Cedar Waxwing

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Caught these two while visiting Bombay Hook NWR yesterday.

Bombay Hook-0601-238-NIKON Z 9-Edit.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
Bombay Hook-0601-258-NIKON Z 9-Edit.jpg

Bombay Hook-0601-240-NIKON Z 9-Edit.jpg

Beautiful birds captured in very nice light!

I love the action in the third shot and good job maintaining enough DoF to keep both sets of eyes reasonably sharp in that first image.

If these are crops I might loosen up a bit and give the birds a bit more breathing room in the frame and move them a bit further off center in the process, especially for the second and third shots as the first image balances a bit better with the pair of birds looking different directions.

Have you played with a very subtle vignette (edge darkening) to help contain the viewer's eyes with that bright background? The trick is to just add a touch of edge darkening but not so much it's obvious to the viewers.

Nice series and great subjects well captured.

I really like the photos in general - well done on the lighting and capturing some great catch-lights in the eyes. It's fantastic that you were able to get close enough that a 400 + TC was able to be frame filling.

I'd love the first one if the tail of the foreground bird wasn't cut off and the darn OOF leaf wasn't blocking the background bird. Not much you can do about it.

Really nice captures. Love the solo shot where the bird is mid hop. I really like the lighting and color. I've struggled getting any decent shots of Cedar Waxwings. They always are a bit too high up to get a good composition. Really nice job here.

Back