Cataract Surgery

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I’m really glad to hear how well your surgery went. It’s amazing how far this type of surgery has progressed.
I have to agree with Ralph here, I'm happy to hear about how successful your surgery was! My wife is going in for eye #1 in January. She has Fuchs dystrophy that complicates the cataract surgery. But they told her that the complications get worse if she waits.
It's been encouraging to hear of people's positive results

To summarize my experience.
1-There was nothing wrong with my eyes except old age and a growth on my eyes. The growth was removed in surgery prior to cataracts.
2-I explained that I was a photographer and asked for the best solution possible regardless of cost. The doctor recommended using a laser to cut the existing lens, shape the eye and place the new lenses exactly. He also recommended bi-focal lenses that allow me to see both close up and at distance. The cost was an extra $4K per eye for the laser and the upgraded lenses over what medicare paid.
3-The result is that I can read all but the smallest print and see clearly at distance. One eye is at 20-20 and one at 20-30.
4-After a couple of years my eyesight degraded. The doctor said that the tissue that surrounds the lens was wrinkled so he zapped each eye with a laser. This was an easy operation paid by medicare.

So, in summary, I don't have a 140-400 F/4.5 for my OM-1 but I do have normal eyes at 82 years old.

Regards,
Tom

Ps: The cost was before covid so it could be more now but I'd still happily pay it.

I have to agree with Ralph here, I'm happy to hear about how successful your surgery was! My wife is going in for eye #1 in January. She has Fuchs dystrophy that complicates the cataract surgery. But they told her that the complications get worse if she waits.
It's been encouraging to hear of people's positive results
Alan, sorry to hear about her condition. I hope all goes well with the surgery. If her Fuchs dystrophy is mild, I would suspect she will have dramatic improvement. Good luck.

To summarize my experience.
1-There was nothing wrong with my eyes except old age and a growth on my eyes. The growth was removed in surgery prior to cataracts.
2-I explained that I was a photographer and asked for the best solution possible regardless of cost. The doctor recommended using a laser to cut the existing lens, shape the eye and place the new lenses exactly. He also recommended bi-focal lenses that allow me to see both close up and at distance. The cost was an extra $4K per eye for the laser and the upgraded lenses over what medicare paid.
3-The result is that I can read all but the smallest print and see clearly at distance. One eye is at 20-20 and one at 20-30.
4-After a couple of years my eyesight degraded. The doctor said that the tissue that surrounds the lens was wrinkled so he zapped each eye with a laser. This was an easy operation paid by medicare.

So, in summary, I don't have a 140-400 F/4.5 for my OM-1 but I do have normal eyes at 82 years old.

Regards,
Tom

Ps: The cost was before covid so it could be more now but I'd still happily pay it.
Great to hear everything turned out well. It seems to be a common occurrence with that tissue being zapped a couple of years down the road.

I wear prescription Oakleys, which are rounded so offer more protection than standard glasses. However, they are not hardened safety glasses. When I get my new pair next month maybe I should ask if they offer hardended safety lenses?

I wear prescription Oakleys, which are rounded so offer more protection than standard glasses. However, they are not hardened safety glasses. When I get my new pair next month maybe I should ask if they offer hardended safety lenses?
It can't hurt to ask for impact resistant glass and see if they offer it. Those wrap around glasses are good.
In my profession, I had to deal with the potential for airborne particles. Some of the machines were large CNC machining centers with open areas of work.
I used safety goggles over my regular ones when the potential was higher, but they had internal reflections that could be a problem. They wrapped around as well.
And I got glass over plastic lenses because of needing to wipe dust off the lenses, reducing scratches. My prescription is mild so the glasses are still light.
I considered prescription safety goggles but after my role changed at work, I decided I didn't need them.

I had the operation done 2 weeks ago. The right eye had a correction for arms length focus and the left eye for distance , and the brain works excellent.
I no longer need glasses . The colors are amazingly bright.

I had the operation done 2 weeks ago. The right eye had a correction for arms length focus and the left eye for distance , and the brain works excellent.
I no longer need glasses . The colors are amazingly bright.
Congratulations. It’s amazing.

Wow! Thanks for sharing a great, successful story! It truly is amazing what can be done today ... your story is testament to that. I had a partial cornea replacement a few years back and I'm still hoping a new surgery can help me get back to wearing contacts again. So far, no luck.

Wow! Thanks for sharing a great, successful story! It truly is amazing what can be done today ... your story is testament to that. I had a partial cornea replacement a few years back and I'm still hoping a new surgery can help me get back to wearing contacts again. So far, no luck.
I hope the surgery was successful. It is amazing how much technology in this area has advanced over the years.

I had the procedure done about three years ago. It was very successful and I only wish I had had it done sooner. I’m also an amateur astronomer and was amazed at the pinpoint sharpness and color definition I’m now seeing. I also discovered the dark green couch we had in our living room was actually dark grey! 😀

I had the procedure done about three years ago. It was very successful and I only wish I had had it done sooner. I’m also an amateur astronomer and was amazed at the pinpoint sharpness and color definition I’m now seeing. I also discovered the dark green couch we had in our living room was actually dark grey! 😀
Interesting! I’ve got my initial appointment next week to start discussing the process. Obviously I do photography but I also do some astronomy as well. May I ask what kind of IOL you chose? Any ghosting or halos to speak of?

Interesting! I’ve got my initial appointment next week to start discussing the process. Obviously I do photography but I also do some astronomy as well. May I ask what kind of IOL you chose? Any ghosting or halos to speak of?
I chose expensive bi-focal lenses and had them placed via laser surgery. Expensive, 4K extra per eye maybe 5 years ago but worth it for a photographer. I can read everything but very small print so the multiple indications on my OM-1's EVF are easy to read with either eye. Car lights at night are still a bit of a problem but not nearly as bad as previously. I am 20-20 in one eye and nearly that in the other.

So, spend the money IMHO.

I’m resurrecting this thread because I have cataract surgery scheduled for later this month, and I’m anxious about it. My ophthalmologist was very reassuring about the process and likely outcome, but her “treatment coordinator” was less so, and intimated several times the advantages of toric and multifocal lens implants (at a significant additional cost). Generally speaking, my eyes are in decent shape for my age (71) - no real problems other than the cataracts. My inclination is to stick with standard monofocal lens implants, but the treatment coordinator has me a little concerned that maybe I’m making the wrong choice. I realize that nobody here can offer medical advice, but I’d love to hear from anyone who has faced a similar decision, and what you ultimately elected to do.

I’m resurrecting this thread because I have cataract surgery scheduled for later this month, and I’m anxious about it. My ophthalmologist was very reassuring about the process and likely outcome, but her “treatment coordinator” was less so, and intimated several times the advantages of toric and multifocal lens implants (at a significant additional cost). Generally speaking, my eyes are in decent shape for my age (71) - no real problems other than the cataracts. My inclination is to stick with standard monofocal lens implants, but the treatment coordinator has me a little concerned that maybe I’m making the wrong choice. I realize that nobody here can offer medical advice, but I’d love to hear from anyone who has faced a similar decision, and what you ultimately elected to do.
Abinoone,
I have not had the surgery so I cannot relate personal first hand info. Take the following for what it is - second hand info.
My mother, father and best friend all had cataract surgery in the past 5 or so years. All 3 opted for the standard lens and have been more than happy with the results. My mom had some light sensitivity, especially at night for a few months after but that has abated. My friend had to go back for a follow up treatment of some sort. Said it took 15 minutes and all was well after. He said one eye was blurry after the surgery and the doctor did some laser thing (Neither he nor I are doctors therefore I do not know the right terminology). He said it took about 15 minutes and his vision has been fine since.. He is an architect and still wears reading glasses for his close up work. My father had no issues whatsoever.

Hope this helps.

Mine is scheduled for May as I’m lucky to have early cataracts and doubling in my right eye. My mom and brother both had theirs done within the last few years and they had distance set monofocal. They’ve very happy with how it turned out. My brother’s astigmatism was extreme and they did toric plus glasses. He said it’s the best he’s seen in decades.

I’ll be getting Eyhance distance set for mine. I’m not looking forward to the surgery. That’s my only apprehension even though it should be easy peasy. FWIW on CloudyNights web site there is a long running thread on cataracts where several ophthalmologists answer questions and it has been very helpful. There is a lot of crossover in needs with photography and astronomy.

I had monofocal distance vision lens and have never regretted it. I do need reading/computer glasses. Any problems I had with adjusting camera got solved with mirrorless having the ability to change setting while using the viewfinder vs monitor. I felt like keeping it simple was important.

I am very happy with the monofocal lenses. I just need glasses for reading. I’ve heard that for distance the monofocal lenses can‘t be beat and color is better than with the trifocal lenses. Toric lenses are only needed if you have an astigmatism. I‘m a little surprised that the treatment coordinator is putting that kind of pressure on you. I would bring it to the attention of your ophthalmologist. Good luck .

I am very happy with the monofocal lenses. I just need glasses for reading. I’ve heard that for distance the monofocal lenses can‘t be beat and color is better than with the trifocal lenses. Toric lenses are only needed if you have an astigmatism. I‘m a little surprised that the treatment coordinator is putting that kind of pressure on you. I would bring it to the attention of your ophthalmologist. Good luck .
My surgeon told me that not everyone needs toric, either, depending upon the nature of the astigmatism. He told me that a lot of my astigmatism is coming from a defect in the lens itself and not much from corneal misshaping. I agree, too, that discussing with the surgeon/opthamologist is the best course and mentioning the interactions with the coordinator.

I had cataract surgery about 5yrs ago. I'm 77. I had left eye set for arms length focus and my right eye , which is my master eye set for distance. I no longer need glasses for anything but the very very finest of print. i.e. I can see all camera related, menu's etc without the slightest problem.
I would certainly advice anyone, that while they have the chance to go without glasses for 99.9% of the time to take it.🥸!!

My cataract surgery followed that for detached retina. Very similar for the patient. Once the eye Is numbed you feel nothing. i think it was 10 minutes for the anaesthetic to numb everything l ten minutes for the op then 10 minutes wait for a cup of tea and a cheese sandwich. You’ll be fine.

Exactly my feeling! I plan t speak with my ophthalmologist.

My cataract surgery followed that for detached retina. Very similar for the patient. Once the eye Is numbed you feel nothing. i think it was 10 minutes for the anaesthetic to numb everything l ten minutes for the op then 10 minutes wait for a cup of tea and a cheese sandwich. You’ll be fine.
Thank you!

Back