Catenary on Ice

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

StarTracker50

Supporting Member
Marketplace
The Arch in St. Louis has always fascinated me. Designed by the Finnish-American architect Eero Saarinnen in 1947. Building was started in 1963, and completed in 1965. It is a Reverse Catenary (the shape a chain would take if hung from two points) and therefore incredibly stable and strong. Yet, the top of the Arch can sway several FEET in the storm winds of St. Louis. At the time of this picture there was ~1 foot of snow on the ground. Those were the days I would lay on my stomach in freezing snow to get the picture!
Pentax Spotmatic. Front mounted Full-Frame Fish eye Lens. Kodachrome 25. Settings unknown.
Catenary on Ice 198102 3rd. 198103 5th. Salon 198102 Enhanced.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Great shot….Been there… Wife actually went through it and says she was scared to death.

Great shot….Been there… Wife actually went through it and says she was scared to death.
Thank you! Funny story: My Bride and I have been up in it several times. One time we took my cousin and her kids. Well the little girl was in diapers and decided to poop when we were in the TINY elevator just starting to come down. They are just seats that rotate horizontally slightly as you get to the curved bits. Needless to say we almost died with the "pong." Boy, were we glad when we finally made it to the bottom!

Back