Conowingo Dam, Does and Don't and a Cautionary tail.

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Mark Garfinkel

Supporting Member
Marketplace
At times it gets crowded at Fishermen's Warf at Conowingo Dam, having a 6' or 7'gun turret may at times may not be the wisest. I was told that this is Fisherman's Warf, not Photographer's Warf,. as several weeks ago I heard the stories and until last Sunday, I saw the gun turret for myself.

#10 is the 100's of birds waiting to feed, sitting and waiting on the lower rocks across from Fisher Warf along with several pairs of eagles and Osprey. Though most of the Osprey have headed south. The eagles still put on a good show for those that has a 800mm+.

The bird that I spent my time photographing was a Double-crested Cormorant #11. Watching him surface dive and most of the time coming up with a fish. The fun was watching him dive and then guess where he would surface with or without a meal. I was right about 50% of the time, and it became an enjoyable game for me.
As you drive the steep entrance on Shures Landing Rd at the main gate, you'll be greeted by 50 to 100+ smelly, dirty Black Vultures. There are warning signs about how they eat all black rubber trim on your car, but some don't heed the warning. The number of birds at the entrance is nothing that compares to the number that are hanging around the towers across the river. #20, they ate the black rubber straps on the bike rack and finished off the front windshield wipers. The car in #22 & #25, well they ate away at any black trim they could nibble away at.. I tried to clapping and yell at the birds, but they have intestinal fortitude and are not easily intimidated. Hope full the State of Maryland will do some Black Vulture control for Thanksgiving. Bring a canvas cover for your vehicle or have someone stand guard, as these birds can do a lot of damage.

Attachments

• 2 7' Diameter.JPG
    2 7' Diameter.JPG
    713.4 KB · Views: 190
  • 10 Hundreds Waiting.JPG
    10 Hundreds Waiting.JPG
    718.1 KB · Views: 188
  • 11 Hanging on By a Thread.JPG
    11 Hanging on By a Thread.JPG
    510.7 KB · Views: 179
  • 21 They Smell.JPG
    21 They Smell.JPG
    880.7 KB · Views: 181
  • 20 Wrong Time to Leave.JPG
    20 Wrong Time to Leave.JPG
    524.7 KB · Views: 186
  • 21 They Smell.JPG
    21 They Smell.JPG
    429.2 KB · Views: 177
  • 22 Dirty up the place.JPG
    22 Dirty up the place.JPG
    603.4 KB · Views: 198
  • 25 Hundreds More.JPG
    25 Hundreds More.JPG
    562.3 KB · Views: 196
Last edited:
The vultures have been eating rubber on cars in Florida and probably a lot of other locations for at least decades! I really don't think it is something the States can edict/fix.

I love seeing the guy with the big turret setup. He is very generous with his time and with kids. I can't remember his name for the life of me but I hope to see him there again soon. He crafted that entire cantilevered swivel rig himself and uses all kinds of aids like a targeting scope on his shoe mount and a large side monitor to review his images. I don't begrudge him the space, it's first-come-first-serve and how else is a fella of his age and condition to wield a 600mm with a 2x TC?

And yes, the vulture problem is real... it died down for a while because unfortunately a lot of vultures succumbed to an avian flu recently, but I guess their numbers have replenished and others have decided to stick around the area. It's good eating for them.

Last edited:
The vultures have been eating rubber on cars in Florida and probably a lot of other locations for at least decades! I really don't think it is something the States can edict/fix.
I last visited Everglades National Park about ten years ago, and while parked in one of the the lots, none of the vultures bothered my vehicle, but they did do a lot of damage to one vehicle. It was as though they all go together and agreed to dine on the trim of that one vehicle. I can't believe that eating that "stuff" does them much good.

As far as the photo captions concerning their smell and intestinal fortitude, years ago I learned vicariously that while they have an offensive odor about them, it is nothng compared to the regurgitated contents of their previous meal. Also, that you don't want to sharply startle a tree full of them while you're underneath them; as my friend did. One of their defense mechanisms is to physically present the contents of their previous meal onto a poor sap standing under them when that happens. 🤮

Last edited:
Back