Clothing when out in nature

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I do not have a favorable perception of people in camo clothing. It comes across as an affectation and going with solid muted colors provides 20x as many choices. What has always struck me as funny are camo products like flashlights and underwear, but they evidently sell quite well.

A coworker of my wife traveled extensively in Mexico where he photographed the caves. He advised not wearing jewelry or an expensive watch and clothing that would allow one to blend in with the locals. I have found his advice worth following as it makes it easier to approach the locals in an area.

Most of what I have learned about wildlife is that they are likely to be spooked by the movement of a person and that even a poncho or camo blanket that breaks up the outline can be very effective. Sitting still is effective regardless of what one happens to be wearing. More important to avoid light colored clothing that attracts ticks.

I remember being in Africa and watching a group of tourists one of whom was wearing a white shirt and noticed how it really stood out as not looking natural. The guide commented on it saying that wearing bright unnatural clothing can make wildlife more skittish especially mammals. Apparently birds not so much. I still prefer drab brown or gray clothing when in the field.

I do not have a favorable perception of people in camo clothing. It comes across as an affectation and going with solid muted colors provides 20x as many choices. What has always struck me as funny are camo products like flashlights and underwear, but they evidently sell quite well.

A coworker of my wife traveled extensively in Mexico where he photographed the caves. He advised not wearing jewelry or an expensive watch and clothing that would allow one to blend in with the locals. I have found his advice worth following as it makes it easier to approach the locals in an area.

Most of what I have learned about wildlife is that they are likely to be spooked by the movement of a person and that even a poncho or camo blanket that breaks up the outline can be very effective. Sitting still is effective regardless of what one happens to be wearing. More important to avoid light colored clothing that attracts ticks.

I used to live and shoot exclusively in an area where animals were hunted aggressively. Unless I shot at a zoo, botanic garden, or city park, I had to wear full camo and set up a hide. I now live in an area where animals are better habituated, but at times, I still shoot in a location that requires full camo and a blind.

Last edited:
I’m curious what one is photographing where full camo is required. I would think a blind and good field craft would serve except in the most extreme cases. I’m no longer a hunter so I can’t speak for the need in that case.

Shades of green or khaki's or grays in any combo are my colours for the African bush, long sleeves advisable.

Dont forget head gear and high SPF sun protection. UV protection is a critical requirement often ignored on exposed skin, even during the winter months this is advisable.

Very good topics :) the long run for perfect clothing, it takes me years ...

My practice : Photography only from a prepared hide where I know wildlife is around.
Two phases : Hike to the hide in the mountain and then stay static for several hours, then move to another hide and so on.
Climate : between 20°C up to minus 20°C depending on season obviously.
Requirement : stay warm and silent
Wind is also a key element if coming from North and I have to stay static for a couple of hours I'll ensure to have additional layer or a simple wool blanket can do the job.

Top:
First layer is a fishnet to quickly evacuate sweat during hike (Norwegian or Sweden brand like Bryjne, Woolpower, Aclima, Devold and so on have very good product).
this is for me the key element, it keeps you dry wherever it's hot or cold.
Second First layer is a Merino shirt (150g/m² to 250g/m²) depending on temperature
Second Layer will be wool a kind of turtleneck sweater, usually from a local craftsman
Third layer when it's cold will be a wool anorak, very good brands in Canada for this if also windy an additional canva anroak layer to protect from wind may be needed
if it's not so cold (above 0° C) then I will go a for a light wind protection like a Wind Cheater, this to avoid wind to steal your heat.
and last in the backpack something to protect from rain

Bottom:
usually for legs, a long john when cold and a wool pant either light or heavy (important to stay quiet), if it's really hot then a coton pants either army surplus, Kuiu, Duer, tons of brands here I guess. key is silent for me.

Hands:
Mittens in wool made custom with only forefinger and thumb opened. add to this some USGI Artic mittens when it's really cold, that's it.

Feet:
Leather boots or hunting boots from Crispi, Lundhags, Paraboot and so on are good, up to calf, as I pack relatively heavy and in mountain terrain I need something who protect the hankle. Obviously, you need to brake them before real hike, otherwise it will be a nightmare.

Head:
A wool beret and a beanie if really cold and a neck gaiter (merino again).

To break human form in hide, I find that one or two nets are good.

Usually hunting brands have product who match our requirements.
no camo, either green, brown or this kind of gray

Hope this help.
Keep dry, warm and silent :)

I remember being in Africa and watching a group of tourists one of whom was wearing a white shirt and noticed how it really stood out as not looking natural. The guide commented on it saying that wearing bright unnatural clothing can make wildlife more skittish especially mammals. Apparently birds not so much. I still prefer drab brown or gray clothing when in the field.
A belted kingfisher is a universal one. It took me 3-4 years of trial and error to get photos of one. Also, in the South, ducks, deer, turkeys, etc. are hunted aggressively and will not allow you to get close if they're aware of your presence. Full camo is required. The same was often true of songbirds. It's a different world when shooting animals in urban areas or national parks that are habituated to people.

I have photographed all of these subjects as I live in Alabama. I’ve done ducks from my Car and with kingfisher I find the best way is wait for them to come to you. You cannot get close going to them in any type of clothing, the movement will scare them. Same goes for wild turkeys where usually it’s a chance encounter. No doubt there are places where it is more difficult but in Alabama everything is a target. I don’t generally have too much trouble with songbirds, just being where they are is the hardest part for me. Bosque Del Apache is great for ducks and turkeys As is Louisiana. I dont know of any of the serious photographers in my area who wear camo. I would be tempted to say if one really needs camo then maybe a different location might offer a better option.

Thought it might be interesting for others to share the type and/or brand of clothes we wear when we are out in nature capturing our photos.
This can of course be in tropical Asia, the scorching heat in a desert region or in a freezer somewhere in Canada, Wyoming or Arctic regions :).

1. General climate
Indeed, not in a place that is too hot or too cold. This is where I love wearing hiking pants and have pants from Lundhags, Beyond Nordic, Revolution Race and Vaude.
Depending on the terrain is that a pair of Meindl high shoe or a lower hiking shoe from Revolution Race.
Currently either wearing cotton polo shirts or cotton long sleeve shirts but on the look for shirts and polos with technical fabrics.
Hard shell jackets I have Fjallraven, RAB and Snickers, each with their own usage.
A softshell from Mammut

2. Hot & humid
I dislike shorts so I go for light hiking or walking pants from the same brands as above.
Polo shirts are currently been tested but like my Craghopper long sleeve shirts to keep the mosquitos away and they are fast drying.

3. Extreme cold
When temperature is to drop to -20C or below is that time to take out the serious warm clothing.
- Long Johns from Woolpower
- Insulated trouser from Jack Wolfskin
- Water resistant trouser/pants from Sprayway (Hydrolite)
- Basic layer from Woolpower or Icebreaker
- Mid layer from Woolpower
- Soft shell from Mammut or Schöffel
- Hardshell from RAB
- Down jacket from RAB
- Beanie from Devold
- Gloves from Hestra, Valleret or Inuheat
- Socks from Woolpower
- Boots from Muck Boots, model Artic Ice
I'm from Buffalo so cold isn't even in our vocabulary. This is standard winter garb, and as the temperatures warm we start shedding clothing.

IMG_1434.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

I’m curious what one is photographing where full camo is required. I would think a blind and good field craft would serve except in the most extreme cases. I’m no longer a hunter so I can’t speak for the need in that case.
I was an avid bow hunter for years. In Texas, most of that was from a pop up blind. The inside is black, so my camouflage is a black shirt and face cover. When we would hunt elk in Wyoming and Colorado, we wore camouflage because we were moving and calling. The last elk that I took with a bow was walking straight toward me. He was looking for the caller that was 60-70 yards behind me. The bull was at 12 yards when I released my arrow. I was standing up in an opening. Had I moved at all, he would have seen me. Our biggest issue when attempting to have animals close up is human scent. Have to play the wind. Blending into the environment and minimizing movement are important as well.

I approach wildlife photography (primarily game animals) the same way.

Although I have a small pop-up blind I seldom use it -- it's a pain in the a-s to carry, takes time to set up and all that movement and sound frightens wildlife, then it's a pain to pack up and carry again. If you have a place where a blind can be set up and left in place for a week, or a month, or a year that would be alright but on public land you won't have your blind very long. With full camo I can slowly and quietly walk to a spot and get set up in seconds with no sudden movements or sound and wildlife soon forgets you're there. Full camo disrupts your outline so even if critters know you're in the area they have trouble locating you. Another benefit is that people either don't see you or think you're a nut and stay away -- a benefit in either case.

I have photographed all of these subjects as I live in Alabama. I’ve done ducks from my Car and with kingfisher I find the best way is wait for them to come to you. You cannot get close going to them in any type of clothing, the movement will scare them. Same goes for wild turkeys where usually it’s a chance encounter. No doubt there are places where it is more difficult but in Alabama everything is a target. I don’t generally have too much trouble with songbirds, just being where they are is the hardest part for me. Bosque Del Apache is great for ducks and turkeys As is Louisiana. I dont know of any of the serious photographers in my area who wear camo. I would be tempted to say if one really needs camo then maybe a different location might offer a better option.

I am not sure what the point is here. Different locations have different challenges. I used to live on the most hunted flyway in the country for ducks. It doesn't sound like your experience with waterfowl was similar. Sure, I could have gone and photographed tame mallards and wood ducks at a botanical garden, but for someone who grew up in the outdoors, that wasn't the experience I was after. Moreover, such urban parks did not have the same subjects as the wildlife refuges I preferred. Further, my style is to shoot at eye level with close subjects so that portraits are intimate and contain plenty of feather detail. Shooting from a car wasn't an option, and wearing anything but full camouflage and getting to my location at least 30 minutes before sunrise would've resulted in seeing ducks from 400 yards away at the closest. As to your comment about waiting for a kingfisher to come to you, that is how one gets the best photographs of any subject, which is yet another reason camouflage is often helpful; it makes skittish animals more comfortable in your presence and allows for them to come to you sooner.

Last edited:
Sounds like we’re getting into a pissing match here so I’m gonna bow out. For the record I never photograph in a zoo or park but I do go to National and state parks where birds can be found. If you feel you need camo go for it. I couldn’t care less. All I was saying was that there are countries where they will not take kindly to you wearing camo. That I have run into in my past travels. Take it or leave it.

Sounds like we’re getting into a pissing match here so I’m gonna bow out. For the record I never photograph in a zoo or park but I do go to National and state parks where birds can be found. If you feel you need camo go for it. I couldn’t care less. All I was saying was that there are countries where they will not take kindly to you wearing camo. That I have run into in my past travels. Take it or leave it.
I have very little experience shooting abroad, although I did shoot birds in Iceland a couple summers ago. Of course, camouflage was unnecessary there. Camouflage is also generally unnecessary where I live now, although it is necessary when I try to shoot waterfowl that is hunted and not habituated to people. My only point is that there are lots of places and subjects in the US for which camouflage is necessary. In my experience, however, most photographers shy away from those places and subjects for perfectly logical reasons--it's hard and time consuming to come away with decent photographs in those places and of those subjects. It is much easier and more productive to go to places where animals are habituated, and one can just walk right up to the preferred subject. I do it all the time now myself, but I still find the more difficult subjects to be more fulfilling.

I think the difference here is you are also hunting and I am only photographing so I’m not quite as concerned with getting the perfect position and also I usually handhold and like to hike so I’m not using blinds as often though if they are available and in a good spot I don’t hesitate. I gave up hunting years ago and only photograph except squirrel control in my yard on occasion. I do remember being surprised about the restrictions on wearing camo when overseas although it didn’t affect me. I can’t remember what country it was but it was in Africa and another time in South America. I am pretty sure it had to do with an unstable local political situation. I usually go with a wildlife guide and to my knowledge no one on any of these trips wore camo including the guides. I would say if you are planning travel overseas I would make sure camo is OK where you are going as I have heard they can be very strict. It would be a drag to ruin a vacation due to a choice of clothing.

Recent shoot for a surfboard brand in the tropics: shorts, flip-flops, scarf, l/s tee and a Stetson. 🤠 Cigar (not shown) to keep the flies at bay.

View attachment 89547
Ahhh. Hemingway w/camera😅… Nimi has the smarts to wear a long-sleeve shirt. Nothing can ruin your trip like a sunburn 🥵…. Cover up in the tropics and beaches.👍

Back