

When I had mine done in 2015, I asked my opthamalogist (also the surgeon ) about multi focal lenses. She said that while certainly an option, in her opinion the results weren’t to the level of the single focus lenses. She also said since I was getting the surgery while in my early 60s, that my near vision could still change as I age to where readers might be necessary. So I decided both replacements would be for distance and I’d just use readers. Works really well for me.

When I had mine done in 2015, I asked my opthamalogist (also the surgeon ) about multi focal lenses. She said that while certainly an option, in her opinion the results weren’t to the level of the single focus lenses. She also said since I was getting the surgery while in my early 60s, that my near vision could still change as I age to where readers might be necessary. So I decided both replacements would be for distance and I’d just use readers. Works really well for me.
I’m very happy with the distance vision. The clarity is amazing. Reading glasses are no big deal for me.

Interesting that this thread came up today. I was at the eye doctors just a couple of days back and she told me I'm 1-2 years away from the surgery. I kind of wished she would say I'm ready now. I get frustrated at not being able to read road signs and all the stars from any light source at night. I'm glad all went well, Ralph. I hope to join the "club" soon. :)

If you have the mono lenses and still need glasses for reading, what happens when you are out shooting and need to look at your menus, or even see the settings in the viewfinder?

If you have the mono lenses and still need glasses for reading, what happens when you are out shooting and need to look at your menus, or even see the settings in the viewfinder?
Settings in the viewfinder is easy since you are already adjusting the viewfinder diopter. Looking at menus can be more of an issue if you have to use them. For some cameras, there are many items accessible with the numerous buttons, and/or you can program existing buttons to make changes. This requires practice and good muscle memory, but does avoid chimping at the menus to make desired changes. Me, I just keep reading glasses in my pocket and use if/when needed

Since I use the Z9 and the Z8, I can see everything in my viewfinder. When I had the D850, I carried an inexpensive pair of reading glasses in my pocket. No big deal. Still better for me than the chaos I saw when trying bifocal contact lenses or mono-vision (close in one eye, far in the other.)

Thanks Ralph! I've been trying to convince my wife of this for a couple of years. She is having trouble seeing the birds and gets frustrated. It takes away much of the enjoyment. She has a mild case of Fuch's dystrophy so she has been recently advised that having cataracts removed earlier than later lessens potential complications. I think she's decided to move ahead.
I'm a candidate as well, but our eye doc says not yet.
All I can say is that I've enjoyed your shared photos a lot and look forward to your new ones! I'm sure you will find new enjoyment in your photography!
--Alan
The only regret she’ll have if she has catract surgery is that she didn’t do it sooner.

Do as I did: get the distance on both eyes. Then use a reading soft contact in one of your eyes, I use it in my left eye, usually.
I found my vision awful when I tried that with contact lenses. I saw halos around everything. Besides, I had worn contact lenses for nearly 40 years, I personally wanted to get rid of them. But, to each his own. 😊

Cataract surgery

Over the past 5 years my cataracts had been getting progressively worse. I was reluctant to get surgery because I only have one good eye, my right one. The left eye was at best 20/60 with glasses and that was before cataracts developed. It reached the point where driving at night was becoming a hazard. On coming headlights were blinding and even during the day I could barely read road signs until I was on top of them. Distant as well as close up objects actually where nearly impossible to make out with any real detail. When I was out observing birds, it actually looked as if there were two of them flying side by side when actually there was only one. Instead of one moon I saw two. Bright distant objects were double images. Even in the viewfinder subjects appeared blurry. I had to trust the autofocus. Finally, I decided that it was time to get it done.

The doctor, who is one of the best did my right eye first on September 14. The cataract in this eye was the worst. It took all of 10 minutes and when I went to recovery I could believe how well I could now see. The colors were intense and the clarity was something I have not experienced in years. My vision in that eye is now 20/20.

Two weeks later I had the left eye done. The vision in that eye went from 20/400 to 20/40.

I had been wearing glasses most of my life and now I only use them for reading or previewing my photos. I’m seeing better than I have in my entire life. And I only elected to get the basic lens implants(monofocal lenses). You can opt for the more sophisticated lenses but I didn’t need to introduce more variables . I wanted to keep it simple and I have no problem using glasses for reading only.

If anyone on this forum is contemplating having cataract surgery, go for it. It’s a life changing experience.
Thanks for this post. I’m 76 and on the same path with cataracts becoming more of a problem over the years. Glad to hear you are pleased with the basic lens. I am leaning toward that option as well.
My wife and I just went for annual eye exam earlier this week. She is farther along with cataracts more of a problem. Because she had lasik surgery years ago the doctor recommended the adjustable lens for her. About twice and a half more than the basic lens.

What a great story and encouraging post to many! I'm in the "club" too, had the second one done about two years ago! Would encourage anyone dragging their feet, go for it! You won't regret it. It truly is life changing!

I can read the menus without readers but the reading glasses help a lot. I have the readers hung around my neck. No issues. Viewfinder is clear as a bell,

It’s a gradual process. You will know when it is time.
Mine happened when I went to my annual eye exam with the optometrist at my ophthalmologist office and he fiddled and fiddled with the different lens settings, then threw his hands up in the air proclaiming, "I can't correct your vision anymore." Off I went to the ophthalmologist's office and after some looking and testing, she said, "It's time." I scheduled my surgery, they generally do one eye at a time. I've never looked back. I've worn glasses since I was in the 2nd grade, then got contact lenses as an adult. Today, I love just having normal old person eyes.

I was at the VA last week for my eye exam I'm type 2 diabetic so get checked aout every 4 months I was told will need cataract surgery soon I wera reading glasses now but have problems at night driving with glare from headlights. I have been putting it off but after reading the posts and the positive results I may elect to have it done sooner than later

I had my right eye done as sight was getting to a point that was a problem especially at night, only problem I had was a swelling occurred in the macular at the back and it took
15 weeks to heal and then I could see correctly, was disappointed initially but now found it was worth it can see better than I could for a good while. Frustrating while waiting during the 15 weeks could not see anything through the viewfinder was just blurry so as everybody says is good in general to do it but things can go wrong!

Thank you for bringing up this question. I am anticipating my surgery done in the possibly/hopefully near future. I am currently wearing two glasses: progressional (multi-focus) and computer/reading glasses. I wear progressional for day-around activities (driving, shopping, workout, photo shooting, etc.) and wear computer glasses for computer work and some readings. Now when I go for the surgery, your question will be on me and I wonder what would be the best solution for me. Should I go for the multi-focus (progressional) lens (are they even available besides by-focus)? I think it may be the perfect solution (for photo shooting) even if I still need computer glasses. Can anyone who uses progressional lenses at cataract surgery confirm this in the after-experience (need no glasses for menu and LV display viewing)? Also the price impact? Appreciate your sharing.

I'd guess I was luckier than most, having worn contact lenses for nearly 40 years before I had surgery. As I aged into needing bifocal/reading glasses, I had the opportunity of trying all kinds of solutions. I tried what they call "monovision" where you wear one lense for closeup in one eye and one lens for distance in the other. My sister loves this. I hated it. I saw halos around everything as both my eyes wanted to see and not pass off to the other. I tried bifocal lenses. Some folks I know opted for this, they're more expensive and Medicare doesn't cover them. I never liked them either because with contact lenses they floated around in your eye and could affect your vision at any time. Now, with cataract surgery I imagine they're more stable, but I decided I didn't want to take the risk in case my vision wasn't what I was expecting afterwards. You can't just easily swap them out like you can with contact lenses. I opted for distance in both eyes. I wanted to be able to see what I was photographing. That was most important for me. Now, today I use a Z8 and Z9, and any settings and menu items are easily seen in the viewfinder negating the need for any reading glasses. But, when I was still using the D850, a cheap pair of reading glasses in my pocket was no big issue. I wore reading glasses with my contact lenses for years.

I found my vision awful when I tried that with contact lenses. I saw halos around everything. Besides, I had worn contact lenses for nearly 40 years, I personally wanted to get rid of them. But, to each his own. 😊
Ok, Thanks. I too have worn contacts - 46 years, now in one eye so I'm still counting. For me contacts are great

Back