CFExpress v4

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

The next gen standard.....

"... includes low standby power through NVMe PS0 — PS4 support to ensure longevity, a metal enclosure for improved durability and heat dissipation, thermal throttling to protect the card from overheating, and robust quality control."

yah, it’ll be interesting to see when we have cameras that support it. folks should know if your camera doesn’t support it that the cards will perform similar to the current generation of cards, like maybe similar to a current prograde cobalt

yah, it’ll be interesting to see when we have cameras that support it. folks should know if your camera doesn’t support it that the cards will perform similar to the current generation of cards, like maybe similar to a current prograde cobalt

I wonder if the benefit is more about heat management than absolute speed.

Got to assume the Mk2 A1 and R5 and the R1? There is also the R5C that's really hard on cards now.

It certainly may have heat benefits for current cameras. FWIW, Thom made this suggestion when I made a similar comment on his post. however the real benefit is going to be with CFE-B 4.0 capable cameras.

Yah, you got to wonder which cameras will have CFE-B. Certainly the A1ii, R1 seem semi likely. It also makes me wonder if an Z9ii is more likely sooner than later. previously i wasn't expecting one for a fair while, but i could see them doing a Z9s type thing with CFE-B 4.0 for the upcoming olympics (and i for one would be interested).

Of course there is a remote chance that some cameras could be 4.0 capable with a firmware upgrade, but they'd have to have the hardware in place already, and that seems pretty unlikely.

Are we sure the Z 8/9 arent already built using the PCIE gen 4 spec? It was introduced in 2017. It will be interesting to see the new cards tested in a Z9.

Are we sure the Z 8/9 arent already built using the PCIE gen 4 spec? It was introduced in 2017. It will be interesting to see the new cards tested in a Z9.
no, we certainly aren't sure. it certainly would be technically possible, however i also think we probably shouldn't get our hopes up, either.

as an aside, i have tested a sabrent rocket 2230 which is nvme4, with a cfe-b adapter in the z9 AND a pci adapter on a PCI3 equipped PC and certainly got PCI3 speeds. of course, there could be a needed FW component, but my GUESS is the z9 is PCI3 based

that said, the advent of cfe-b v4.0 certainly fits nicely with the architecture they put together around the nikon expeed7 which is to say, reply on storage speed instead of buffering

this also pushes off the need to go directly to in-board nvme for another generation

as an aside, i have tested a sabrent rocket 2230 which is nvme4, with a cfe-b adapter in the z9 AND a pci adapter on a PCI3 equipped PC and certainly got PCI3 speeds. of course, there could be a needed FW component, but my GUESS is the z9 is PCI3 based
Ive tested that same setup in my z9 and it wont sustain 8k 60 raw recording. I think whatever protocol those adapters are using is less than optimal. The adapters are likely using the gen 3 standard regardless of what they say lol

even if the z9 is gen 3 it will likely get a speed increase with the new cards as the cards seem to be the bottlneck and are reaching nowhere near true gen 3 speeds.

Ive tested that same setup in my z9 and it wont sustain 8k 60 raw recording. I think whatever protocol those adapters are using is less than optimal. The adapters are likely using the gen 3 standard regardless of what they say lol
it's possible. since they are physical only adapters (no electronics) it would mean there was a subtle pinout difference which is possible, although i suspect it does not. afaik, the primary difference is clock speed. ie, it still runs two lanes, it simply runs faster on those two lanes. dunno.

even if the z9 is gen 3 it will likely get a speed increase with the new cards as the cards seem to be the bottlneck and are reaching nowhere near true gen 3 speeds.
i had done some testing of nvme4 cards on pci3 hoping to see a performance increase and i did not actually observe it. i suspect these new cards will probably have similar performance to current high end offerings like their current cobalt model in existing cameras and not, like i had hoped, close to maximum theoretical.

but i'd love to be wrong

Back