Cave Point

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

JAS

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Cave Point County Park is a small, free access county park on the Lake Michigan side of the Door County Peninsula, Wisconsin. The site in known for the exposed rock formations and wide open view of Lake Michigan. The formations are dolomite rock from the Silurian period - 410-435M years ago. This rock formation extends across the lake, through Michigan and into Canada ending at the more well known Niagara Falls. The park is contained within the Whitefish Dunes State Park - the largest set of dunes remaining on the western shore of Lake Michigan

Cave Point is one of the more popular year round photography points on the Wisconsin side of the lake particularly for sunrises and stormy weather and fall colors. We visited on 21 April and here are a few shots. It was a calm day with crystal clear water. Shot 4 is a stylized processing of the crystal clear water, reflections and rocky bottom.

CavePoint_01.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

CavePoint_02.jpg

CavePoint_03.jpg

CavePoint_05.jpg

CavePoint_06.jpg

CavePoint_04.jpg

Nice set, lovely place. Looks like it would make for a nice swimming hole in the summer.
It is a lovely spot, though usually on the cold side. Facing the open lake water temps will mostly be in the 40F/5C range right now and, depending on the wind direction, summertime temps can be at 70F/21C. Midway across the lake the depth is greater than 800ft/244m so there is always cold water nearby.

Last edited:
It is a lovely spot, though usually on the cold side. Facing the open lake water temps will mostly be in the 40F/5C range right now and, depending on the wind direction, summertime temps can be at 70F/21C. Midway across the lake the depth is greater than 800ft/244m so there is always cold water nearby.
That kind of cold water is best in southern states like Texas and Florida, where the sun can warm you up quick. ;)

beautiful place, Joe, the water color is inviting and lovely, but not to touch. I love the trees clinging to the rocks like lonely sentinels!

Great set, Joe. These establish a benchmark for Crystal Clear. Mind if I ask if you used a Polorizing Filter? Nice job.
Hi there. No polarizing filter was used. The water is that clear. Vis will decline as Spring arrives and the algae blooms cloud the water.
In Lake Superior, which is colder and deeper, you can see bottom in 25-30 feet of water in many places.

half dozen very nice images, congrats. I can't recall when I last used f11
Thank you for the positive comment.. I was just looking for an exposure combimnation that would provide good DoF with low ISO, and adequate shutter speed . There are other combos that would have worked but this is what ended up at without particularly dep thought on the topic.

Last edited:
Thank you for the positive comment.. I was just looking for an exposure combimnation that would provide good DoF with low ISO, and adequate shutter speed . There are other combos that would have worked but this is what Iended up at without particula.rly dep tho.ught on the topic.

Yes Sir, I totally understood why you used that combination.
I was just pondering to myself - I don't do any of that photography these days, I need to give it a go soon.

Reactions: JAS
Thank you. I too like the detail and the view. I would like to get a few more shots on a future visit to try other options.
Frequently, there is significant wave action. The waves crash into the bluff with earth-shaking power and sound reminiscent of sonic booms. Lots of opportunities for angry wave photos.

Cave Point County Park is a small, free access county park on the Lake Michigan side of the Door County Peninsula, Wisconsin. The site in known for the exposed rock formations and wide open view of Lake Michigan. The formations are dolomite rock from the Silurian period - 410-435M years ago. This rock formation extends across the lake, through Michigan and into Canada ending at the more well known Niagara Falls. The park is contained within the Whitefish Dunes State Park - the largest set of dunes remaining on the western shore of Lake Michigan

Cave Point is one of the more popular year round photography points on the Wisconsin side of the lake particularly for sunrises and stormy weather and fall colors. We visited on 21 April and here are a few shots. It was a calm day with crystal clear water. Shot 4 is a stylized processing of the crystal clear water, reflections and rocky bottom.

View attachment 87420
View attachment 87421

View attachment 87422

View attachment 87423

View attachment 87424
View attachment 87425
Beautiful!

Back