Christman Tree Worms - "Tis the Season

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

JAS

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I likely posted these photos in the past. However, with the Holiday Season upon us, here they are again.
These pretty littlre creatures are called Christmas Tree Worms for obvious reasons. They are small, with the visible end less than 1 inch long. These are the gills/feeding end of the worm which is burrowed into the coral. The photos were taken in the Red Sea near Jeddah Saudi Arabia in 2013-2014.
Umnfortunately, I am no longer able to dive but I have several thousand wonderful photo memories to look through when I feel the need.
Happy Holiday Season to all!
CTWorms01.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

CTWorms02.jpg

CTWorms03.jpg

Outstanding images, Joe! Under water photography is very difficult (.....to do it well as you surely know!) but is extremely rewarding! I, too, miss experiencing the fascinating world under the water's surface! Please share more images!

Reactions: JAS
Outstanding images, Joe! Under water photography is very difficult (.....to do it well as you surely know!) but is extremely rewarding! I, too, miss experiencing the fascinating world under the water's surface! Please share more images!
Thank you. I am "cleaning up my 10,000 photo catalog from about 550 dives. Many photos will be appropriately deleted and I will share some of the better ones as I find them! The end goal is a photo book or two and postings to an online portfolio - being built.
All part of cleaning up the 70,000 image catalog plus the hard copy family photos going back to the 1880's!

Lovely. Nice shots. When I had coal reef aquariums in the past I had Christmas Tree 'rocks' with colonies of these beauties.

Nice pictures. They bring back memories as I did a few hundred dives in the Red Sea off Jeddah in the late 1980's and early 1990's. Had a lot of fun with my Nikonos V!
The diving around Jeddah was beautiful and easy. I miss it, but can no longer dive for medical reasons. I do have the photos and am preparing a book or two of my "best" shots. Never got to dive with a Nikonos or other film camera. Digital made it so easy!

The visibility was terrific in the Red Sea and living on the coast made it easy. I am still in the process of digitalising my slides. Very gradual process! Speaking with diving with film cameras, I took a PADI Underwater Photography course while in Jeddah. The instructor was very good and used a pair of housed Rollieflex TLRs. That was serious gear...

Wonderful photos! Thank you for posting, I can't wait to see what other images you might post as you work through your collections.

I had never considered the Red Sea as a diving destination - what makes it special vs other diving spots that seem more frequently mentioned? Would love your perspective, given your experience there!

Back