CFExpress B Speed Shenanigans

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

By any chance did you set your camera down in the sun (ie. next to you in a car, etc)? I also got one once with my Z8 and Delkin black cards (but was shooting video). Since only a warning, I didn't stop but covered the camera when not in use with something and the camera never shut off (I was waiting for a leopard to descend from a tree).
No. I did not set the camera down at any time. I was carrying it with a Peak Design slide strap attached with QR connector to the lens foot. I was not even in direct sunlight for very long, since there were trees and shrubs that shaded me most of the time. I probably could have kept shooting, without any issues (I'll never know for sure) but I was so surprised by the hot card warning that I wanted to check on the card ASAP. My only concern is that where I live (Southern California) 83-84 degrees is not very hot; it can easily get to the high 90's and low 100's.

The Delkin Black 325GB card is my go to card when shooting my Z8. I only shoot stills, so size of card is no problem. I have not had any problems so far.

I know this card is supposed to run cool, but I had an interesting event happen last week. I was shooting in 83F-84F weather for a few hours. Shooting short bursts of 20fps Raw lossless compressed to only the Delkin Black card with no card in slot 2, with a fair amount of time between bursts.

I got a hot card warning, which is the first time I have had this happen. I immediately turned the camera off, and pulled the card. The weird thing is that the card was not hot to the touch, it was at most very mildly warm. Now, the camera and lens (180-600) were both fairly warm to the touch, but I did not get a hot camera warning, I got a hot card warning.

Despite the hot card warning, I would still use the Delkin Black.
I suspect that Nikon has lowered the thresholds for thermal warning on the Z8.

For reference, I’ve shot continual 20 fps bursts on hot days this week on my Z8 with Delkin Black and Silicon Power CFe cards with no warning at all. I use HE* raw format instead of lossless compressed.

I suspect that Nikon has lowered the thresholds for thermal warning on the Z8.

For reference, I’ve shot continual 20 fps bursts on hot days this week on my Z8 with Delkin Black and Silicon Power CFe cards with no warning at all. I use HE* raw format instead of lossless compressed.
That could be. I'm not that concerned about it. If it happens again, I think I'll just keep shooting and see what happens.

Ok I am confused again about Delkin, or is just BH has it wrong. Why is the G4 Min Write speed higher?
1713535081173.png

1713535009291.png

Attachments

• 1713534974420.png
    1713534974420.png
    260.6 KB · Views: 8
I use both Angelbird and Delkin. Last week I had my Delkin fail on me and the company was exceedingly quick and efficient in their response. I got a new card in the mail in two days! I don't know what's best and assume that is dependent on a few factors, but if you find good customer service, that's something to hang onto.

I need a new larger card for my new Z8. Doesn't have to be the absolute fastest but I do not want it to bottleneck my Z8 either. Nothing sick more than having a card full of images fail so I'd rank reliability over speed as well. I know that CFExpress 4.0 is not going to have any effect in camera because no camera has that interface yet. I have a pair of Delkin Power 128GB Cards that I used regularly in my D500. I know better than to even bother with the "maximum" write speed when comparing cards, but I am also seeing some cards that say "sustained" and some "minimum sustained." any difference in the nomenclature? For instance:

Hoodman Steel 512GB Sustained Write 1050 MB/s $169.99
Hoodman Steel 1TB Sustained Write 1650 MB/s $299.99
Delkin Power 1TB Sustained Write 1490 MB/s $299
Delkin Power 512GB Sustained Write 805 MB/s $175
ProGrade Gold 512GB Min. Sustained Write 850 MB/s 169.99
ProGrade Gold 1TB Min. Sustained Write 1500 MB/s 297.49

I left off the Delkin black and ProGrade Cobalt. Not sure what you are paying nearly twice the price for on those cards. Anyone have any experience with the Hoodman cards?

Finally, as a matter of practicality, among and between these cards does it even really matter as long as I avoid the ones that write in the 800's MB/s?
I've used Angelbird and OWC Work just fine..

Max read/writes are only achievable when the SSD is directly connected to a computer with a PCIe latest and greatest 4 channel to communication with channels. I doubt that either Z9 or Z8 was designed with a processor that talks to communicate with their storage devices. Today's generation of cameras, will happily work with any speed of card made today and for the foreseeable future. Moving the data onto a platform, comes down to the combination of hardware in between the card and the computer you have to work with. Frankly, what frustrates me is the time it takes culling...

STARTING with the 650GB size, apparently. if you look at the 512GB and below, they are substantially slower.
In addition to the slower speed of 512GB Delkin Power cards, they are materially cheaper per GB. It's a choice as to whether you need fastest speed or lower price.

With the Delkin Black, you get fastest speed, but you also get a more robust physical card and 48 hour replacement. Both features can make a difference with professional use or critical use.

Delkin's customer service is very good - much more responsive than most others.

Back