Confused about exposure compensation on Z8

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Well, the reason I am even on this thread in the first place is that that failed miserably for me, since the EVF did not indeed show anything remotely resembling the amount of underexposure that was set.
I'm not sure how it can fail miserably if you have the option enabled to show the effects of your settings.

Well, the reason I am even on this thread in the first place is that that failed miserably for me, since the EVF did not indeed show anything remotely resembling the amount of underexposure that was set.

Remind me what camera?

I did no have the option enabled because I find it to be the opposite of helpful most of the time. I made the mistake of assuming that the viewfinder actually tells me how I have set the camera.
Well...yeah, if you don't have the option enabled to see the effects of your settings, you're not going to see the effects of your settings. I'm not sure what you expected to happen here?

Last edited:
Actually, what y'all haven't mentioned, and what really was my main mistake was failing to look at the histogram. As for pushing the exp button, since I assumed that the scale was already telling me that, I had no reason to do so. I was photographing things that were not static, so rushed.

Also an option, but it doesn't show what the final image will look like, just the amount of comp dialed. Different core problems.
THAT is the reason you set the camera to WYSIWYG - What you see is in the viewfinder is what you get! Custom setting d8

1723501067557.png

THAT is the reason you set the camera to WYSIWYG - What you see is in the viewfinder is what you get! Custom setting d8

View attachment 95224
Actually, I just checked my camera, and I do and did have it set to show effects of settings [always]. I guess it was the other setting that I tried and did not like. Maybe the reason the show effects option did not help me is because I have it set to max brightness.

Back