CFexpress card has become corrupted

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Yes I was able to recover the files using Sony provided software code they gave with the instructions for the card. Sony has a 5 year warranty on these cards and I have my receipt from Sony approved seller. I reformatted the card and took a couple of images with it for some around the house tasks. No problem....so, trust or ask them to replace it? Since I have 5 years, I am thinking I will use it for a while and see what happens. I don't think I will trust it on trip shoot. Sadly, these are the high speed cards needed for 30 fps. I have another Type A for this. I can stick an SD card in the other slot.
If you can't trust the card for a trip shoot, why have it? It's just another worry you don't need when out on a photo shoot.

The real effect of a card failure vs a camera failure is often how the failure presents. With a camera failure, you likely (but not always) know about it immediately, and can take remediation steps. With a card failure, you likely (but not always) find out after it's too late to effect a remedy.

If your camera was under warranty, and it had failed on you, what would you do?

Were it me, the card would go back.

$0.02.

It also raises the question of whether to write to 2 cards. A lot of folks here say no because it increases the write time, but in this case I'm not so sure. Depends on the subject I guess.

Yes I was able to recover the files using Sony provided software code they gave with the instructions for the card. Sony has a 5 year warranty on these cards and I have my receipt from Sony approved seller. I reformatted the card and took a couple of images with it for some around the house tasks. No problem....so, trust or ask them to replace it? Since I have 5 years, I am thinking I will use it for a while and see what happens. I don't think I will trust it on trip shoot. Sadly, these are the high speed cards needed for 30 fps. I have another Type A for this. I can stick an SD card in the other slot.
I would get them to warranty it. I wouldn't trust it.

Eric you were right. I have experimented more and using the USB cable from my camera, photos were downloaded to LRC without a problem. I put the card back in the reader and it couldn't recognize 3 photos, but 2 it did. Then I took it out, put it in again and LRC wouldn't even recognized the reader. So it was not a Lexar problem.
The reader I bought was from Amazon and cost more than some. Can't see a name on it. Any recommendations for a good card reader?
I purchased the Lexar card reader specifically for the CFexpress and haven't had a problem with it so far. Reminds me of when I got my first multi-card reader (came with the purchase of a camera) and didn't have it for very long and suddenly LR couldn't read the card. My husband happened to have another USB cable to connect to the reader. It's been working great so far and I've had it for four years now.

I've only had my CFexpress card for less than a year and probably only had less than 4000 photos on it. It's been in my D850 and recently some of the photos won't load in LRC with a message saying the files are unsupported or corrupted. I have tried reformatting several time but still the same problem. The I reformatted it in my D5 and still get the same errors. Is there any fix for this or do I have to shell out for new card?
I know you probably know this but there are 2 types of formating of cards.
First only re-writes the directory and the long one re-formats the whole card...🦘

I hope you'll let us know the specific card brand, model and size you were using. It's pretty uncommon for a card to be corrupted. The camera normally gives an error to stop you from continuing to shoot if there is an issue. There are a lot of sources of error outside the card such as the reader, the cable, and even the ingest software if it is an older product and not updated for CFExpress. I remember the older Nikon Transfer products were particularly problematic and could cause corruption.

There is software that can do a deep reformat on the card. After that, you should also reformat in your D850 before use in that camera.

We've had some cases where card companies have replaced cards under warranty and simply ask that you send the corrupt card to them so they can assess the problem and potential causes.
Agree, send it back to the manufacturer is the best option, warranty or no warranty.

I am certainly sorry for anyone that loses work due to camera, card or computer failures. My experience with digital memory cards has been good. I have a pair of ProGrade Cobalt 325 GB cards, also two Delkin Power 512 and two Delkin Power 128 GB CF Express cards. Over a year of use in my Z9 shooting mammals and wildlife without any problems. I have other Delkin Power, ScanDisk Extreme and ProGrade Gold CF cards. No problems except the Gold card is very slow when I shoot bursts. I have seven XQD cards left over from my DSLRs I still use these in my Z7 ii and Z6 ii as a back-up card for studio and fashion work where cards speed is not important. The XQD cards are paired with Lexar Professional 128 GB SD HC II V90 cards. I have quite a few SD XC I V30 cards, mostly ScanDisk Extreme. All continue to work well with no read issues.I'm not sure what the failure rate for any of these cards is overall but I expect it is quite low, but not zero. It is probably time for me to consider retiring some of the older SD and XQD cards,

Eric you were right. I have experimented more and using the USB cable from my camera, photos were downloaded to LRC without a problem. I put the card back in the reader and it couldn't recognize 3 photos, but 2 it did. Then I took it out, put it in again and LRC wouldn't even recognized the reader. So it was not a Lexar problem.
The reader I bought was from Amazon and cost more than some. Can't see a name on it. Any recommendations for a good card reader?
I try to never by anything electronic from AMAZON unless I know who the seller is. Here are two articles as I'm familiar with the first one.

Federal regulators sue Amazon over firm’s refusal to recall dangerous products
Don’t make these 5 big mistakes when buying electronics on Amazon

I had to read to the end of the string but I bought the same card with a Lexar reader and started having corruption immediately with the odd file, ran virus checks and even repaired the windows. I returned the reader as it was only a few days old the cfexpress card Lexar Pro 6700, 128gb. I could read the card with the camera and export it. Was using a usb 2.0 hub and a windows pc to backup. I lost nothing as the cfexpress was ok and even reformatted it with out repeating the same corruption. The card is formatted as exfat with the pc and reformatted in the Nikon Z8. I have ordered a cheaper reader from Amazon and i will follow up and let you know if things improve. The camera store recommended the Delkin but read the remarks for everything. The problem with the rating remarks is that they are corrupt and the suppliers are corrupt. I have noticed that tests differ and the advertised speed is never what they say. Live and learn but more information is needed to explain that using usb type c with usb type 2.0 and drivers and firmware and new cameras then there is something bound to go wrong. Oh and I'm building something wonderful and need to have everything working before I backpack around the world. I have this all hooked into something called a ACASIS hub with Kingston NV2 2TB M.2 2280 NVMe. I have learned a lot from this project and the problems with corruption with usb 3.0-3.2. If you understand that images are partially cached and reliant on transfer rates, filtering and firmware. We are at the mercy of the manufactures as technology leaps ahead. The rule of thumb here is if it dont work try another brand.
Oh by the way I have no problems with my Lexar XQD which is now like ten years old and bought with my D500.

Back