Cleaning Micro fiber lens cloths?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I've read several opinions about cleaning Micro fiber cloths: :unsure:
Only rinse in frresh water, use detergent without oils in them, only water and Vinegar, machine wash, as long as you don't use fabric softeners. What is the best to use to remove the grit that normally is absorbed by the cloth? And how often is it advisable to change for new cloths? HELP!

Good question! I am much more careful with using clean micro fiber clothes after scratching my binoculars by using a dirty one. I wash them after minimal use in our machine at home and by hand on a camping trip. Since I started washing them often and taking several with me, I haven't had a problem.
We don't use fabric softeners. If I have dirty clothes to wash, I hand wash the lens micro fiber cloths instead of adding them to the machine.
Also, I use a high quality clear filter on the front of my lenses. Mostly to facilitate cleaning in very dusty environments.
I try not to change lenses as much as I used to now that I have a cheap 2nd body. This has helped with the rear element.

I've read several opinions about cleaning Micro fiber cloths: :unsure:
Only rinse in frresh water, use detergent without oils in them, only water and Vinegar, machine wash, as long as you don't use fabric softeners. What is the best to use to remove the grit that normally is absorbed by the cloth? And how often is it advisable to change for new cloths? HELP!
I wash them in a mild detergent with warm water, usually by hand. I rinse them in clean water and let them air dry or use the air fluff cycle in my dryer. I trash them once they begin to fray. How often that is depends on how often they’re used. Mine are usually good for a year or so, but sometimes longer.

Back