If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

marc

From an amazing successful hunt* by Cheetah Mum Namunyak after waiting 6 days for the perfect hunting strategy, my guide Martin and I also waited patiently for 3 days to capture the whole drama that took 30+ mins to finally subdue this big male and not before it regained consciousness and rose up many times before it was finally subdued.
(Will post from that sequence later)
Mum and her two 5 mth old cubs dined well this day.
Naboisho Conservancy, Mara- Kenya.

*I've shot probably over 100+ Cheetah hunts and this is now my 9th or 10th time capturing a Cheetah hunt sequence with my Z9/20fps and oddly enough just as Mum tripped up this big Ram sending him into the path of a med size bush culminating in a dramatic catapult and flip, my Z9 missed 4 or 5 frames twice in between regaining AF (so it regained AF each time in 1/5s) and yet Martin ( my video rookie:LOL:) shooting with video on my other Z9/70-200 didn't miss a beat! o_O :D:D ...........Totally blown away by how good the video AF is. (y)
I'll post the video/link later in the Video forum.

Symmetry in their stride

Nikon Z9
Nikkor Z400 TC f/2.8
1/3200s
f/6.3
-0.67EV
ISO720
(For ALL shots)

Z9B_7994BPN.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Z9B_7997BPN.jpg

Z9/Z400TC misses AF! :censored:

Z9B_8018BPN.jpg

Regains AF just as Mum is about to implement her classic ankle tap & trip manoeuvre!

Z9B_8023BPN.jpg

Misses AF again , (as the Ram is about to clip that bush) although my target is moving away from the focal plane, it still should not present an issue for the Z9, (granted good AF technique).

Z9B_8029BPN.jpg

Regains AF as the Impala Ram is sent into a catapulting flip.

Z9B_8033BPN.jpg

AF is fine here despite the blocking tree.

Z9B_8038BPN.jpg

From here on in, the AF didn't miss a beat. Not a criticism I guess, just an observation.

Z9B_8041BPN.jpg

Cheers
Marc

Last edited:
From an amazing successful hunt* by Cheetah Mum Namunyak after waiting 6 days for the perfect hunting strategy, my guide Martin and I also waited patiently for 3 days to capture the whole drama that took 30+ mins to finally subdue this big male and not before it regained consciousness and rose up many times before it was finally subdued.

*I've shot probably over 100+ Cheetah hunts and this is now my 9th or 10th time capturing a Cheetah hunt sequence with my Z9/20fps and oddly enough just as Mum tripped up this big Ram sending him into the path of a med size bush culminating in a dramatic catapult and flip, my Z9 missed 4 or 5 frames twice in between regaining AF (so it regained AF each time in 1/5s) and yet Martin ( my video rookie:LOL:) shooting with video on my other Z9/70-200 didn't miss a beat! o_O :D:D ...........Totally blown away by how good the video AF is. (y)

Symmetry in their stride

Nikon Z9
Nikkor Z400 TC f/2.8
1/3200s
f/6.3
-0.67EV
ISO720
(For ALL shots)

View attachment 86766

View attachment 86767

Z9/Z400TC misses AF!

View attachment 86770

Regains AF just as Mum is about to implement her classic ankle tap & trip manoeuvre!

View attachment 86769

Misses AF again , (as the Ram is about to clip that bush) although my target is moving away from the focal plane, it still should not present an issue for the Z9, (granted good AF technique).

View attachment 86771

View attachment 86772

View attachment 86773

From here on in, the AF didn't miss a beat. Not a criticism I guess, just an observation.

View attachment 86774

Cheers
Marc
Fantastic sequence of images Marc.
Happy trails.

Symmetry in their stride

Nikon Z9
Nikkor Z400 TC f/2.8
1/3200s
f/6.3
-0.67EV
ISO720
(For ALL shots)

View attachment 86766

View attachment 86767

Z9/Z400TC misses AF!

View attachment 86770

View attachment 86769

View attachment 86771

View attachment 86772

View attachment 86773

View attachment 86774

Cheers
Marc
WOW! Spectacular shots Marc. Very exciting sequence! That should get the heart pumping. 👍👍👍

Some awesome shots, sir! Great work. And I 'chuckled' with pain at your AF turning on you at the wrong moment! Definitely a 21st C photography issue :)

Quite incredible. What are the techniques you developed for capturing these scenes. Have you used Auto AF or one of the smaller zones, or handover to 3D. The only chase I tried to get was a lion and I made a mess out of it between the speed and the dust...
Thanks @freddd

For this sequence I used BBAF ( for 20 yrs now) AF-ON (only) then cycle to Wide Custom1 (1x1px) with 3D hand over, (Animal SD only), I find the old fashioned sing pt (and cycle between WC1 1x1 ) still rules where you have subjects in/out of grassland/vegetation. (For Birds, Auto Area AF works a treat for most BIF situations)
and for my other Z9 &70-200 using video it was in AF-F Auto Area.

Last edited:
For those interested, I've just posted the chase/take down sequence in Slow Motion over in the video forum.