close up with camcorder ?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

OK bit off the wall
I was thinking of adding a closeup filter to the front of my Panasonic HCX1500 camcorder which has a 62mm thread I could attached to. Nowhere on the internet can I find if it is possible or even tried. Crazy idea yes but just thinking of videoing small insects. if anyone can come up with any thoughts then thank you in advance

Last edited:
OK bit off the wall
I was thinking of adding a closeup lens the the front of my Panasonic HCX1500 camcorder which has a 62mm thread I could attached to. Nowhere on the internet can I find if it is possible or even tried. Crazy idea yes but just thinking of videoing small insects. if anyone can come up with any thoughts then thank you in advance
Sure, a close up diopter(aka close up lens) will work fine on any camera lens including a camcorder lens that's threaded appropriately.

Basically a close up diopter is a lot like reading glasses that dramatically change the close focus distance of the camera/lens. One thing to keep in mind with close up diopters is that you'll lose all normal medium and long distance focusing while the close up lens is attached to the main lens which is fine for dedicated macro work but can make the combo less versatile in some situations with mobile live subjects that are sometimes very close and sometimes farther away (e.g. Butterflies).

Sure, a close up diopter(aka close up lens) will work fine on any camera lens including a camcorder lens that's threaded appropriately.

Basically a close up diopter is a lot like reading glasses that dramatically change the close focus distance of the camera/lens. One thing to keep in mind with close up diopters is that you'll lose all normal medium and long distance focusing while the close up lens is attached to the main lens which is fine for dedicated macro work but can make the combo less versatile in some situations with mobile live subjects that are sometimes very close and sometimes farther away (e.g. Butterflies).
Thank you for getting back to me, I actually changed that to filter instead of lens, my error. I have used them before on DSLR's but never tried with a camcorder. Anyway just this moment ordered a very cheap set of 4 , mainly as a tryout first, should be interesting to see if it works or not

Back