Clothing when out in nature

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Thought it might be interesting for others to share the type and/or brand of clothes we wear when we are out in nature capturing our photos.
This can of course be in tropical Asia, the scorching heat in a desert region or in a freezer somewhere in Canada, Wyoming or Arctic regions :).

1. General climate
Indeed, not in a place that is too hot or too cold. This is where I love wearing hiking pants and have pants from Lundhags, Beyond Nordic, Revolution Race and Vaude.
Depending on the terrain is that a pair of Meindl high shoe or a lower hiking shoe from Revolution Race.
Currently either wearing cotton polo shirts or cotton long sleeve shirts but on the look for shirts and polos with technical fabrics.
Hard shell jackets I have Fjallraven, RAB and Snickers, each with their own usage.
A softshell from Mammut

2. Hot & humid
I dislike shorts so I go for light hiking or walking pants from the same brands as above.
Polo shirts are currently been tested but like my Craghopper long sleeve shirts to keep the mosquitos away and they are fast drying.

3. Extreme cold
When temperature is to drop to -20C or below is that time to take out the serious warm clothing.
- Long Johns from Woolpower
- Insulated trouser from Jack Wolfskin
- Water resistant trouser/pants from Sprayway (Hydrolite)
- Basic layer from Woolpower or Icebreaker
- Mid layer from Woolpower
- Soft shell from Mammut or Schöffel
- Hardshell from RAB
- Down jacket from RAB
- Beanie from Devold
- Gloves from Hestra, Valleret or Inuheat
- Socks from Woolpower
- Boots from Muck Boots, model Artic Ice

Recent shoot for a surfboard brand in the tropics: shorts, flip-flops, scarf, l/s tee and a Stetson. 🤠 Cigar (not shown) to keep the flies at bay.

N Natan (1 of 1).jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Keep rain in mind as a possible issue. A lightweight compressible jacket with hood can come in handy to shield your camera and lens from the unexpected elements. It was sprinkling here in the Galapagos and it was easy to cover camera & lens…..
DSC_0023.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

From hot to mega cold, for sitting still to 'working', from socks and underwear to hats and gloves, and everything in between (the four or five various layers) I'm clothed almost entirely these days in Kuiu brand clothing. Their target audience is hunters in all conditions/seasons and I find the requirements of the hunter with a gun are identical to that of me, hunter with a camera. The gear fabric and features are highly technical and aimed at different 'hunts' which translates to different wildlife scenarios -- wetlands; mountains, desert, etc. I also own some of their 'equipment' -- hiking poles, submersible bags, bear spray harness, etc. Only downside is in Canadian dollars, the gear is not cheap; but zero issues with quality. I'm nearly as big a fan boy of Kuiu as of Nikon :) Always demanded that technical gear not let me down (e.g. when something is supposed to be waterproof it's waterproof no matter the rainfall, or if something's supposed to protect to a stated low temperature, it does so) given failure can definitely translate to harm. Oh, the other downside is since now almost all my wildlife clothing is technical (and mostly all of one type or another camouflage) I can when on an 'urban wildlife shoot' look like an ass when I step out of a wooded area that is 500 metres from what is effectively a major city intersection LOL

Old style (1960-80s) army fatigues are very practical for temperate to subtropical climates; Lots of pockets, sun protection and ties on the pant cuffs to keep out ticks and other tiny critters. For rough terrain, high-top boots are a wise choice. leather boots are best for cold and to keep foxtails and other sticky things from getting into fabric boots. Remember the popular plastic based outdoor clothing leaves nano-particles everywhere. Knit shirts will snag if you go through foliage.
As for camouflage, a retire professional tuner stated that the most import part of you to disguise is your face. Even color-blind writers will key in on a face.

I'm using a military surplus camo jacket for its pockets and nearly everything else was either donated to me (NPS and Denali Hotel surplus from a friend) or sourced from REI when I qualified for an employee discount. Plus a wide-brim camo hat which doubles as part of my lightweight blind.

The one item that I'm brand-focused on is hiking pants. The Fjalraven Keb pants has a long enough zipper that #1 in the wilds is comfortable.

the one thing I avoid is camo gear as in many countries they do not want you wearing such items. I wear hearing aids so I try to avoid a lot of sweat so if it’s hot I wear Shorts and use deet if necessary. I like sturdy water proof shoes and cargo pants both long and short. I’m cheap when it comes to clothing so I look thru the bargain shops like goodwill and often find decent stuff for a few bucks. I will never wear sandals or flip flops.

From hot to mega cold, for sitting still to 'working', from socks and underwear to hats and gloves, and everything in between (the four or five various layers) I'm clothed almost entirely these days in Kuiu brand clothing. Their target audience is hunters in all conditions/seasons and I find the requirements of the hunter with a gun are identical to that of me, hunter with a camera. The gear fabric and features are highly technical and aimed at different 'hunts' which translates to different wildlife scenarios -- wetlands; mountains, desert, etc. I also own some of their 'equipment' -- hiking poles, submersible bags, bear spray harness, etc. Only downside is in Canadian dollars, the gear is not cheap; but zero issues with quality. I'm nearly as big a fan boy of Kuiu as of Nikon :) Always demanded that technical gear not let me down (e.g. when something is supposed to be waterproof it's waterproof no matter the rainfall, or if something's supposed to protect to a stated low temperature, it does so) given failure can definitely translate to harm. Oh, the other downside is since now almost all my wildlife clothing is technical (and mostly all of one type or another camouflage) I can when on an 'urban wildlife shoot' look like an ass when I step out of a wooded area that is 500 metres from what is effectively a major city intersection LOL
I second the Kuiu brand of clothing. Like said, it’s not cheap but very high quality and technical. Never been disappointed in any of their clothing.

Danner Vital Trail boots are the most comfortable ever, good grip tread that doesn't hold a lot of mud, waterproof, not expensive.

Pro Ears Gold over the ears hearing protectors first purchased for the shooting range they keep my Ears Warm and I can hear every little noise better than without them.

the one thing I avoid is camo gear as in many countries they do not want you wearing such items. I wear hearing aids so I try to avoid a lot of sweat so if it’s hot I wear Shorts and use deet if necessary. I like sturdy water proof shoes and cargo pants both long and short. I’m cheap when it comes to clothing so I look thru the bargain shops like goodwill and often find decent stuff for a few bucks. I will never wear sandals or flip flops.
Hi Mac… Your comments on camo in foreign countries could be important. Who wants extra scrutiny from ”Customs” or security because you’re dressed like an insurgent…..

I can’t remember which countries they were but we encountered this warning on at least two occasions. I just try to wear gray or brown colors to avoid scaring wildlife. I think it would generally be in countries with a more unstable political situation. I’m pretty sure one was in Africa and one was in South America.

My shirts for the tropics are made by Dakota Grizzly and they are 100% nylon and breathe very well and are quick drying. The sleeves roll up to the elbow and can be secured with a button and tab arrangement. For cooler weather the Redington shirts are very well made and in muted green shades. I learned when doing boat deliveries to the Caribbean that cotton was terrible and what got we would stay wet for weeks until I could reach land and a clothes dryer.

For overseas travel I dress down and wear an inexpensive watch. I want to look less like an ugly American wherever we travel. That means no white t-shirts and running shoes and dark shirts and black pants.

All our pants, shirts, hats, socks, mosquito netting, I treat at home with a permethrin spray solution I make at a strength that lasts for months and through dozens of washings. All my shoes and boots are waterproof so no worries about rain or wet grass or mud.

Camo is always on me when I'm out to photograph wildlife, my stuff is a mix of various manufacturers but the most long-wearing is military surplus. I'm hard on clothing, so I really don't care who made it because it will soon be replaced.

Back