If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Ken Miracle

Supporting Member
Marketplace
We had an irruption of Common Loons in April of 2023. Theory is the heavy snow and ice in the high mountain lakes to the north of Boise made them stop over here for about a month where they had plenty of food in local lakes and large ponds right here in Boise, Idaho ... 3 were on a pond a 5 minute walk from my front door.

Z91_4852.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
Z92_8881.jpg
Z92_9084-Enhanced-NR.jpg
Z92_9236.jpg

Nah.......can have to many like these!
You are right I will have to keep some like a bunch of one breaking of the pincers and other feet from a crayfish etc.. :) I deleted a bunch from earlier far out on big water images this morning with I searched for common loons in my Lightroom catalog.

Extremely nice photos! I haven't had the pleasure to shoot the loon yet.
Thank You ... They do come through here in migration but normally in small numbers with a quick stop at some large reservoirs and so a long way away ... this was the most at once in town any of the long time birders in the area could remember. Hope you get to encounter one soon ... their call is a favorite of mine.