Churchill for bird photography in June: in for a penny in for a pound

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

GrandNagus50

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Back in 1986, my father and I went to Churchill in Manitoba for birding. He led a group with Atlanta Audubon and I was his assistant. It was a great trip, even though we took the train from Winnipeg to Churchill and back, an excrutiating experience. Now, decades later, I will take my (grown) son with me to Churchill in June as participants on Glenn Bartley's photo workshop there. There are known issues with Churchill in June, most notably hordes of voracious biting insects (that's what breeding birds eat; live with it). But after signing up for the trip I discovered some issues I had not fully thought about. First, the round trip airfare from Winnipeg to Churchill is eye-poppingly high. Associated with this is the reality that the departure and arrival times in Winnipeg necessitate staying extra nights at an airport hotel twice. And finally, chest waders are apparently a "must" for this trip. Glenn says everyone who participates brings them.

To paraphrase the late Senator from Illinois Everett Dirksen, a few hundred here, a few hundred there, and pretty soon you're talking real money.

Ok, enough carping. I have an actual question here. Has anyone photographed using chest waders, and if so, can you offer any buying advice? I want to be comfortable out on the tundra so maybe I won't go for the very cheapest alternative, but the truth is I very likely will never use these chest waders again. I know there are designs that include footwear, and also "stocking foot" designs that require that you also purchase/use some kind of waterproof footwear. Also, it seems that the sizing of stocking foot chest waders, especially cheaper ones, is kind of crude: if you are size "medium" overall the shoe/foot size you get may be too small. My shoe size is 12, and so it seems I would need a "large," which would fit me like a balloon.

Any advice or experiences to share? Thank you!

Doug Greenberg

Last edited:
I have used chest waders for photography (and for fly fishing). Breathable (Goretex like fabric) waders are comfortable. Non-breathable waders will be miserable in heat + humidity. Breathable chest waders are at least close to $200 US, plus wading boots (recommend not getting felt soles).

I’ve been to Churchill for Polar Bears, but not for birds in the Summer. Hope you’ll post a few images here when you return home.

Back in 1986, my father and I went to Churchill in Manitoba for birding. He led a group with Atlanta Audubon and I was his assistant. It was a great trip, even though we took the train from Winnipeg to Churchill and back, an excrutiating experience. Now, decades later, I will take my (grown) son with me to Churchill in June as participants on Glenn Bartley's photo workshop there. There are known issues with Churchill in June, most notably hordes of voracious biting insects (that's what breeding birds eat; live with it). But after signing up for the trip I discovered some issues I had not fully thought about. First, the round trip airfare from Winnipeg to Churchill is eye-poppingly high. Associated with this is the reality that the departure and arrival times in Winnipeg necessitate staying extra nights at an airport hotel twice. And finally, chest waders are apparently a "must" for this trip. Glenn says everyone who participates brings them.

To paraphrase the late Senator from Illinois Everett Dirksen, a few hundred here, a few hundred there, and pretty soon you're talking real money.

Ok, enough carping. I have an actual question here. Has anyone photographed using chest waders, and if so, can you offer any buying advice? I want to be comfortable out on the tundra so maybe I won't go for the very cheapest alternative, but the truth is I very likely will never use these chest waders again. I know there are designs that include footwear, and also "stocking foot" designs that require that you also purchase/use some kind of waterproof footwear. Also, it seems that the sizing of stocking foot chest waders, especially cheaper ones, is kind of crude: if you are size "medium" overall the shoe/foot size you get may be too small. My shoe size is 12, and so it seems I would need a "large," which would fit me like a balloon.

Doug Greenberg
Sounds like you may be walking around in water. I’ve spent a few hours in chest waders walking in knee-deep+ water. It can be very treacherous since you can’t see the bottom usually. I’d highly recommend at least one hiking stick to “feel” your way along. It would be a bad day to go Swimming with your camera.

I shoot in waders quite a bit. DO NOT get PVC/neoprene waders. They cling to you and you can't bend knees, squat down, etc. Frogg Toggs makes good inexpensive ones. Some have integral boots. They sell them in our Costco up here. If you'll never need them again you might be able to sell them on Craigslist/FB Marketplace after the trip. A pair of boots to go with them can cost as much/more than the waders but don't necessarily have to.

It may sound like overkill but waders are the best choice for shooting in the high north. They double as rain pants, you can cross creeks, wade into ponds for low shooting angles, lie down on the wet tundra, etc. Unfortunately they're not bear proof :confused:

You'll want to consider what you're wearing under the waders, including on your feet, re staying warm while standing in Churchill in June (cold!) water. And I assume the 'live with it' re the bugs means you'll be taking bug netting; think about gloves for that purpose, as well. I've literally been unable to photograph because the biting insects swarm my hands the moment my hands were holding the gear and not being used to swat the bugs away. Have a great trip!

Yes, "live with it" includes preparation when it comes to the insane insect activity around Churchill in June. I actually prepared for mosquitoes this past early June when I went to Nome, but I lucked out because the snowmelt was late and there were precious few of the little bloodsuckers. I brought a headnet, those thin mosquito protection gloves, lots of picaridin, and layered clothing to protect against bites. So I suppose I already have what I need for Churchill in that regard.

On a serious note, I feel obliged to add that when it comes to insects, one might not wish that they would just 'disappear'. I just came back from Puerto Rico, where the insect populations have crashed precipitously in recent years, and with them, some bird populations. Climate change is the presumed culprit. Scary times.

Yes, "live with it" includes preparation when it comes to the insane insect activity around Churchill in June. I actually prepared for mosquitoes this past early June when I went to Nome, but I lucked out because the snowmelt was late and there were precious few of the little bloodsuckers. I brought a headnet, those thin mosquito protection gloves, lots of picaridin, and layered clothing to protect against bites. So I suppose I already have what I need for Churchill in that regard.

On a serious note, I feel obliged to add that when it comes to insects, one might not wish that they would just 'disappear'. I just came back from Puerto Rico, where the insect populations have crashed precipitously in recent years, and with them, some bird populations. Climate change is the presumed culprit. Scary times.
Yup, I'm actually a big fan of seeing lots of bugs re health of a natural spot in the world; also alarmed by the sheer lack of them often, these days!

There are several pieces of advice here I agree with, based on my limited experience with waders. One, consider what clothes you will need underneath them when you try them on. Two, getting waders that are flexible and allow easy movement is preferable. When I was whitewater rafting a lot, I had a dry suit and it was vastly superior to a neoprene wetsuit. Maybe there are waders made similarly. Three, footgear is important. I've worn waders that I did not think gave me good footing. Having footgear that went over the waders I was using was better for me. lastly, a hiking pole or two is important. I have almost fallen in many times, especially if the bottom isn't visible. That is almost always the case. It's easy to trip. It just depends how much movement in the water you will be doing. Maybe your tripod can help with stabilizing as you move around. But I've seen some really nice very foldable hiking poles that could be helpful.

Another question to ask is whether you will need chest high or leg waders. The trip operator may be able to clarify.

You might only be in knee or at most low thigh water. Or mostly soggy terrain with occasional passage through areas that are a little deeper.

The mosquitoes would scare me more. I went to northern Norway and Lapland years ago and my orange tent was black on the side out of the wind.

Glenn Bartley is very explicit that what is needed is chest waders. But yes, the mosquitoes (and black flies and midges and no-see-ums). When I went to Churchill back in 1986 and was all outfitted against these biters I recall feeling like I was in a space suit. One prays for wind.

You may know or have been told this already -- with waders instead of hip boots is to always wear a belt on the outside of the waders -- without a belt both the legs and body can fill with water if you fall and it will be extremely hard to get up without help.

So I was in Churchill a few years ago in June and had a wonderful trip. Glenn and I are friends and he was very helpful in my pre trip planning and definitely knows the place well. If he tells you to do something you should absolutely do it. I've spent a LOT of time in the far north in both Canada and Alaska and have lived in chest waders for weeks at a time. My number one bit of advice is be willing to spend the money for a good pair............you'll end up spending hours and hours in them and you want to be both warm and comfortable. In fact you're likely to wear them all day, every day you are there. I highly recommend Simms. Very comfortable, high quality, breathable, etc., etc. Get the ones with stocking feet and separate boots. You're also likely to do a fair bit of walking and this is where the individual boots are an advantage IMHO. I'd also say you may find you enjoy using them so much you'll find other trips or your local spots where they'll come in handy so may not be just a one time use/purchase.

I was there in June 2017 and never needed to use the chest waders I bought specifically for the trip. That was the year the train tracks washed out in the heavy spring melt. Had the train all booked but got a refund and ended up flying. By the end of June it was unusually dry on the tundra and the wanders weren't needed. That was just pure sh*t luck though. and I wouldn't count on that ever happening again. Because it was dry the mosquitoes were mostly not horrendous, but definitely bad. I brought a box of disposable latex gloves and they worked for me and my friends. They are a little sweaty to wear but they stopped the bugs from biting and they are thin enough that you can easily feel all the buttons on your camera. Oh ya, I also used a bug jacket with a full head screen. It was a great trip.

Doug Greenberg
have a fun trip. i learnt about this trip in the past month and would love to hear about your experience! pics much appreciated :)

I was in Churchill this past early august not so much for birds which were scarce. The bugs were also very light and the locals indicated that the insects had been unusually light that summer. Just thought I would share that experience but as we know it can be completely different for next June. Also Churchill is very expensive and has very limited offerings for restaurants and lodging. Make sure you check you arrival and departure dates with what restaurants will be open. We came in and everything was closed for that day and the next. The grocery store opened at noon and microwave meals were $20 each. But then again everything comes by train (when it runs) , plane or boat (less likely)
The people were friendly and helpful but you will be in a remote location for sure.

Doug Greenberg
I was a flyfishing guide for several years and worked out of a local fly shop. I'd suggest you contact a shop near you (if there is one) and try to buy some used rental or client gear. Or even a guide's used pair of waders. There are many variations to this theme but, depending on the shop and the timing of your request, I think you stand a good chance of getting lucky.

I was a flyfishing guide for several years and worked out of a local fly shop. I'd suggest you contact a shop near you (if there is one) and try to buy some used rental or client gear. Or even a guide's used pair of waders. There are many variations to this theme but, depending on the shop and the timing of your request, I think you stand a good chance of getting lucky.

There actually is a fly fishing shop in nearby Albany (I live in Berkeley, CA) and also a bigger one in San Francisco. I certainly will check out the Albany store, as if they are able to help me out that is attractively convenient. I do have six months to get this arranged, so no hurry. I did notice that Patagonia makes a lightweight, packable set of chest waders that fits in a supplied stuffsack and comes in a whole lot of sizes. I remain curious about what the difference is between $500+ chest waders and those made by a company like Frog Toggs for half the price. Fewer available sizes is certainly one point. But I suspect that one also pays a premium for the prestige brands, including Patagonia, Simms, and Orvis.

There actually is a fly fishing shop in nearby Albany (I live in Berkeley, CA) and also a bigger one in San Francisco. I certainly will check out the Albany store, as if they are able to help me out that is attractively convenient. I do have six months to get this arranged, so no hurry. I did notice that Patagonia makes a lightweight, packable set of chest waders that fits in a supplied stuffsack and comes in a whole lot of sizes. I remain curious about what the difference is between $500+ chest waders and those made by a company like Frog Toggs for half the price. Fewer available sizes is certainly one point. But I suspect that one also pays a premium for the prestige brands, including Patagonia, Simms, and Orvis.
I definitely hear yah re brand = $ but when it comes to technical gear you really do get what you pay for in my experience; not to say you shouldn't hunt for that sweet spot where quality and price nicely come together :) Your challenge obviously is the likely one trip use of the gear, but still you'll be quite uncomfortable if the inexpensive waders provide no warmth or worse they leak -- that'll leave you warming in the motel instead of taking photographs :)

... I remain curious about what the difference is between $500+ chest waders and those made by a company like Frog Toggs for half the price...
I've got a pair of Frogg Toggs that I've been using for almost ten years. This year I finally noticed a small leak in one knee. Knee pads slipped one too many times while kneeling on barnacle covered rocks. Easily patched. But in all fairness I'm sure it's not cheap printing those high end logos on the others :rolleyes:

Hijacking my thread here very slightly: we will be flying between Winnipeg and Churchill via Calm Airlines, which indicates that there is a 20 pound limit on carry on items, including the personal item. I could fairly easily comply with this via taking my Olympus rig for bird and wildlife photography, but I might want to take Nikon gear on this trip because that is what my son shoots (he is coming along). This camera bag will likely be around 26 pounds or a bit more. Has anyone flown Calm to Churchill? Were there any glitches related to the amoung of carry on luggage? If it comes to paying an overweight fee, so be it, but even for a flight like this one I would really prefer NOT to have to place any of my camera gear in a checked bag.

Hijacking my thread here very slightly: we will be flying between Winnipeg and Churchill via Calm Airlines, which indicates that there is a 20 pound limit on carry on items, including the personal item. I could fairly easily comply with this via taking my Olympus rig for bird and wildlife photography, but I might want to take Nikon gear on this trip because that is what my son shoots (he is coming along). This camera bag will likely be around 26 pounds or a bit more. Has anyone flown Calm to Churchill? Were there any glitches related to the amoung of carry on luggage? If it comes to paying an overweight fee, so be it, but even for a flight like this one I would really prefer NOT to have to place any of my camera gear in a checked bag.
This was a number of years ago but Calm Airlines gave me a very bad time about bringing my camera bag on and (I think) deliberately left my checked bag off the plane to "compensate" for the extra pounds I had. The woman checking me in was definitely biased against photographers. The photographer after me was forced to weigh their coat (they had put lenses in them)! Meanwhile others (non-photographers) had huge bags of stuff which I am sure weighed more than my camera gear. I realized this is only a single individual but Calm Airlines was anything but Calm for me (I had to spend the first day in Churchill in freezing cold without my heavier clothes). So I am not a fan of Calm airlines.
PS. Out of curiosity, I decided to check if Calm Airlines has gotten better or if my experience was abnormal. A look at recent reviews suggest that I was not the only one who had a less than desirable flight:

Last edited:
I've got a pair of Frogg Toggs that I've been using for almost ten years. This year I finally noticed a small leak in one knee. Knee pads slipped one too many times while kneeling on barnacle covered rocks. Easily patched. But in all fairness I'm sure it's not cheap printing those high end logos on the others :rolleyes:
You hit the nail on the head.

This was a number of years ago but Calm Airlines gave me a very bad time about bringing my camera bag on and (I think) deliberately left my checked bag off the plane to "compensate" for the extra pounds I had. The woman checking me in was definitely biased against photographers. The photographer after me was forced to weigh their coat (they had put lenses in them)! Meanwhile others (non-photographers) had huge bags of stuff which I am sure weighed more than my camera gear. I realized this is only a single individual but Calm Airlines was anything but Calm for me (I had to spend the first day in Churchill in freezing cold without my heavier clothes). So I am not a fan of Calm airlines.
PS. Out of curiosity, I decided to check if Calm Airlines has gotten better or if my experience was abnormal. A look at recent reviews suggest that I was not the only one who had a less than desirable flight:
Wow, that is just plain bizarre, considering that many of their passengers are photographers. I was told by someone who leads tours there (not Glenn, who hasn't led a Churchill tour for several years) that they have devised a "valet service" for valuable carry on items whereby they hand carry your precious items to a special place in the baggage hold and then put it back onto the jetway afterward. These items count as "checked baggage," so if you buy the ticket that includes two checked bags it's paid for. This does make me kind of nervous.

And here I thought all Canadians were polite and went out of their way to help :oops: Well, there were those border control folks last time I drove to Haines and back... :rolleyes:

Back